Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LC90 VX - 97 colorado 3.4 v6 full servicing & timing belt costs and their part prices

godzilla

Country Flag
scotland
Hi Guys

I have 2 thread on the go about a 90 petrol 1997 auto.

Its come down to full servicing and timing belt (buying).

What is the rough costs I can I expect?

Apart from the timing belt, what else do i need for the service? (and) Can I buy them (parts, fluids) cheaper for the garage and they can fit/fix them for a labour charge?

Which way is best for the best price?

I think a garage price for a timing belt will be expensive

any advice on best routes to take and best places to get one.

Its done 94k so what service is due and whats needed for 94K?

Thanks in advance

Don't let this scare you , i was at work and incredibly busy , my clutch died and i needed my truck like yesterday . I'm sure with the help of the guys on here i could have done all of the work myself at a fraction of the price if i had time available . Even if your not mechanically minded you will be pointed in the right direction to bring costs down considerably . Also bear in mind the new clutch was 6 or 7 hundred all on its own .

toyotabill003_zps43f9f1a4.jpg
toyotabill004_zps1c521049.jpg
toyotabill005_zps1c4df701.jpg

This is for a 1996 KZJ90 thats the short wheel base Colorado 3.0 Turbo Diesel .

Last edited:
On a side note while my truck was off the road i borrowed a Mitsubushi Challenger and ironically it felt tiny , the auto box was breathless and the engine i felt was half the size it needed to be . Driving it increased my estimation of my own truck tenfold because after just 3 days in the Mitsubushi mine felt like a supercharged monster truck :icon-biggrin:
800px-Mitsubishi_Challenger_103.JPG

Jeez......

Theres some top pricing going on there - theyve charged you £150.00 labour for swapping the arb drop links? Thats a 20 minute job!! Im the bottom of the tree as far as mechanicery is concerned, and I did it easily.

Godzila - take a look at Shaynes list, then go to Milners or Roughtrax, and just do a comparison list.

There is a Toyota dealer who does discounts for members on here, so if you want pukka kit then you can buy cheaper than main dealer, but obviously more expensive than pattern.

As yours is a manual, there is nothing on the LC that is more complicated than any other car, with the addition of an oil change on the front and rear diffs, so dont be put off about having a go yourself.

Even discs and pads are straightforward, there is a knack to removing the rear discs so check here first.

Cheers

Pete

Yeah i know thats what you get for towing it in and saying "fix everything while you have the clutch out" . You could replace the drop links on a motorway hardshoulder without attracting police attention but with a boat worth more than a 100 times that bill in danger i didn't have time to haggle !

Thanks guys
top advice as usual, I am going to send a txt tomorrow to see if the guy has made a decision. It will give me up to the weekend to get some stuff together if the offer is accepted.

I am planning to do a number of changes a bit a time starting with all the fluids and then work my way around the truck.

I am going to check with my local garage about the belt as to when it should be chanaged.

I cant find a manual anywhere which will give me the service breakdowns - mind you will have a look on here

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
any manuals or guides for the 90 on here?

nothing on the manual link

Remember that bill results from a full new new clutch assembly and the timing belt was replaced on request rather than coz it needed to be . Prior to this my truck has done 42000 miles without a service and drove like new anyway .

And they have the nerve you charge you a penny for the screen wash.

When I was knee high to a grasshopper my dad started me on the road to self awareness. He taught me how to mix mortar and lay bricks, to sharpen a chisel and wield a saw and a hammer and to cope with a woman.

Oh, and how to service, repair and generally look after mechanical objects.

Thanks dad.

Roger

Here's a thought.

It may be impractical but what the hell.

If Tony can supply the space, what if those of us in the know give hands on demonstrations of how to do this that and the other next time at Lincomb?

Roger

Yep, you can sign me up ........always fancied myself as a miracle worker!:lol:

Now don't jest.

A female friend of mine (she was voted by the guys at BBC Pebble Mill as the girl all the guys wanted to screw) told me that we should keep the fair sex "barefoot and pregnant".

I have battened down the hatches and await the storm.

Roger

LC90 VX - 97 colorado 3.4 v6 full servicing & timing belt costs and their part

Coping with wimin will be a popular one!!! :lol:

I've heard tell they're like floor tiles. Lay them properly the first time and you can walk all over them for the rest of your life.

:lol:

Clearly I've not done that, but I'm still breathing and walking :lol:

Now don't jest.

A female friend of mine (she was voted by the guys at BBC Pebble Mill as the girl all the guys wanted to screw) told me that we should keep the fair sex "barefoot and pregnant".

Roger

It seems to work my Grandparents had 15 surviving kids . The eldest were having kids of thier own before my youngest uncle was born , he is 2 years older than me . 50 odd years they were married and every single word between them was an argument , she would grumble and he would laugh . He is maybe 3 years passed away now and she misses him like crazy .

I was taught nothing if it didn't work i either worked out how to fix it or did without and as a result i have never needed to call anybody for anything , i could build a house without help and no doubt build a vehicle if i put my mind to it . Living in Wales i've had men take the micky coz i can wash , cook and clean for myself , to which i reply "boys need a woman to take care of them - i'm a man"

Luckily lifes moved on now i can choose what takes priority over my time , while my truck was in for a service i managed to recover 8 grands worth of fishing gear that had been written off as lost by my FORMER crew months earlier .

Time and tide wait for no man .

Last edited:
great stories guys, i bet loads of the trucks have some great stories to tell too.

will know by tomorrow if my offer being accepted.

is the auction site a good site to buy parts or recommended dealer a better deal?

Back