Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

I was wondering if an A frame might not be what Ben could use to move LJ and the Astra, not sure what the regs are in aus though?
Clicky Here
I think this is what Pat was refering to.

Awesome thanks mate. :thumbup:

We will grab some bags from our local aquarium shop. :icon-biggrin:

I used to courier fish all over the uk. The main challenge was keeping them at the correct temp for the whole journey. In Aus that isn't really a problem. You will need to open the bags for fresh air every 24 hrs though. And also don't feed the fish for a couple of days before transport so that their water will stay fresh for longer.

Lots of folks make up triangular tow bars to tow their cars behind motor homes.Seem to work ok if you have a good chassis on the car.

I was wondering if an A frame might not be what Ben could use to move LJ and the Astra, not sure what the regs are in aus though?
Clicky Here
I think this is what Pat was refering to.

The tow frames that Pat refer to are quite common in Aus as well as over the ditch; however, they are permanently mounted on the car (frequently things like Suzuki Swifts as small cars, and Grand Vitaras as the bigger option) and splice into the brakes and lighting (rather than a trailer board) as the car otherwise would be classed as unbraked. Rules for tow frames are here from RMS, and an example of the a-frame is this. HOWEVER, it seems that the a-frame is specific to an individual car being towed (and the Astra is not on that list). Bear in mind that not all the rules from RMS (there will be some that come from national level, but most are state specific) would apply to Ben as he is not registered in NSW, whereas they would apply to me as I am...

All my family use a homemade car dolly something like this

011.jpg

All my family use a homemade car dolly something like this

011.jpg

I'll be careful with one those dollies Shayne... They're ok for light use and the occasional short trip, but I had a bad experience with one. Was towing a Volvo V70, went round a very tight corner at a car park and the frame snapped apart. The dollies I use now have a pivot and a shock that actually allows the vehicle being towed to move slightly on the dolly so it doesn't strain the frame. Just my experience on them anyway, 99% of the time, I'm sure they're fine. But for a long trip, sometimes the better quality ones are worth it!

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

Gives me a few more things to think about. :icon-biggrin:

Been offline for the past week as been at the farm working flat out on the tree house project! :dance:

Got hundreds of pics to sort through, but will try and get them up soon. :icon-wink:

Truck test tomorrow. :pray:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good luck with your truck test Ben. I expect you'll have no trouble passing.

Good luck for the test Ben I bet you'll walk it, or maybe drive it. :lol:

I bloody smashed it! :dance:

The test not the truck. :lol:

truck%20test%20passed%20440%20x%20600_zpsohpzy4zo.jpg

It wasnt easy!

Just getting the hang of all the gears and flicking up and down between the high and low range gears took some getting used to and making sure the truck didn't go over any lines I wasnt meant to! :think:

I'm so relieved its over and done! Now I can book the hire truck for just before Christmas and then finally get on with the 3500km journey. :thumbup:

Trailer Project.

:lol:

Thanks Steve. :thumbup:

OK...................update time. :dance:

My boss recently bought a heavy duty trailer at an auction.

The plan is he will use it to tow the Solar Suzuki to the desert next year and as it has much heavier duty construction, suspension and load capacity, he hopes it will actually survive the corrugations unlike the last one!

He also likes the fact that its the same width wheel base as his 80 and 79 series so will follow the path of the tow vehicle meaning he will hopefully avoid some of the huge rocks on the terrible dirt road from Mount Dare to Dalhousie. :icon-biggrin:

DSCN4619_zps5o8fymsy.jpg

DSCN4620_zps7mk7tqzi.jpg

I had a few jobs to do on it.

He wanted me to remount the jockey wheel to make it more user friendly.

DSCN4622_zps5964osi7.jpg

One of the hinges was broken on the front of the storage box and needed repairing.

DSCN4623_zpsv5wvzkjb.jpg

DSCN4624_zpsewz70geq.jpg

I also needed to repair a cut out section on the bed.

DSCN4621_zpsbgza5xsr.jpg

Jockey wheel first.

Cut it off.

DSCN4625_zpsnltmdmxe.jpg

Cut, bent, drilled and welded some 6mm steel to make a new spring loaded mechanism.

DSCN4626_zpsd0atwyie.jpg

DSCN4627_zpsi1vwi5hq.jpg

DSCN4628_zpscnsqrf5b.jpg

DSCN4629_zpsnnoc3dho.jpg

DSCN4632_zpshjdf9vgz.jpg

DSCN4633_zpstdgd3a4a.jpg

DSCN4634_zpsoggqjbps.jpg

DSCN4635_zpsant8lvw1.jpg

My next job was to mount a winch for winching dead cars onto the trailer with.

We chose a second hand Warn for the job.

DSCN4636_zpslplcolf8.jpg

DSCN4637_zpswv1xxb4q.jpg

The plan was to mount it under the bed so its completely concealed when not in use.

DSCN4638_zps2hmsbizz.jpg

DSCN4639_zpsbapn8xvk.jpg

Made up some mounts for it out of some thick walled angle.

DSCN4640_zpsdi06p7qg.jpg

Bolted them to the winch.

DSCN4641_zpshzepspbh.jpg

Marked where to cut the bed.

DSCN4642_zpskoxqtjou.jpg

DSCN4643_zpsnqoxrmtf.jpg

Cut it out and bolted the winch in position.

DSCN4644_zpsnkhw2eyp.jpg

I welded a piece of flat to one side of the piece I cut out and welded a bolt on the other side.

DSCN4645_zpsu3hnpbin.jpg

DSCN4646_zps6vpzmfs2.jpg

I welded a piece of flat to the bed for the cut out section to drop onto and drilled a hole in it for the bolt to go through.

I also welded in some receiver hitch box section to the winch mount for the fairlead.

DSCN4647_zpsvgeoaipr.jpg

Bolted some box section to a fairlead.

DSCN4648_zpsys3txd59.jpg

That drops into position on the bed.

DSCN4649_zpstaznj47k.jpg

And the end of the rope pushes through. That will then have a D shackle threaded through it to secure it to the dead vehicle.

DSCN4652_zpsfngtk9pt.jpg

DSCN4650_zpssfd3he3x.jpg

DSCN4651_zpssehxplxr.jpg

I repaired the hole in the bed.

DSCN4653_zpsyzr4vczo.jpg

That was as far as I got on the trailer project.

I need to build some ramps for it next and re-mount the spare wheel on the front.

After the desert trip my boss will get the whole thing shot blast and spray painted. No point doing it before as the other one came back with hardly any paint on the front after being towed behind the 80 for hundreds of k's on dirt roads.

I picked up the freshly powder coated cage for the Solar Suzuki.

DSCN4630_zpsqvtkwo2b.jpg

DSCN4631_zpsxihu8f95.jpg

And that was work when I got back from our holiday.

I did a bit of work at home.

Gave LJ an oil change ready for the big road trip up to our new home in Queensland.

DSCN4660_zps7ahb60p8.jpg

DSCN4661_zpsvr6wjepq.jpg

While Bec is busy getting rid of stuff on ebay and gumtree I've been acquiring more stuff to move! :oops:

I'd found my metal power tool cabinet.

DSCN4654_zpszoquoiqi.jpg

DSCN4655_zps0wu9oxz2.jpg

Simply wasnt big enough for all my power tools.

So I got another one off my work mate.

It came from an auction at an engineering place that was closing down, so was covered in a thick layer of grease and oil. An hour with a rag and some thinners though and it came good.

DSCN4656_zpsympu5urq.jpg

DSCN4658_zpshfjwjur9.jpg

The garage now looks like a bomb site though as I'm currently getting everything packed up into my super market crates ready for the move!

Fingers crossed I can squeeze it all in the biggest truck Budget hire, along with all the house hold stuff. :pray:

Tree house build update coming as soon as I've sorted through the 190 pics I took this week. :thumbup:

An Entrie Week Working On The Treehouse Project!

Last week was possibly the hardest working week I've ever done.

I'm pushing really hard to get the tree house completed before I leave Piranha, so last week I worked 6am to 8pm everyday and worked flat out to get as much done as possible. :sleeping-sleep:

When we first got to the farm on Monday morning we were checking the livestock.

DSCN4667_zpsidbbzz2b.jpg

When we discovered some of the sheep had escaped, so we lost the first hour trying to chase them back in, which I loved as I got to ride his 250cc dirt bike round. :icon-twisted:

Once that was done we could finally get back on with the tree house build.

So this was how we left it last time.

DSCN4670_zpsj5nmhq4u.jpg

With the half finished roof.

DSCN4671_zpshj8ccuz7.jpg

My first job was to finish cladding the roof.

DSCN4673_zpsrlpxxw9h.jpg

DSCN4674_zpsmkxq6rxm.jpg

DSCN4675_zpsty4fhuqr.jpg

We got the tower setup on the side.

DSCN4676_zpsovswsw5c.jpg

DSCN4677_zpsuspap1le.jpg

DSCN4679_zpstdose1j0.jpg

DSCN4681_zpszsbi4h65.jpg

DSCN4682_zpst93hhmng.jpg

Insulated the wall.

DSCN4683_zpslahnxejz.jpg

And start cladding.

DSCN4685_zpsgaiz5s0p.jpg

DSCN4687_zps1j68acff.jpg

DSCN4688_zpsxetphuyu.jpg

We fitted the window so we could clad around it.

DSCN4689_zpscoqulyp3.jpg

DSCN4690_zpsaqytq6td.jpg

The roof was by this point almost clad in tin sheets, but I had left the last couple of sheets off for access.

DSCN4691_zps1q6d8tsd.jpg

DSCN4692_zpsaqowctnv.jpg

And that was the first day done.

DSCN4694_zpsd9214utc.jpg

The next day nice and early I climbed up onto the roof for the first really dangerous part. Shimming along the ridge on my bum with a leg each side to install the capping pieces. A fall from this height really wouldn't have ended well, so I had to be bloody careful.

DSCN4695_zpsqpigbe7t.jpg

DSCN4696_zpsbdv66pyl.jpg

DSCN4698_zpst4qbmtcx.jpg

DSCN4699_zpsog2qd6sv.jpg

The next job was to finish cladding the bell tower.

DSCN4700_zps3w3z0zcv.jpg

DSCN4701_zpshqaonch2.jpg

DSCN4702_zpsxymo8dlb.jpg

DSCN4703_zps9iqhacvh.jpg

Alan cut me some tin sheets.

DSCN4704_zpsq5aro9hy.jpg

I pulled them up with a rope and got them screwed on.

And finished cladding this first side.

DSCN4705_zpszshz01ih.jpg

DSCN4707_zps2ublh36k.jpg

My work colleague Michael came up to help us for a couple of days and we cracked on with the next side.

Insulation first.

DSCN4708_zps1obxigmj.jpg

Next window went in.

DSCN4710_zpsw8okod36.jpg

A pic of the completed roof.

DSCN4711_zpsblwjrjov.jpg

DSCN4712_zpsfjlmyiie.jpg

DSCN4713_zps0h0ij77z.jpg

DSCN4714_zpszd1puiar.jpg

DSCN4715_zpsmhslu7di.jpg

DSCN4717_zpswdlbvbtr.jpg

DSCN4718_zpsyqjijan3.jpg

DSCN4719_zpsgyfnkiyb.jpg

The next morning.

DSCN4722_zps7odlw4bz.jpg

DSCN4723_zpsn5mamixn.jpg

DSCN4724_zps9xtvvt7a.jpg

DSCN4725_zpsu4vzlx31.jpg

We cut off the excess.

DSCN4726_zps59z1ksqq.jpg

DSCN4728_zpsgfmllnj6.jpg

DSCN4730_zps3wuhehte.jpg

DSCN4733_zpsegueblkl.jpg

DSCN4735_zpsdqw5vwhn.jpg

DSCN4737_zps3pdzcskx.jpg

DSCN4738_zpslfwqmvhc.jpg

DSCN4739_zpsqialtunn.jpg

Next window went in.

*I should point out here that I should in hindsight have put this window much higher up the wall, but more on that later.

DSCN4740_zpsbf6v8ejx.jpg

DSCN4741_zpspldu7mho.jpg

Insulation went in next.

DSCN4742_zpsuja4qyjz.jpg

DSCN4744_zps3d9fr85f.jpg

DSCN4745_zpsmtkk17bu.jpg

DSCN4746_zpswk0r5tqj.jpg

This was the next really dangerous bit!

The only way to get up to clad this side was up a very steep ladder resting right to the edge of the platform.

DSCN4747_zps6vndvsrp.jpg

DSCN4748_zps3ieylhv9.jpg

DSCN4749_zpsup8fpkho.jpg

Michael cut the boards to length and I fixed them in position.

DSCN4750_zpsuichin9f.jpg

DSCN4751_zpsm8tc6xow.jpg

The other side looked awesome now it was lit nicely in the sun!

DSCN4754_zpssberyxkn.jpg

DSCN4752_zpsfizvwtkp.jpg

DSCN4755_zpsbfkkhxqg.jpg

DSCN4757_zpserupyleu.jpg

DSCN4758_zpslvpbehmv.jpg

Alan chainsawed a seat and drinks ledge into the stump.

DSCN4759_zpsx8t7t8o9.jpg

DSCN4760_zpsvhzoexfb.jpg

DSCN4761_zps2oblpv3h.jpg

DSCN4762_zpsfy1eqxuj.jpg

Meanwhile Michael and I finished the other side.

DSCN4765_zps5ziqdopl.jpg

DSCN4766_zpsyextr2vv.jpg

Front next.

Insulation and windows fitted.

DSCN4767_zpsihkcdero.jpg

DSCN4768_zpsyggwq0bd.jpg

DSCN4769_zpsb5jbtgci.jpg

DSCN4770_zpscyaag8hi.jpg

DSCN4776_zpsky0rv5ck.jpg

DSCN4777_zps1gtwewd6.jpg

The next morning we finished off cladding the front.

DSCN4780_zpsx0eu8p5c.jpg

DSCN4781_zpsyenhjjr9.jpg

DSCN4783_zps9pdntebh.jpg

DSCN4788_zpsdi34kmcc.jpg

DSCN4789_zpsrn7udp6o.jpg

This side was time consuming cutting around all the windows and door.

DSCN4790_zpsk8dwesfl.jpg

DSCN4791_zpsjdmeclpy.jpg

And lots more cuts around the roof trusses.

DSCN4792_zpsyw4jmtde.jpg

Front done!!

DSCN4793_zpshmlvtwy1.jpg

Timber for the veranda next.

DSCN4786_zpsesjmk2ls.jpg

DSCN4787_zpskhz8divd.jpg

DSCN4794_zpszjsedx5i.jpg

DSCN4796_zpsmmjvqadi.jpg

DSCN4797_zpsfbmrbdvz.jpg

DSCN4798_zpsstyzft52.jpg

DSCN4799_zpsnpjaqjsx.jpg

Did some more notching on the pine posts.

DSCN4800_zpshay5kkam.jpg

DSCN4801_zps2fgse8be.jpg

Started fitting them.

DSCN4802_zpsywpwrmpf.jpg

DSCN4803_zpstpg60vcm.jpg

DSCN4804_zpsv6ikkicw.jpg

DSCN4805_zpspx4ueuvl.jpg

DSCN4808_zpsidqmuypp.jpg

DSCN4809_zpsxj66r6gh.jpg

DSCN4811_zpswvizobga.jpg

Roof rafters next.

DSCN4813_zpsqtxp89lt.jpg

DSCN4814_zpsgkjrjbnx.jpg

DSCN4818_zpszmqnnnm8.jpg

DSCN4819_zpszm6dxmxn.jpg

DSCN4820_zps9vipvb5a.jpg

DSCN4821_zpstjxgzlay.jpg

DSCN4822_zpsuxeqgupm.jpg

Fitting the veranda roof revealed a huge cock up that I had made. :oops:

The window on the gable end is far too low to allow the veranda roof to run all the way round at the same height we wanted the front to be at. :doh:

I'm really pissed that I didn't pick up on it sooner, as moving the window up before we did the cladding would have been easy. Missing this mistake on paper when I drew the plans up is OK, things like this often get overlooked, even by experienced architects, we used to come across problems like it all the time when I was building. But I should have picked up on it sooner. :thumbdown:

My boss was cool about it though and isnt stressed at all!

So the roof would need dropping slightly on the side.

DSCN4823_zpsrfoumnck.jpg

DSCN4824_zps9d7tjzqw.jpg

DSCN4825_zpsegshc2h9.jpg

DSCN4826_zps2aysrt1t.jpg

DSCN4827_zpsdquzziru.jpg

DSCN4828_zpshrcdbkoy.jpg

DSCN4829_zpseit3twj8.jpg

DSCN4830_zpsrf2swngy.jpg

DSCN4832_zpshklrofha.jpg

Tin sheets next.

DSCN4833_zps23fpl8mc.jpg

DSCN4834_zps42iximyy.jpg

I screwed all the sheets down and then got up on top of the roof and cut them to length with a 7" angle grinder cutting disc in a circular saw. Worked great!

DSCN4836_zps0uy9ypok.jpg

DSCN4837_zpsxgbzyd0a.jpg

DSCN4838_zpsm1juet7h.jpg

DSCN4842_zps4a09ifez.jpg

DSCN4843_zpsfu8ghelk.jpg

DSCN4845_zpsg0xvsgy8.jpg

DSCN4846_zps5ahbr7jw.jpg

Cut the rafters for the other side and beveled the bottom edges with the plane like I did on the main house roof.

DSCN4847_zps4lvxx1ga.jpg

DSCN4848_zpsdubla2xt.jpg

The roof will have a slight step in it after the hip. Thankfully its on the least seen side and wont interfere with how the front looks.

DSCN4849_zpswwulmcdk.jpg

DSCN4850_zpsjcwxegjc.jpg

This is where the firemans pole will be and the roof will have another little hip and roof section above the pole.

DSCN4851_zps1ltxe0u9.jpg

DSCN4852_zpsnjakij3i.jpg

DSCN4853_zpsbijugjtq.jpg

And that was as far as I got.

We need to go back and:

-Finish the veranda roof.
-Fit the firemans pole.
-Fit all the handrails around the deck/veranda.
-Build and fit the staircase up to the tree house.
-Finish off fitting out the inside with the OZ Pig, mezzanine floor with ladder and bed and architrave around the windows and door.

I'm really hoping I can get it finished before I leave. :pray:

The next 2 weeks I'm at Piranha finishing the trailer project, Solar Suzuki and doing some more on the airboat. :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Tremendous job Ben, I wouldn't worry too much about the difference in height on the veranda roof it'll add character to the job. That tree house will be there long after we are all pushing up daisies.

The tree house is looking great, well done.
Did you do the HR truck licence? I've just booked in to do the course myself. What did you have to do theory and practically wise? They told me its just 15 hours over two days. I thought it would have been more in depth than that?

Ben,why not borrow the tandem trailer off your boss and shift the car on that,I have a tandem trailer,looks about the same size and have shifted machines etc.

The tree house is looking great, well done.
Did you do the HR truck licence? I've just booked in to do the course myself. What did you have to do theory and practically wise? They told me its just 15 hours over two days. I thought it would have been more in depth than that?

Yes I did the Heavy Rigid license.

Theory was half a day in a classroom learning with a test at the end. Then the practical was 7-12 Saturday morning with 4 hours of practice and then an hour long test. If the instructor had felt I wasnt ready for the test I would have had to book in for more hours of tuition.

My advice to you would be to book the practical for a Saturday as the roads are so much quieter. I had to wait another 3 weeks to get a Saturday spot but IMO it was well worth the wait. :icon-biggrin:

Ben,why not borrow the tandem trailer off your boss and shift the car on that,I have a tandem trailer,looks about the same size and have shifted machines etc.

I wish I could Pat but the hire trucks dont have towbars and I've got no way of getting the trailer back to Melbourne as it wont fit inside the hire truck, easily. :thumbdown:

I've got people who have kindly offered to drive the Astra up for me for free. But once you factor in fuel, a night in a motel on the way and an air ticket home for them from the Gold Coast its as much, if not more than the $600 we've currently been quoted to have it trucked up. :|

I'm thinking paying the money and getting it trucked up is going to be the best option. :think:

Tree House is looking great.
Quite funny while reading the update just then, the little fb chat icon appeared on screen of you :lol:

Thanks mate. [emoji106] [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back