Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Key won't lock door after new battery install

BroLip

Country Flag
united_states
Hello Everyone,
I put new batteries in the key of my 1999 LC and now it won't lock, unlock the doors and the panic button doesn't work. I talked to the dealer and they want $75 to "see" if they can fix it.
Anybody got any ideas?

At a guess, it's lost the code and needs reprogramming. Not exactly difficult, and hardly a $75 job.

I figured that. Gotta love a car dealership. Is it something I can do?

Did you put the battries in the correct way round? Start with the easy things.
Stu

I would expect the reprogramming instructions are online somewhere.

I vaguely recall something like this happening to helen's rover , i phoned rover expecting a ludicrous bill but they just said something like , put the key in the door and turn it left 3 times - right 4 times - and left again twice , and that was it fixed . Phone and ask you never know ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I double checked the battery and I called the dealer already. They won't even look for less than $75. I found several things online but most of those are for programming a new key and didn't work on mine. I'm gonna look online to see if I can find a locksmith locally that knows.

How about phoning a different Toyota dealer and telling them your alarm went off for no reason and now your locked out of your car , that might get a code out of them ?

Try holding both buttons (lock / unlock) at the same time for a few seconds when stood next to the car. I think that's what I had to do when replacing the batteries in my 120 fobs.

Have an ask on the IH8MUD forum there is bound to be someone local to you who can help or advise.

If you where close to me I would lend you my computer but you are the other side of the pond.

Found this but its for a 90 series , worth a try though http://www.lcool.org/technical/90_series/security/prado_key.html

And just thought of something else , the locksmith/shoe repair set up in my local Morrisons supermarket told me last week they can electronically duplicate many but not all keys , if i had your problem i would take the key down and have him scan the chip , perhaps the code is actually in the key itself ?

Last edited:
Won't work on a 100 (as I found out a couple of weeks back) and that only deals with the transponder chip for the ignition, not the remote locking.

Removing the battery shouldn't cause any problems as it is often done as a safety measure , why not write a letter of complaint to Toyota head office . My Mrs wrote to Hyundai complaining that her steering rack failed 3 months after a full main dealer service . She got a full refund for the repair .
Dealers make excuses to print money whereas manufacturers spend millions on advertisement and are quick to understand that bad feedback from an average bloke with a computer is 10 times more powerful than any fancy advertisement .

Either the new battery is faulty, or the key chip is faulty, or there's a lack of contact between the two.
There is no reprogramming to do or any chance of the ECU loosing it.
Last possibility: The problem was in the car all the time - no need for battery change...

What's the voltage of the button cell battery?

Back