Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land cruiser for sale (overland ready)

Dave Docwra

We have just completed our trip to Cape Town, see our website for details link in signature line, we are now ready to sell our vehicle to someone wanting to explore Africa or overland back to the UK or to anywhere they want to go from South Africa, we are staying in Cape Town for the next six months so there is time to arrange a new carnet & change of ownership, anyone wanting to purchase the vehicle could possibly arrange a viewing with a local member from the South African Cruiser Club you may wish to contact, or I can take the vehicle to a local garage of your choice for inspection.

On collection we can put you up for a week or two any time except for the month of February when we have a full house.

I am looking for £11,500 including all the equipment & spares, most of the roof tent, engel fridge & winch (unused) were new for this trip I may be able to ask one of our leaders from this forum to vouch for the amount of time, money & effort I spent preparing this vehicle for our trip.

Anyone wanting a full spec please pm me, some of the spec is on our website.

Regards Dave.

{Moved by admin}

Dave I have read and enjoyed your website - the sandstorm must have been something else. In terms of truck behaviour, what broke on the trip and what performed worse than you expected? What parts did you wish you had with you as you made the trip and what did you take that you could in hindsight done without? Did you take oil for the whole trip or buy on route? What was the ball-park budget you spent per day?
Simon

Hi Simon,

Really pleased to hear you enjoyed our website, it was certainly an adventure for us, including the sand storm which was really frightening at the time, but is now just one of our interesting memories.

The only thing that broke & caused us a problem was the o/s/f wheel stud failure, apart from that the vehicle was pretty good, there was times when we could have done with a manual gearbox but on the whole the auto box was a pleasure to drive especially on the poorer road services.

Some items not required for a straight East African overland trip are, winch but the winch bumper could be useful as there are so many stray dogs, goats & donkeys to be wary of, expensive & over specced suspension not required, expensive suspension bushes not needed, masses of water storage not needed, long range tank useful but not essential, basic spare parts only there are Toyota spares widely available from new to used, second spare wheel not needed, so many places for puncture repairs, Paper maps far superior to Sat Nav and only one Hi-Lift jack just in case.

Must haves, Land Rover workshop manual, Land Rover Tow Rope, Extensive Land Rover spare Parts, two way radio to find out how far back we have to go to reach the Land Rover in distress, plenty copies of passports & passport size photos, a sense of humour & a "Do I look bothered expression" when customs are giving you a hard time.

Fuel, Visas & ferries were approx £4500.

We took our own oil, the Toyota dealer in Tanzania used our oil after a little persuasion.

I would suggest take as little as possible to keep the weight down, anything you find you really do need can be picked up on route, we paid the price of too much equipment/weight giving us an average fuel return of 17mpg.

Always remember TIA.

Dave.

Dave Docwra said:
We have just completed our trip to Cape Town, see our website for details link in signature line....
The link seems to have vanished..... what is your website address Dave?

Here's the link Paul http://www.londontocapetown.me.uk/index.html

Dave, great feedback and thanks again. When you say masses of water storage not needed, is this because of the ready availability of water and a decent filter? I thought you were missing something when i saw the land rover comments until I twigged ;)

If you are selling, will you buy another truck for the Americas leg?

£4500 - that was for just over three months. Interesting.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I moved the thread because it is slightly more than the ad now. All threads in commercial, classifieds, ebay addicts etc all vanish after 30 days (or 90, memory fails me).

Not sure I agree with all thats been said, so but not all!

I would certainly take either a seconf spare or a spare and a second tyre - gives peace of mind if you suffered a puncture and it is still awaiting repair. Several placeas come to mind: Turkana, Kenya & Northern Namibia are just two areas that I would not risk without the second spare.

Wheres the link gone??

Chris

SimonD said:
£4500 - that was for just over three months. Interesting.

The cost for visas and ferries is the same whether you go for 3 months, 6 months or 12 months. Fuel costs will also be similar as most people who travel for a longer period of time will travel much more slowly, staying places for longer. I took 19 months to travel Cape Town to UK, or 6 times longer than Dave, but I'm pretty sure I didn't do 6 times the mileage. Unless you're using luxury accommodation fuel is probably the biggest cost on a trip like this so it's better to work on a cost per mile rather than per day.

Chris Coombs said:
I would certainly take either a seconf spare or a spare and a second tyre - gives peace of mind if you suffered a puncture and it is still awaiting repair. Several placeas come to mind: Turkana, Kenya & Northern Namibia are just two areas that I would not risk without the second spare.

Agreed. I took a 2nd spare and didn't need it, but I wouldn't go through northern Kenya without. I also had capacity for 80 litres of water and always had plenty in reserve without really needing it, but it would have been very handy if we'd broken down in Turkana (away from the lake obviously).

Simon, the £4500 was for fuel, visas & ferries only, camping, tourist attractions and hotel treats vary in costs, I would guess a further budget of around £5000 for these expenses would be needed.

A further cost of £3500 would be required to ship back the vehicle in a container from Cape Town.

Water is plentiful, we never run short of water and we only ever carried a 20 litre container with a filter fitted, at no point did we use our collapsable back up containers, we always made sure that our container was full before entering long open stretches of road, most areas we travelled through were populated so water could be sourced fairly easily.

We have not decided yet, wether to purchase a camper van in the Uk for North America or purchase one on arrival,

Hi Chris, If I was to do the same trip I would not carry two spares, with the right size tyre choice you would have no problem replacing a tyre in East Africa following the normal route that we did, Kenya & Namibia had perfect sealed roads,I know you could argue that it could happen, but then again I & most people would be happy to drive from say London to Inverness with only one spare wheel, even the Moyale Road section had places along the route for tyre replacement & repairs, I only say to carry one spare as I believe weight is the biggest issue for an overland trip & the 80 series is a brilliantly well built truck but weighs in quite heavy before you even start loading the vehicle with all the extra equipment & a second spare must weigh in at about 35kgs.

We never travelled via Turkana so can not really comment on wether a second spare is needed for this route.

Dave.

Dave Docwra said:
..............a second spare must weigh in at about 35kgs
sae70 said:
Found this site that gives the weights of all the tyres you can think of, but alas not Insa Turbos :D

http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

So a 265/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler H/T D689 a very standard fitment to a road going Collie weighs in at 16.78Kgs with an alloy at 12.5Kgs that's an approximate standard total wheel and tyre weight of around 30Kgs with the valve, air and balance weights :D :thumbup:

A BFG KM2 255/85/16, as I now have fitted comes in at 24.95Kgs with alloy that's around 38Kgs with the valve, air and balance weights, plus 8Kgs over standard :)

Here's a few that I've extrapilated, interesting when you start to look at them :)

BFG A/T 265/70/16 22.23Kgs - 265/75/16 24.49Kgs - 285/75/16 26.76Kgs

GGAT2 265/70/16 19.96Kgs - 265/75/16 25.85Kgs - 285/75/16 27.67Kgs

BFG KM2 265/75/16 24.04Kgs - 285/75/16 26.76Kgs - 255/85/16 24.95Kgs
:) :) :) :thumbup:

hi dave

what tyre size did you use for your journey and what would you say the most comon size of tyres did you come across

that would be suitable for the 80?

I used 285/75/16, plenty of xxx/75/16 tyres available on route, if you get desperate it would not be difficult to source a tyre from a wrecked vehicle :)

Dave Docwra said:
Hi Chris, If I was to do the same trip I would not carry two spares, with the right size tyre choice you would have no problem replacing a tyre in East Africa following the normal route that we did, Kenya & Namibia had perfect sealed roads,I know you could argue that it could happen, but then again I & most people would be happy to drive from say London to Inverness with only one spare wheel, even the Moyale Road section had places along the route for tyre replacement & repairs, I only say to carry one spare as I believe weight is the biggest issue for an overland trip & the 80 series is a brilliantly well built truck but weighs in quite heavy before you even start loading the vehicle with all the extra equipment & a second spare must weigh in at about 35kgs.

We never travelled via Turkana so can not really comment on wether a second spare is needed for this route.

Dave.

Agree most areas where you travel metal roads, no problems getting tyres repaired, but Northern Namibia I def take a second and Turkana is an eater of tyres! Its very rocky and the rock is very sharp - flinty!

It happened to us on several occasions and avoids the need to go looking for immediate repairs once you've had a puncture. I'd rether the weight, but each to their own.

Chris

Back