Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Update time guy.......................................

I needed to fit the fuel sender unit but I foolishly cut the float arm down to fit the 1st tank I made which was 50mm shorter in height. :doh:

DSCN1341_zpscms1uk6z.jpg

DSCN1342_zpsr8t7khkw.jpg

Not a problem with a TIG though. :icon-cool:

Clamped in position.

DSCN1343_zpsb5omztjj.jpg

DSCN1344_zpsyyn95q2m.jpg

DSCN1345_zps2vanuzmp.jpg

With the TIG set an incredibly low 15amps I melted the 2 pieces of 3mm rod back together.

DSCN1346_zpsixbzjua9.jpg

DSCN1347_zpsbjz4tuur.jpg

It was then ready for assembly.

DSCN1348_zpskcpoorfm.jpg

DSCN1349_zpsvuyxombm.jpg

DSCN1350_zpsjnkk5bnw.jpg

It could then be bolted in position.

DSCN1354_zpsvsfp2plc.jpg

DSCN1358_zpst7gykbok.jpg

DSCN1361_zpsorzj2gjs.jpg

Connected some 8mm fuel hose.

DSCN1362_zpsln3tvns6.jpg

And ran it along the edge of the drawer system to where I'm thinking of mounting the filter and pump.

DSCN1364_zpsarv04jkv.jpg

The filter will be held in place by some rubber quick fists.

DSCN1366_zps5wwyvlro.jpg

DSCN1367_zpstwd86hnj.jpg

DSCN1368_zpssf1fzyka.jpg

DSCN1369_zps4crwajwj.jpg

I connected it all roughly together so I could try filling the tank.

DSCN1370_zps6wszrmxu.jpg

Having not driven LJ for a while I found the batteries were flat. :doh:

I'm going to grab a solar panel from work and put an anderson plug on the end so I can plug it into the socket on my bullbar so it keeps the batteries topped up. :icon-cool:

The Astra came to the rescue.

DSCN1372_zpse9zlwshm.jpg

Then it was off to the local fuel servo to see how the tank would fill.

DSCN1375_zps9deqb3oe.jpg

Now something a bit weird happened!

Half way through fueling the pump switched off. I went in and spoke to the guy behind the counter thinking he had switched the pump off, but he hadnt. :?

I'd put 42 litres in no problem and then the pump went dead.

DSCN1376_zpsrjo6bz2c.jpg

The guy suggested I try another pump which I did and was then able to pump the remaining 48 litres in. :|

With the tank in, full and not leaking, I could fit the drawer system.

I needed to drill through the 50mm x 20mm box section on the bottom of the drawer system frame.

DSCN1377_zpsfvo1xr0x.jpg

A step drill always works well in thin material like this but it also meant I could put a big hole through the top layer to fit a socket through and a smaller hole through the other layer for an M8 bolt.

DSCN1378_zps8mbihtct.jpg

Bolted in position, down through 3 of the tabs on the fuel tank to also help bolt that down + another 3 bolts in the other length of box section.

DSCN1379_zpsuigampvj.jpg

Fuel sender wiring next.

DSCN1380_zpsru2vx2zv.jpg

One terminal needed earthing and the other wire runs up to the gauge on the dash.

DSCN1381_zpsfeg03kwj.jpg

DSCN1382_zpsky8xafbx.jpg

I left the wire for the gauge coiled up at the side of the tank for now.

DSCN1383_zpsb7mvu68h.jpg

I trimmed the ply wood next that sits on top of the drawer system and over the fuel tank.

Drilled a hole for the fuel tank filler neck.

DSCN1384_zpsnxbtjf8s.jpg

And the other piece for clearance around the fuel sender.

DSCN1385_zpsxu3fskjs.jpg

Fitted them.

DSCN1388_zps12oumk5a.jpg

DSCN1389_zpstg8srwui.jpg

DSCN1390_zps6dutfugz.jpg

DSCN1391_zps2mdbkdnz.jpg

As I'm moving the locks on my drawers up higher I had to make new drawer fronts.

DSCN1493_zpslim81gg0.jpg

DSCN1494_zpsckg0hdjm.jpg

DSCN1497_zpsjyuz6sy7.jpg

DSCN1498_zps84uwr9jo.jpg

DSCN1499_zpsppadnrhf.jpg

DSCN1500_zpsbvck4zv8.jpg

DSCN1501_zpskxdkw3ay.jpg

Fridge slide next.

DSCN1513_zpskkk3zpdk.jpg

Fridge.

DSCN1514_zps7uyfbejt.jpg

DSCN1516_zpsmg2ygidz.jpg

Waffle boards next.

DSCN1517_zpsc5cqdpzn.jpg

As my umbrella no longer fits in my now shortened drawers I found it fits quite snugly next to my waffle boards.

DSCN1518_zpslqtgfdtm.jpg

DSCN1519_zps5f1oitlm.jpg

Re-fitted the ply and rubber mat.

DSCN1529_zpsuawrvlxr.jpg

DSCN1530_zps5xzsx9kq.jpg

DSCN1532_zpshw7zhmel.jpg

DSCN1533_zps41sl2rub.jpg

DSCN1534_zpsz307uegp.jpg

DSCN1535_zpsstw9nc4s.jpg

Loaded my recovery gear drawer.

DSCN1536_zpswrym3jfp.jpg

Sorted out my tools for the other drawer.

DSCN1537_zpsmvltzkyx.jpg

DSCN1538_zpsmijfgrir.jpg

Decided as I havent got another 35" BFG and so dont have a spare that I would put the 37's on as then I could use one of the 35's as a spare. :icon-twisted:

DSCN1539_zpsd3z4i1kd.jpg

Found a split boot on one of my tie rod ends.

DSCN1540_zps82mi6bpt.jpg

Fitted a new rubber boot off an old tie rod end.

DSCN1541_zpsmqwwmqec.jpg

Tyres all on.

DSCN1542_zpsf8kldibb.jpg

So then I was all ready to take my future brother in law on a 4wd trip. :dance:

But then I had to have a wisdom tooth removed as it was growing into one of my other teeth and I totally under estimated how much pain I would be in. :doh:

Been dosing myself up with plenty of codeine but that has been making me feel pretty out of it at times so there no chance I can drive! :thumbdown:

So no 4wd trip before I fly to Europe on Monday. :(

But only a couple of weeks till my 4wd trip in the UK with some great mates, cant wait!! :dance:

Few work pics!

I finished welding up the alluminium tray for the back of the solar suzuki.

DSCN1479_zpsp7stkppl.jpg

DSCN1480_zpsb2cxkjst.jpg

Added a few brackets and rounded 2 of the corners.

DSCN1481_zpsjsckqh9e.jpg

DSCN1482_zpsuwntfipf.jpg

I had to make a lightweight tow bar for the solar Suzuki which can be used as a recovery point but also to tow the other Suzuki using the A frame as one of the conditions of the world record attempt is that the only vehicles that are able to assist/recover each other are the 2 solar Suzukis.

DSCN1483_zpsqiqj8sig.jpg

I chose to fully TIG weld it for maximum strength.

DSCN1484_zpszdjvi7oh.jpg

Fitted.

DSCN1485_zps08krfqqc.jpg

DSCN1488_zpscaydaiqb.jpg

Got the tray for the panels back from the powdercoaters.

DSCN1521_zps8apqwxym.jpg

DSCN1523_zpsbg0hmwzh.jpg

Now there is no escaping the fact that this looks hideous! :thumbdown:

Had I of ordered the solar panels I would have measured the space in the vehicle and with careful consideration I would have ordered panels that would have fitted inside the back of the vehicle. Obviously that didnt happen and I was given the task of trying to store these panels in the back of the vehicle. :icon-rolleyes: :eusa-snooty:

DSCN1524_zpse5vzx1gf.jpg

DSCN1525_zpsdexzzmae.jpg

DSCN1526_zpssetoown1.jpg

DSCN1527_zpstnfc52bg.jpg

They leave for the world record attempt next week and sadly I will miss the millions of flies, dust, heat, seemingly never ending sand dunes and the hours and hours of sitting around in the desert everyday waiting for the batteries to re-charge as I will be on holiday in Europe! :icon-cool:

But I wish them good luck and pray the vehicle I've built makes it across the desert and into the record books! :thumbup:

If they make it, it will make news around the world, so keep an eye out guys. :icon-wink:

Last edited:
Looks like a successful reorganisation of the boot storage and fuel tank.
I decided last weekend i and my shorter wife were fed up of standing on a stool to reach into fridge in back, and I can't bring my self to spend over £500 on a fridge drop slide.
So I ended up chopping things up in back, 1 week before our trip to Iceland....
Fridge now sits in a drawer, with plenty of air gap around vents.
But I didn't have time to build a storage area above (hanging off canopy roof) it in the big void where fridge uses to take space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with Andy there. I dont understand why people put the fridge on top of the drawers. I am.tall and.It's a pain. I am going to.have the fridge on the floor with 2 drawers ontop of each other.
Stu

Looks like a successful reorganisation of the boot storage and fuel tank.
I decided last weekend i and my shorter wife were fed up of standing on a stool to reach into fridge in back, and I can't bring my self to spend over £500 on a fridge drop slide.
So I ended up chopping things up in back, 1 week before our trip to Iceland....
Fridge now sits in a drawer, with plenty of air gap around vents.
But I didn't have time to build a storage area above (hanging off canopy roof) it in the big void where fridge uses to take space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with Andy there. I dont understand why people put the fridge on top of the drawers. I am.tall and.It's a pain. I am going to.have the fridge on the floor with 2 drawers ontop of each other.
Stu

This is on of our problems... whilst I'm 6'4"ish, Delz (wife) is only 5' on a good day... And the 4Runner has the split tailgate style, like a UK spec 80 series, but unlike a ute/pickup there is no ability to drop the bottom half to being 180* from closed, instead it sits at 90*... which, whilst providing a comfortable seat and a useful surface does not make getting into the back easy. I wanted to do 150mm deep drawers (we could still reach into the esky on top of that easily enough), but I'm now thinking based on your comments about doing one 300mm deep instead on one side, and leave the other side for the esky... OR... a part drawer behind the esky slot... damn... a whole load of new ideas....

I sympathise with you Ben. I had three wisdom teeth out under general anaesthetic last year. Couldn't open my mouth more than 10mm and looked like Alvin the Chipmunk for a week!! Not the most fun I've had it has to be said!!

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

I think the main reason people put the fridge on top of the drawer system is because most off the shelf drawer systems for 4wd's take up the whole of the floor space in the boot so on top is the only real place for the fridge. :think:

With my particular setup I built the drawer system long before I thought about buying a fridge as for 4wd trips in the UK I never found a fridge or even a cool box necessary.

Another consideration needs to be as to whether you have a lift up tailgate like UK spec 80's or barn doors like on my 70 and whether you have a swing out wheel carrier or not.

With my particular setup I can open my smaller rear door without having to swing out the wheel carrier. With this little door open, I can easily lift the lid on the fridge and grab a cold beer. I've also designed my drawer system so that I have one big drawer and one small one. The small one which houses all my recovery gear can be opened with the main rear door closed and the swing out wheel carrier closed. So I literally open the small door and can reach the recovery drawer for a snatch strap/shackle and if I'm really stuck a beer! :icon-cool:

In an 80 or 4-Runner then I think the fridge mounted on the floor with 2 drawers on top of each other next to it makes real sense, but in a barn door setup like LJ I think I prefer my setup, as having the fridge mounted on the floor would mean having to open the swing out wheel carrier and both rear doors to get recovery gear. :think:

I sympathise with you Ben. I had three wisdom teeth out under general anaesthetic last year. Couldn't open my mouth more than 10mm and looked like Alvin the Chipmunk for a week!! Not the most fun I've had it has to be said!!

Thanks mate its been f****g hell! :cry:

Yesterday, having spent 4 days in bed on constant pain killers I went back to the dentist and he said some of the stitches had come loose. So he re-stitched it but said it could take weeks to heal as I've got exposed bone where the tooth was.

I fly to England this evening and I'm really not looking forward to it. I've normally got quite a high pain threshold but this has really knocked me about. :thumbdown:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't think there is any pain worse than toothache so hopefully you will be over the worst when you get to the UK.

Ben, there's nothing soppy about finding your partner in life mate, it's the most important thing you'll ever do!

Skip back a few pages on this thread, you weren't going to get tied down, you were going to live your dream. Well trust me, plans are made to be broken, live is an evolution and it takes you where you've never dreamed, good and bad, so stay on it mate, life is good! :lol:

Ben Congratulations on passing your welding exam. Just rewards for all your practise and patience.:clap::clap:

Couldn't agrre more with Clive about finding that one special person to spend the rest of your life with.:icon-cool::icon-cool:

Yours dreams sound awesome and something very to be followed to the end for sure.:thumbup::thumbup:

Also with regards to Starcruisers idea of keeping a Aloe Vera plant around i could agree more. One suggestion i would make is if you know you may get sunburn't or burn from doing slot of welding cut a big leaf of the Aloe Vera plant and put it in the Fridge as the cold will help with the burn as well.:icon-wink::icon-wink:

Lastly enjoy your trip over to the UK with Bec.:icon-cool::icon-cool:

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

I've had a busy week and a half since arriving back in the UK.

Will get some pics up soon hopefully. :icon-wink:

Been shopping for parts for LJ today and got a complete aircon kit! :dance: :icon-cool: :icon-biggrin:

Got a 4WD trip this Sunday, then Monday I'm off to Portugal for some much needed sun! :dance:

Think I arrived a bit too late in the UK and have missed summer. :doh:

Still warmish but grey, overcast and raining every day, but Portugal should make up for that! :icon-cool:

The tooth ache has finally gone a bit easier and after 2 weeks of taking 6 pills every 4 hours I'm finally taking non! :clap:

I'm afraid you have Ben. Summer was a week last Tuesday at about 1 O'clock in the afternoon.

Glad the teeth are finally settling down. I didn't realise how bad it was going to be. I fortunately had no trouble with stitches but remember having as many pain killers as I was allowed and acting like a junkie longing for the next fix. There's something about pain in the head that's so debilitating. Still, glad you're off the pills, that means major improvement.

Enjoy Portugal.

I'm afraid you have Ben. Summer was a week last Tuesday at about 1 O'clock in the afternoon.

:lol:

I was rather hopeful for good weather having heard on the news before I came over of the UK experiencing a heat wave and the hottest Wimbledon for 150 years! :icon-cool:

Oh well still a dam sight warmer than freezing cold Melbourne! :occasion-snowman:

Glad the teeth are finally settling down. I didn't realise how bad it was going to be. I fortunately had no trouble with stitches but remember having as many pain killers as I was allowed and acting like a junkie longing for the next fix. There's something about pain in the head that's so debilitating. Still, glad you're off the pills, that means major improvement.

Enjoy Portugal.

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

:lol:

I was rather hopeful for good weather having heard on the news before I came over of the UK experiencing a heat wave and the hottest Wimbledon for 150 years! :icon-cool:

Oh well still a dam sight warmer than freezing cold Melbourne! :occasion-snowman:

You're right with that one, its 8 degrees and blowing 50-80kph winds down here in Adelaide this weekend. Sounds like it'll be calm by Tuesday, before the next front comes over by Thursday! We need the rain though, so not all bad.

Hi Ben I'm alittle lost and hope ud be able to help me maybe? How much did u up ur fuel by as I've upped mine and the red turbo warning light comes on when in forth and fifth wen around 2500 rpm. When it comes on It's asif it bogs down so I then ease off the throttle it's ok when floor it again. It's driving me crazy do I need to do anything else?
Also are you on face book? Cheers mate

I think either a faulty pressure sensor is telling your engine lies or the turbo wastegate is sticking a 5 quid boost gauge would tell you whats going on .

Last edited:
Which one is pressure sensor/ where is it any pics?
Could it be theat upping the fuel has created too much boost so need to turn down?

I doubt its fuel related but lets not sully Ben's epic thread with this , if you can resurrect the other one you had about boost i will try to find a pic and post it there ok

Pic posted on your thread Craig

Last edited:
Hi Ben I'm alittle lost and hope ud be able to help me maybe? How much did u up ur fuel by as I've upped mine and the red turbo warning light comes on when in forth and fifth wen around 2500 rpm. When it comes on It's asif it bogs down so I then ease off the throttle it's ok when floor it again. It's driving me crazy do I need to do anything else?
Also are you on face book? Cheers mate

I didnt actually up mine, my mate did and all he did was wind the fuel pump up a few rotations.

I think Shayne probably has far more knowledge on messing with fueling and boost on the 1KZ-T(E) so hopefully he can help you on the other thread. :thumbup:

Back