Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Leak from upper tailgate... I think...

mussy

Hi everybody,

have a bit of an emergency and not much time.

Will try to make a long story short.

in May I purchased a second 80 so that we did not have to keep shuttling the first one between Hungary and the Alps...

New 80 are has been in for major renovation which I did in Hungary at Sandlander ) and as usual these things take longer than planned. Car is ready to be packed to send back to the Alps and this morning I notice that there is ALOT of water in the back trunk area. It seems to come from the upper tailgate but I cannot see what is leaking.

Any ideas?

I write this from the airport and the wife will have to sort this out tomorrow with a local mechanic. Yike. :doh:

Probably the glass. I bonded mine in and it cured it. Could also be the rubber seal the tailgate closes against but unlikely unless it's the wrong seal.

It doesn't seem to be the glass, more like the water running from the roof and it is going throughout the bolts that hold the hinge or the rubber seal is not doing it's job.

Does this make sense, I have searched high and low for similar issues but no luck.

Help!

When my tailgate is open in the rain, it pours into the boot area as water pools in the glass 'pond' above my head at the hinge end. If the tailgate is down in the rain, when I next open it, it pours in and drips all over the place from bottom edge of the glass instead.

Back