Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Just joined the club with a cruiser!

Steve-o1987

Country Flag
uk
Hello everyone,

Just joined up and introducing myself, been a long time lurker and finally took the plunge. Took 6 months finding the “right” cruiser. Pick up my new motor on Saturday and very excited! 2001 Colorado 3.0 d4d VX. 160k miles, meticulously serviced and well looked after going off documents. Also my partners Auntie knows the gentleman it came from, plenty of money and OCD with cars so no expenses spared. Just recently had belts done, new radiator and getting new discs and pads on front before I collect.

Drove great and fell in love with it instantly after the long hunt. I’m no stranger to 4x4’s just haven’t been with a land cruiser yet. Always wanted one for years so very excited now. And hoping to learn plenty more about them from you guys.

Steve

FF6164E9-C0E8-4B86-9467-C5D2A1F818D4.jpeg 66CC348B-19F8-4F8A-AADF-396326D70953.jpeg 02E0F275-9E87-408E-BB15-9439891FC6CA.jpeg

Well done you it sounds like a real good one and welcome to the forum .

Do you have any plans for modification ?

Well done you it sounds like a real good one and welcome to the forum .

Do you have any plans for modification ?

Thanks for the welcome. I think first will be getting a good set of AT tyres on, and researching more into a 2” lift. Drive on quite a bit of mixed terrain where I live/work - hillbilly farmer you see.

New more aggressive tyres always look great and then we get a suspension lift and start thinking maybe they look a bit small .....................

Its a slippery slope we all fell down :lol:

New more aggressive tyres always look great and then we get a suspension lift and start thinking maybe they look a bit small .....................

Its a slippery slope we all fell down :lol:
That’s the problem I’ve been down that slippery slope many a time, can’t see it changing this time haha no matter how many times I tell myself I’ll be sensible

There isn't a great deal you can do to the 90 series but if it can be done it has been done and you will find it on the forum :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welcome Steve, Most of the folk on here have owned a Colorado 95 at some point.. So there are plenty of threads covering Most things.. And a decent amount of Knowledge is here too.. Cracking looking Truck Mate:thumbup:

Welcome Steve, that looks a cracking Collie, I had a VX D4D for a couple of years and loved it. I hope you've given it a real examination underneath especially from the mid silencer back. The chassis are well known for rotting from the inside out at this point and also the top arms can pull out of the chassis if there is excessive rust. The back axle too, the turrets to the top links are well documented for corroding away as they provide a rust trap resulting in them becoming detached. Rear bumper mountings and that general area can become crusty as well, along with fuel tanks and tank guards . I hope yours are ok but it is something to consider.
This corrosion issue is one of the factors in me letting the D4D go and a year after I sold it the rear axle turret pulled off the axle case.

Welcome Steve, that looks a cracking Collie, I had a VX D4D for a couple of years and loved it. I hope you've given it a real examination underneath especially from the mid silencer back. The chassis are well known for rotting from the inside out at this point and also the top arms can pull out of the chassis if there is excessive rust. The back axle too, the turrets to the top links are well documented for corroding away as they provide a rust trap resulting in them becoming detached. Rear bumper mountings and that general area can become crusty as well, along with fuel tanks and tank guards . I hope yours are ok but it is something to consider.
This corrosion issue is one of the factors in me letting the D4D go and a year after I sold it the rear axle turret pulled off the axle case.
Thanks Andy, I actually managed to get it up on a ramp for a good look. Obviously not rust free but considering age I was fairly pleased with the state of it. Going through the receipts I’ve seen it was under sealed professionally 6 years ago. Patches coming through now so will be looking at treating it myself come January/February when I get time. My intention is to keep the car indefinitely. So I’ll be treating it like a lady haha. I had a look at a fair few rust buckets before this popped up.

When I get the time when I treat it il get some pics up of the underside may be helpful for other buyers as we can point out spots where they are prone to rust.

Last edited:
The lack of encouragement and exemptions for alternative fuels just shows again how ULEZ has nothing to do with air quality and the environment.

:text-threadjacked:

I'd like to apologize on everyone behalf Steve-01987 and suggest you start a new thread regarding your first cruiser in the 90 series section of the forum :thumbup:

And grinning from ear to ear no doubt :thumbup:
I’m back now, absolutely love it already. Had some great cars in the past but this genuinely makes me happy. Such a smooth and effortless thing to drive. Gonna get some new pics up tomorrow in better lighting after a good clean up. Will keep you posted in new thread as I’m off tyre shopping next week too haha

Awesome

Looking forward to the pictures.

what tires you thinking of?

:text-threadjacked:

I'd like to apologize on everyone behalf Steve-01987 and suggest you start a new thread regarding your first cruiser in the 90 series section of the forum :thumbup:

What Shayne said. I've moved the threads to another thread. It was like "Hey everyone, I've had my first son!" and someone barrelled in "Yeah, I got twins. Soz"

Thread has been moved.

Welcome Steve. That 90 looks like show-room condition!

What Shayne said. I've moved the threads to another thread. It was like "Hey everyone, I've had my first son!" and someone barrelled in "Yeah, I got twins. Soz"

Thread has been moved.

Welcome Steve. That 90 looks like show-room condition!
Thanks Crispin! Proud father is heading out to the yard now to further clean they boy up then taking him out for some photography work haha! I’ll report back this afternoon, still over the moon with it. The first car that has truly soothed the heart break of letting my RS4 go that’s how much I think of it already

An rs4 to a 90 landcruiser :)
In the 90 you'll need to gauge the next green light for a quick getaway!

They're great vehicles. Enjoy!

An rs4 to a 90 landcruiser :)
In the 90 you'll need to gauge the next green light for a quick getaway!

They're great vehicles. Enjoy!
Haha I know!
Still got a 3.0tdi Quattro a5, grand vitara ( cheap work horse, never let me down yet ) and the 90 now. Also have a new Jimny on order hopefully ready between March/September they said but that’s mainly for the Mrs but got plans for modification on that little Tonka toy

Back