Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Leaking windscreen.

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Some months ago I cracked the windscreen on the '98 petrol 80. I was very reluctant to change the windscreen, because I just knew the new one would be a leak problem. Unfortunately the crack began to creep and grew too large to ignore. Would have failed next MOT for sure.

So very reluctantly, I got a new windscreen and new rubber. Got a windscreen chap to fit it, and watched the job, including the rebounding to the bodywork.

Job looked good and I was pretty happy with the fit, finish and service. The fitter is qualified and used by Aston/Ferrari/Bently/Porsche etc etc and has a good reputation for thorough work, particularly with tricky screens on some of these exotic cars, so I don't think it's his poor workmanship.

Well surprise, surprise, coming back in the driving rain, what did I find...
upload_2019-12-31_15-32-47.png

The bloody thing is leaking bottom left corner.

I've got the installer coming back to have a look see., but does anyone have any useful suggestions for a fix?
Does the screen need to come out again?
Is there a special trick to sealing these?

TIA

No sh*t. What did I tell you.
Some of these screens are actually thinner glass. Did you you use a new screen seal?

Mine stayed dry for a bit but then leaked and I ended up sealing it all the way round with butyl sealant stuff

Lazz, get him to take it out and run non setting butyl sealant round the entire inner (glass) groove. It will need drying and probably cleaning first. This is where the leak will happen as the outer rubber is higher than the inner. If you do as above, you won’t get any leaks. Reseal to the body just where the metal rolls round into the window aperture. Top and sides only in one continuous bead. Unless the rubber is visibly damaged you won’t need a new one with the above method. New rubbers don’t always cure the leaks.

Don’t be tempted to try sealing with the screen in place. It’s unlikely to seal for any great length of time.

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/posts/1471762/

Last edited:
But it did Rich. Even with the hosepipe test. I had VERY long conversations with the glass people given that they turned up three times to do this job. I had new seals, old seals, all the advice on here and I tried it dry. It didn't leak for some time and then I got a dribble. I have some rust at the top of my screen and it's gone through into a hole. In the end, it needed some filler and the butyl at the top. Never leaked since. The major difficulty was the extended roof rack. It makes getting to the top screen join extremely difficult. In the end I had to fashion a custom gunge nozzle.

I had the same issue fairly recently, but both corners had sprung a leak (left side had a mini mossy ecosystem growing in the corner plus some delamination and the right side was a cascading waterfall into the electrics below). Finally decided to use my windscreen insurance and went down to the local Toyota dealer.
Handed over my reg number and they said 10 hours to deliver a new original screen with new rubber seal (and the green shade strip). Plus another 2.5 hours to fit. Think it came from Porto/Portugal.
What I did take note of was the fitter used some grey gunky Wurth branded paste from a large tub smearing liberally between the rubber and frame and not the glass/rubber. This stuff dont harden.
Not a single drop inside even after 150mm of rain in a couple of days recently, though I found a small puddle on the rear screen area - time to change seal. Total cost about Euro 250 plus a biro and a beach bag as freebies.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks guys.. will advise fitter

We had some rain the other day, and I also discovered a leak in the bottom corner of the windscreen in exactly the same area as Olazz. At some point we need a new windscreen as we have a decent chip in it, so I'll make sure we go to our good windscreen guy locally and get him to do it with some gunk in the rubber as well.

Well you need to get the screen out and rubber off to give both a good clean. The old rubber probo has old crud stuck to it which voids any sealing compound. I fitted my screen back in dry then went round the inner/outside and outer/outside with butyl rubber gun. Perfect. Even though I masked the glass off before injection it took me 2 hours to clean the screen properly. Prior to this I had original leaking screen then 2 more through breakages. All leaked. You don't need a Ferrari screen fitter but an LC 80 screen fitter. These new guys on the block may be OK with modern bonded screens but need training in the older designs.

Same thing here... tried sealing it all the way around between rubber/glass with sealant but impossible to keep it dry in the corner.

Can't remember what brand it was or what exactly i used it for but gutter seal has the consistency of margarine and doesn't dry , obviously its expected to endure very wet conditions .

Can't remember what brand it was or what exactly i used it for but gutter seal has the consistency of margarine and doesn't dry , obviously its expected to endure very wet conditions .
Bitumastic sort of thing? This is what I used before I found the butyl screen seal and it does a very good job but it’s not so nice to remove. Goes in much better if you put the tube in hot water before using it.

Yup i have a feeling it was evo-stik and what brought it to mind was how easy it would be to wipe away any excess , messy to use be easy to clean up , be like using ketchup i guess .

Back