Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

You could do worse than copy the look of Rogers back bumperettes Ben ;)

Doesn't the surf have the same pre-heat and after-heat system as the KZJ or didn't the donor come with all the bits?

Maybe I missed something but why the need to fit an X-brake in the 1st place? Was it the availability of the mod that made the decision or a problem with your drums?

To be fair to X-Engineering I've always found them good to deal with and the products I've used have been good, just happy I don't need the brake :lol:

Rogers back bumperettes look smart, but its not quite what i want. ive a few really good ideas for my rear bumper, just need to get those ideas on paper, and then mock one together in timber to scale. :)

the 4-runner did have all the preheat bits, and ive still got them, but auto electrics are not my strong point and its a bit of a maze of wires. :?

i will hopefully get the original pre heat system fixed eventually, but will need an auto electrician to look at it. :)

the reason for fitting the x-brake was because my handbrake has been rubbish for a long time, despite having new shoes. and the other reason is i want to upgrade to rear discs, using the brand new front callipers that came on the 4-runner. :thumbup:

i havnt got the x-brake fixed yet, but do now have the replacement parts to fit. I found x-eng were a good company to deal with, and Simon sent the replacement parts straight out. :thumbup:

The only reason for mentioning the existing pre-heat system is because it does make a big difference to the smooth running when it's cold, not just the ease of starting. I'm sure there are enough KZJs on here that can identify what wire goes where etc to help you along, there aren't many trick electrickery parts on the earlier cars.

Seems a shame that you've had the problem with the x brake when it might have been easier to fix your drums :(

I remember some discussions in the dim and distant past about converting to discs on the back but don't recall the outcome. Maybe Roger can remember, might save some tears during the conversion.

So it's gonna be a scaled down ARB style is it?

Bloody hell Col, I've just spent far too long mooching through half of that build thread on MUD... :oops:

Great stuf!!! :lol:

And yeah, you're making some progress too Ben... :p

:cool:

jonkem said:
The only reason for mentioning the existing pre-heat system is because it does make a big difference to the smooth running when it's cold, not just the ease of starting. I'm sure there are enough KZJs on here that can identify what wire goes where etc to help you along, there aren't many trick electrickery parts on the earlier cars.

Seems a shame that you've had the problem with the x brake when it might have been easier to fix your drums :(

I remember some discussions in the dim and distant past about converting to discs on the back but don't recall the outcome. Maybe Roger can remember, might save some tears during the conversion.

So it's gonna be a scaled down ARB style is it?

i would like to get the pre heat system working, and hopefully one day i will. ive got a few wiring diagrams now, which should help.
i might try and get a toyota 4-runner workshop manual, maybe the engine and/or electrical wiring one.

yes maybe that would have been a better way to go, or even doing a disc conversion using callipers that have the handbrake cable attached to them. but ive spent £250 now, so im determined to get the x brake working properly. :thumbup:

ive not actually seen any 70 rear bumpers i like, but i do have a good idea in my head of how i want it to look. it will have to complement my ARB style front bumper though. :cool:

Birder said:
Ben, I am not sure if you have seen this rear bumper

http://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/436341-troopie-build-5.html#post6259469

Its a troopy but may give you some ideas, the bumper starts on page 5 of the full build

thanks Colin, i hadnt seen that thread. is a great thread and some great work going into it. :clap:

some really good ideas, i especially like the rear storage cabinets, with drop down doors that double as cooking shelves.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/ ... ld-17.html

only read a few pages so far, but very impressive. i particularly like the rude pics hes slipped in continuously through out the thread! :lol:

Gav Peter said:
Bloody hell Col, I've just spent far too long mooching through half of that build thread on MUD... :oops:

Great stuf!!! :lol:

And yeah, you're making some progress too Ben... :p

:cool:

:lol:

not as much progress as id like mate, but its hard trying to find the time. :thumbdown:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What are you on about Ben

attachment.php

attachment.php

had a couple of deliveries today! :)

firstly my new rear lights, which Rob very kindly ordered and sent me. huge thanks Rob, i really appreciate it. :clap: :thumbup:

PB240002.jpg

PB240003.jpg

im going to make and fit the rear bumper before fitting the new lights, as i dont want to break another set! :oops: :thumbup:

my second delivery was another genuine toyota workshop manual, which has got a very badly damaged cover, but the inside looks ok.

PB240004.jpg

PB240005.jpg

ive got most of the toyota manuals in pdf form now, thanks to a few helpful people, but id still like to have the manuals in paper form, as there easier to look at in the workshop.

will hopefully get the rest of them, as and when they pop up for sale. :thumbup:

i didnt intend on getting out of bed today as i felt quite hungover. :sick:

but after watching a load of 4wd action videos on youtube:-

http://www.youtube.com/user/4wdmonthly#p/u

i felt inspired to get some work done on my truck, so at 1pm i got dressed and got the spanners out. :thumbup:

first job was to remove the x-eng handbrake.

PB260001.jpg

the one pad looked very badly worn, and had even broken a piece off.

PB260003.jpg

re-fitted the original handbrake cable.

PB260004.jpg

next i decided to re-fit my towbar, as i will be needing to trailer the remains of the 4-runner to the scrap yard soon to weigh it in.

PB260006.jpg

when digging the towbar out of my shed, i spotted 2 big sections of steel box, that i bought many years ago to use as bumpers on my first 4x4.

190259_1008579337695_1321312196_18171_3316_n.jpg

198561_1008579457698_1321312196_18174_6031_n.jpg

unfortunately, at the time, i hadnt had an arc welder very long, and my early welds, that resembled pigeon 5hit, also had the strength of pigeon 5hit! :lol:

197093_1008597618152_1321312196_18212_3568_n.jpg

anyway............................back to the toyota!

so there i was looking at fitting the towbar, and thinking about the fact i still need to make a back bumper, when boom i had a brain wave!

the 2 huge pieces of box in the shed, that i was thinking of weighing in, would work nicely as a back bumper, and i had a genius way of attaching it, if it was the right size for my idea to work.

so after moving 6 35" tyres out of the way, i was able to drag out the bits of box!

PB260005.jpg

a few measurements later, and i had confirmation my idea would work! :dance:

so i got the 2 bits of box in the workshop.

PB260007.jpg

PB260008.jpg

stuck a flap wheel in the big grinder and ground the old weld off.

PB260009.jpg

next i marked out where i wanted the large cut out to be, and clamped an old piece of wood on, to act as a straight edge.

PB260010.jpg

it took some cutting, even with the 9" grinder, due to the fact the steel is 5mm thick!

PB260011.jpg

PB260012.jpg

put it in the vice, so i could use a flap wheel disc to smooth out the bottom edge of the cut out.

PB260013.jpg

with the box cut out, it was ready to try on the truck.

PB260014.jpg

PB260015.jpg

a lovely fit around the rear cross member.

PB260016.jpg

PB260017.jpg

PB260018.jpg

dont worry about the exhaust, ive got a cunning plan for that to!

PB260021.jpg

next job was to clamp it firmly in place.

PB260024.jpg

i then used a paint pen to mark through the 4 threaded holes in the chassis cross member.
then i brought the bumper back into the workshop, and got it back on the bench.

PB260025.jpg

so the rear recovery point will bolt through the bumper into the chassis cross member.

PB260026.jpg

centre punched and drilled out.

PB260027.jpg

PB260028.jpg

i then bolted it back in place.

PB260029.jpg

PB260030.jpg

PB260031.jpg

PB260032.jpg

needs a little adjustment, as its a little bit too close to the rear lights for my liking.

PB260033.jpg

next job is to drill a couple more holes, to pick up 2 of the threaded holes in the chassis cross member, as i want to add a few more bolts for strength.

then i can start on the end pieces which are going to be a little time consuming as theres some tricky angles, to get right in order to make the bumper look like the image in my head.

this isnt how i was planning on making the bumper, i was going to make a wooden template, like the front one, and then get steel bent and cut, and then weld it all together on the wooden template. but i think this will be stronger, and obviously the steel was sat in the shed and would only have been weighed in! :thumbup:

Theres a pre-heater relay on fleabay at the moment, its off an LJ70 though, guess you need a surf one?

Pete

thanks Pete. :thumbup:

i dont actually need one though. the one on my 70 does work, and ive still got the 4-runner one. the problem is that :thumbup: he wiring is a bloody mess and there quite a few wires that arnt connected to anything, and quite a few bits on the engine that arnt connected to anything!

the main things that dont work atm is the pre heat system and the oil pressure gauge.

it really needs an auto electrician to look at it, but im yet to find a good one, and all the ones i have used (and havnt been impressed with) charge £40 per hour. :thumbdown:

Ben if I was closer I'd come and sort out your wiring!

I need to make a rear bumper soon.. I can't decide on the design and much like yours iwill be decided on what steel I find...

jeepmadmike said:

I need to make a rear bumper soon.. I can't decide on the design and much like yours iwill be decided on what steel I find...

thats very kind of you, thanks. :thumbup:

Landcruiser Power said:
IMG_0107.jpg

Saw this on the web ben looks smart

now that does look smart. :clap:

have you got a link to any more pics of that truck? build thread maybe?

i will be making the corners of mine in a similar way to that. :thumbup:

need to work out how to attach a tow ball to mine though really. :think:

That looks mint. What a cracking piece of work. Got my MIG finger twitching.

C

ben said:
jeepmadmike said:

thats very kind of you, thanks. :thumbup:

Landcruiser Power said:
IMG_0107.jpg

Saw this on the web ben looks smart

now that does look smart. :clap:

have you got a link to any more pics of that truck? build thread maybe?

i will be making the corners of mine in a similar way to that. :thumbup:

need to work out how to attach a tow ball to mine though really. :think:
IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Back