Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser Colorado VX model 2000 (X) value help and knowing which engine!

godzilla

Country Flag
scotland
HI Guys,

Not been on for a while (work, family and the usual stuff).

Saw a 2000 colo VX (leathers) the other day and wanted some help to see what the valuation should be roughly for a 100K model?

Saw a for sale sign with some basic info on a A4 piece of paper.

Before I ring the chap, thought I better arm myself with some info upfront.

Phone number, X reg, 2000, VX, 100K (peering through the window looksee) was all that was on the piece. I guess they want interested parties to ring and no price!

What value is a model of this age changing hands for (price range)?

Engine sould it be? I sure there is 2 or 3 versions, need to look it up,

Any help, would be great, as was planning to ring the number and asking for the info - but if I go in with a guide, I will know that, I am buying with the right market price bracket.

I know that FSH etc., will put on a premium on the price, but worth knowing before hand!

Cheers guys

ITS a 3.0 TD!

Last edited:
I'm assuming it's a UK car, if so, then it will either be a 3.4 V6 petrol or a 3.0TD 4 cyl Turbo diesel. (I don't think that it is late enough to be a D4D 3.0TD, which were introduced in 2001 and on "Y" plate onwards IIRC).

I'll assume it's a 3.0TD, as they are more common: Pricewise, it's hard to say as it is a 15 year old car and all really depends on condition and history etc. Again assuming both are good, I would be looking at around £3k, give or take. Probably £3.5k for a really good 3.0TD.

If it's a petrol, then does it have a (decent) LPG install with certificates etc? If so, then £3k is probably a decent ballpark assuming all else is good.

Obviously this is all IMHO - I'm not in the trade or claim to be some sort of expert.

Good luck. :thumbup:

cheers Chad

Checked my piece of paper and forgot to write down its a 3.0 TD diesel

Gave in and rang the guys and he wants 4K!

I now writing list a list of questions re: FSH and belts

Let says it top and all things done - will that push towards the 4K or is the 3.5K the industry standard at the moment?

Tough one as my budget is 4K oddly enough

and was even considering putting a wanted AD on here

Wondering if he still on the winter premium price

After July 2000 the D4D came to UK but i've search for a swb one many a time without success . If it has a D4D the badge will be on the wings and it might add a grand to the typical 3.5k for a good 3.0TD with leather seats . It's likely a 1kz-te .

Just a few bargaining points for you - the seat belts will be rubbish at retracting (they all are about 150 each to replace) centre console lid will probably be broken (about 150 quid from Toyota last time i asked) if its an auto the radiator is due changing .

Cheers Shane

Will check on those points

Rad as in the unit itself?

It is a auto and the engine I had narrowed it down to the 2982cc, but could not figure the engine. Just waiting for the chap has checked and confirmed as he was driving!

Just debating if the 4K is worth it, even if the service is 80-90% up to scratch!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't have an auto so i'm not the guy to advise you on it but it seems to be what they all do on here , i'm sure somebody will be along soon to explain why . Is 4k worth it :think: you have a choice of collies at 3.5k , these trucks are getting old and most passed 100k a couple of years ago at least , have a look around at whats available and ask yourself is this one worth 500 quid more , i think leather seats would swing that for me but some like em and some don't .

Cheers Shane

That's the question which I have been asking myself GX vs VX!

There is some bonus to be gained, just waiting for that SH info.

If I can clear up the belt and other bits recently done, I could have a clearer picture.

There is loads of colos in the 3.5K range as you mentioned but up to the 150K mark!

Thought of a 100K model will allow me to get up to 150K in 3-4years time is also swing it.

Anything to listen out for a TD model?

Rust any common places for this years model? First 2000 model I will be look at

heck, barely a SH and only MOTs kept! Thats a deal changer,

Not sure, if thats worth it or a risk?

Ouch nobody but yourself can make that call ? all i can say is they are tough trucks and if it looks good underneath and drives well its unlikely to prove a catastrophic mistake ..... still its a lot of money to gamble with . Rear diff locks are often seized through lack of use and can be expensive to repair . I bought mine without even looking at the service history and booked it straight in to Toyota for a full service , new timing belt the works , and their 160 point check given it was my first car so i didn't know what to look for and i didn't trust myself to pick up on a fault while looking through rose tinted goggles . Cost me £1200 but that's main dealer robbery for you , i think the only real fault they found was a broken drop link and what are they about 7 quid and 7 minutes work to change for which they charged me about 50 quid !

Ouch nobody but yourself can make that call ? all i can say is they are tough trucks and if it looks good underneath and drives well its unlikely to prove a catastrophic mistake ..... still its a lot of money to gamble with . Rear diff locks are often seized through lack of use and can be expensive to repair . I bought mine without even looking at the service history and booked it straight in to Toyota for a full service , new timing belt the works , and their 160 point check given it was my first car so i didn't know what to look for and i didn't trust myself to pick up on a fault while looking through rose tinted goggles . Cost me £1200 but that's main dealer robbery for you , i think the only real fault they found was a broken drop link and what are they about 7 quid and 7 minutes work to change for which they charged me about 50 quid !

Ouch! Yip there is a few thing me and my brother can do on it before it gets a local garage treatment, just need to decide if its worth a punt or try to raiser the funds up to 4.5K and look for a Y reg plus D4D model (i think that engine is meant to be better)

Dont quote me on that, but could end up with another thread.

Just need to decide

If it doesn't have any SH as such and the seller wants top-end money, then I would walk away personally. There are loads of Collies to choose from out there and if you be patient and persevere, I'm sure a better truck will be available.

IMO the thing with Collies (and Toyotas in general) is that from new, they will run and run with little or no maintenance. However now that they are getting on and remember that the youngest Collie is now over 12 years old, any neglect in the early years will start to show and make a used purchase a potential money-pit for a new owner.

Add : If you're looking at an auto, please check threads here about the gearbox oil cooler (in the bottom of the main radiator) leaking and cross contaminating the coolant and gearbox oil. If this goes unnoticed for a period of time, will result in the gearbox needing an overhaul (around £2k). Even the youngest Collie is now getting to an age where this is a serious possibility. So check that and budget for a new rad even if all "looks" OK.

Last edited:
Thanks Chad

I dont mind on the manual or the auto - just what comes my way, but this one, I am walking away as thats crazy, why have the car and hardly service it!

Just back to the drawing board on them and see what comes, will also put a wee want ad in the class and see if anything is going.

Is anything up to 150K with FSH OK private?

Was wishful thinking there might be a low miler out there!

While searching be aware that the finish is very good on these trucks and even the oldest most abused example will shine up like a new penny with a bit of elbow grease so don't wear your Sunday best while viewing , how clean it really is can usually be seen from underneath .

Is anything up to 150K with FSH OK private?

Given the age of these trucks now, IMHO service history and condition are the main factors, I would consider a low(er) mileage as a "nice to have". Even with average annual miles, the youngest Collie would be nearing 150k now.........

If it was a choice between 2 trucks in the same outward condition, one a less than average mileage truck with patchy history and the second, a higher than average mileage truck with a full service history, documents and receipts etc. the latter would win every time for me.

Cheers guys, time to up the search to over 100K with SH/FSH, and get the manuals back on the list.

I have been driving manual Honda and Toyotas for the last 10years without any probs apart from wear and tear servicing,

best cars evers - time to join the LC league (nearly did a few years ago, just saved up a few more $$£, this time).

Worth checking the rear axle upper link bar mounting brackets, the drain holes get blocked up and these rust through from the inside.

Fairly simple repair for anyone handy with a welder but if it looks scabby before purchase it could be a bargaining point for a couple of hundred off the asking price.

Cheers Mark

I am making notes of everything on here, with the kids hols coming up next week, planned a few trips to see a couple too!

Now that I have widened the search, a few more are poping up!

A 2000 auto will probably be the facelift pre D4D model. I have a 1999 FX and It's a pretty good truck which I bought 8 years ago at 68K miles for £5K, I have no idea what It's worth now. The only things I've replaced are the rear discs and pads although due to lack of use there are one or two issues with the brakes which could entail new callipers at the front and a rear strip down plus after reading stories on here I've changed the rad. Other than that I've had no problems apart from the alarm flattening the battery at an alarming (no pun intended) rate partially due to me not starting it as often as I should.
One other thing is to try and check how quickly they start from cold as some do seem to have problems caused by leaky fuel pipes near the tank.

cheers Tim,

More info for my black book, just taking all the points I can at the moment.

I have widen my search to 51 plates and found a little more cars to play with, thats up to 141k on the clock with FSHs, all of them look solid, but would really need to get closer to them and check underneath.

I already notice some of them have had price drops recently from my watch lists - I Easter is going to kill the winter premiums.

Back