Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Land Cruiser - Press / publicity photographs for sale - with copyright

skylineboy

Country Flag
uk
hi all,

im new here and to the world of the LCruiser.

i registered because i wanted to find out more on the different models of LC, as i have just acquired a large amount of press / publicity style photographic slides / negatives etc, and am researching which models they contain, and also to advertise them for sale.

these seem cover (from my limited knowledge on LC) 1980s / 1990s models, in a variety of scenery and scenario's, having been used by a journolist who is since retired, who signed over all the relevant copyrights etc to myself, and would be again available for any potential buyer.

would these be of interest to a LC enthusiast? perhaps for publication in a club magazine etc.

many thanks, and ill be looking around the site for more information on LC's

Dan

Interesting, welcome Dan!

Somebody will guide you to a full listing, model by year, I'm sure. But to my knowledge those listings don't have photos, so you won't be any better off!

You'd need to sit with an expert who would ID them from your pictures.

The earlier models are easier to ID IMO. Whereabouts are you? You can fill in location on your profile to let folks know.

Let's see where this thread goes.... :think:

hi, thanks for the reply,

its been a case of googling and trying to spot ones that look like what i have,

im usually pretty ok on spotting what car is which etc, but with LC im a newbie!

im in the NE of UK.

I won't hold you coming from the NE too much against you! I'm originally from Birmingham and most ask me what I did wrong to deserve that! :lol:

Your best bet, if you don't get much response from other postings, is to go through this forum, model by model. Inside the threads will be the occasional photo of someone's car in that model category.

Take the 70 series for an example, you won't fail to find Ben's LJ 70 Build thread, where from the beginning, you'll see his 70 series truck before he made any modifications to it.

You'll probably ID all the main models that way. The problem will come if you want to refine this further, as there were variants within the models, over time and other technical variants, long wheel base (LWB) and short wheel base (SWB) for example. Actually, the full listing would be close to endless!

See how you get on. The 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90 series are easy for me to distinguish, but I have problems with the 100, 105, 120 and 200 (and the dozens that I've missed!).

Then I have problems knowing what a 75 is against the 70 and I see members speak of an 81? No idea, but I'm new to Land Cruisers too, only 7 years an owner.

Also take care, photos can be misleading because members have modified their trucks. With lifted bodies and/or suspension, bull bars and winch bumpers they tend to look different, which could throw you off-line a bit.

How do you intend advertising the pictures you have to sell, assuming you have ID'd them properly? :think:

Good luck.

Last edited:
i think the best bet for me would be to scan them in just enough, so i can zoom and see some details, and then look through the forum etc.

i had planned on keeping a photo library, for use to anyone that may need images for publication / research etc, and to make some a little side-line with them, but to be honest, some of the models i have acquired came to be in a take all deal, when i was only interested in certain aspects / models. so i would be looking to pass them on, at a rough estimate there are approx 100-200 on the LC, some of which i'm guessing may cross over to other enthusiats (eg of "emergency service" vehicles in general). but aside from the LC stuff, i have thousands on vauxhall, MG, toyota, Ford, Land rover / range rover, peugeot, lancia and fiat. so its not just LC im learning as i go along!

i also think maybe finding a standard model to go on would be difficult, the ones i have would almost 100% be standard, as they come from a reporter errm reporting on the model at the time of them being new etc, and as you say, many now, will be customised. but on the other side, who knows, the images i hold may help someone to "get the standard look" - i dont know if this is what LC owners do, but i have been to many Ford events where concours is very big, and people strive for the "factory fresh" look.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You'll find all sorts on here, the purists who like to maintain the original look and die hard modifiers and everything in between, you'll see as you go. I don't envy you the task TBH :lol:

Last edited:
the first few i've just done seem to be the J70 and J90 series, the 70 clearly has intercooler turbo 3.0 decal on the rear quarter, i think im getting somewhere lol!

Sorry to put a downer in this, but AFAIK the 70 didn't have an inter cooler, but again there may have been one type that did. Also remember that each vehicle would have been built to a number of specific market specifications as well as the divide between petrol and diesel versions.

For example my 80 is a GX European market and it has double side hinged doors at the back. A GX in the UK will have a split lift and drop tailgate at the back, and it would be hard to find any in the UK with my type of rear doors, whereas in Australia the side hinged doors are quite common.

I've either put put my foot in it or I'm right, but I'd hate to lead you in the wrong direction with misinformation.

Do you know if the photos you have are UK market vehicles?

I know an 80 when I see one though!

Maybe it's time for me to zip it, just in case I say something ballcocks. :oops::whistle:

Last edited:
I've a better idea - you upload the photos we'll put the names on them

ill prep some low res samples for you guys to look at.

ill be needing to put together a "catalogue of items for sale" anyway.

This could turn into a great shout!

Inter forum member disputes, it's a 71, no it's not! look at the windows, mines got windows like that and it's not an import... and so on!

Well, we'll see how it goes! :icon-biggrin: we all love photos!

Last edited:
currently working on scanning these, then ill post them up and hopefully will know what i have, if you guys can ID them!

you may find the book The Landcruiser Legend by Alexander Wohfarth useful

Link To images of these discussed above

hi all, took me a while i know, but here are the images i had mentioned for sale and needed a bit of help ID'ing them,

low res samples (for obvious reasons), but as i said, i have the original negatives / slides etc up for sale if there is any iterest, with full copyright to use however you wish. (for example, i sold an image a few months ago, that is now to be included in a book!)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5klAsoHIusfQkw4cTdkRkZDYUE&usp=sharing

thanks

dan

Some nice vehicles in there.

Mix of countries as well.

The 90 series with the tracks is unusual.

Pete

I'll get it started, with the ones I recognise:

img586, 588, 590-2: Toyota Land Cruiser J74. I've left it as a J74 because I can't tell what engine is in it, beyond it being a post 1990. Could be a KZJ74 or similar, as it has the facelifted "light" Land Cruiser front, so probably coil sprung all round.

img617, 620, 637, 640 Toyota Land Cruiser LJ70 (small diesel badge, "light" front end), early one (about 1986 I suspect)

img639 J73, as with the J74 I can't tell exactly what engine and it has the "light" front, but I suspect a diesel, but not a BJ or HJ73

img641: Mitsushitty Shogun/Pajero/Montery... Don't worry an American accused me of talking about one when I post a pic of an RJ70 Land Cruiser!

img642 and 074: BJ, HJ or FJ70, full weight version, different front end to the "light" versions and leaf sprung

Hope that helps, and good luck with the rest!

Some nice vehicles in there.

Mix of countries as well.

The 90 series with the tracks is unusual.

Pete

I like those tracks! There's plenty of U-lube clips of tracks fitted to loads of different cars and trucks, including 90s and 80s :lol:

thanks guys!

much help. and gives me something to go on, as i said, now i have more of an understanding to "market" them up for grabs a bit better.
and a big thanks for welcoming a newbie with a bit of an odd questions etc. i have asked similar questions on other forums (having 25k+ photos, and needed help with some marques im not familar with), and they have been very abrupt and very "clicky". so kudos for being welcoming.

yes the ones with the tracks caught my eye too, i have done a little looking and asking about and apparently it was for japanese military use.

Back