Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 water temperature and cold start problem

LordToy

Country Flag
italy
hi,
i have an lj70 2.4td with 2lt engine and 170.000km.
now have emerged any problems... :doh:

first problem:
in the morning when are the temperature about -4 to 0 c° the cold start aren't good than any time ago...
the engine (if i do a little pump with accelerator) start up with 3 cylinder for 4/5 second and after go normally (with the low rpm a little bit lower than normally)...
i have changed all the 4 glow plugs, principal relè on engine (starter relè), pre hot timer but the problem are present curently..

you know some possible solutions? :pray:

second:
the lancet of the water temperature in first time stay in the normal position at 1/4 of the meter but about some week had change the normal position at the middle of the meter..sometimes had a peak (togheter the lancet of the level of gasoline) at the max level of the meter on the red zone!..
i had change: thermostat, water temp sens on the engine, liquid of radiator with apposite coolant liquid...
please help me..! :pray:

sorry for my very bad english!
best regard's
lorFred

hi lorFred,

some of the others will help more than me, but have you got someone who can do a compression test on the cylinders and a pressure test on the cooling system to check for leaks? the reason i ask is that some of the symptoms sound like a head gasket/head problem (cylinder head to engine block) as i've had lazy starting engines when the head gasket has been on it's way out due to coolant leaking into the cylinder.

good luck!

ed

hi lorFred,

some of the others will help more than me, but have you got someone who can do a compression test on the cylinders and a pressure test on the cooling system to check for leaks? the reason i ask is that some of the symptoms sound like a head gasket/head problem (cylinder head to engine block) as i've had lazy starting engines when the head gasket has been on it's way out due to coolant leaking into the cylinder.

good luck!

ed

thank's for your reply!..
i have called 2 hours ago an center for injectors overhaul and for test the compression on the cylinders and on the cooling system...
low pressure on 1 cylinder are the possibile cause of my problem but after the first 5 second the car are ok, engine run good and the power of the engine are the same than before of problems...
i think isn't a problem of gasket/head beacuse the level of the water don't go down, on the recovery tank i don't see gas bubble and isn't white foam on the oil plug..
maybe the problem are most simple than what i think...
if 1 injector don't do good work (if the pulverization is low) maybe cause the problem because 1 cylinder had difficolty to burn diesel...

or if the check valve in 1 injector is locked open maybe when i start the car 1 injector are without gasoline because the system of it are empty and after some second the pressure of system send gasoline in all injector..?

are a possible correct diagnosis?
thank's a lot
lorFred

hi lorFred,
on cold starts make sure you are turning the ignition on and waiting for the glow plug light on the dash to go out. with your fan .. you need to top the fan up with silicon. loads of information on the web when you know what to search for.

hi!
when i do cold starts i listen the "click" of the relè before turn on the engine...sometimes when is a lot cold (-10 c°) i repeat for 2/3 time the pre hot of the glow plugs for heat better the engine and help the ignition... ;)
but now the problem continues.. :(

i have (when i have buy the car) locked the viscostatic...isn't this the cause of temperature...i think is an elettrical problem of the gasoline and water temp meter....
you know where is the meter ground (water and gasoline) ?
maybe the ground haven't an a good contact with the chassies..
thank's a lot
lorFred

i think is an elettrical problem of the gasoline and water temp meter....
you know where is the meter ground (water and gasoline) ?
maybe the ground haven't an a good contact with the chassies..
thank's a lot
lorFred
common problem with 70-series and also 60-series. after random driving hours both gasoline and temp meters go all the way up. it has something to do with stabilizing connectors inside the meter, current generates small spikes to connecting copper surfaces. i had this same symptom in my 1992 lj70 and also in my 1990 hj61.with lj meters went back to normal position after a while but with hj i had to stop and start car over again.

my mate had a problem with one of the relays it would start ok for few seconds then start miss firing..it turned out their is one relay that keeps 12v to the glow plug after the engine is running for a while... his one had 12v with key turned but when cranking it would stick because of the power drop..then not come back when engine was running.. he changed the relay and it seemed to fix it

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sounds as though your Gasket is gone or maybe even head, which has caused water to start leaking inside the cylinders, which over time will cause rust and excessive wear. Alongside this it'll make starting difficult as water or ice may be present in the cylinder. Just because your cooling system isn't pressurizing doesn't mean you don't have a cracked head or faulty Gasket. Compression test the cylinders and cooling system and see how that goes. It is a "common" problem with the 2.4 engine to overheat when pushed, or if the cooling systems not 100%

My 70 series dose the odd fuel and heater gage reading, every now and again they both shoot right up and read a full tank and in the red for engine temp, I'd love to know why it dose this. With regarding the cold start, this week I have up rated all the wirers that go from the alternator to the cold start relay, it's never started so good, now half a turn and it jumps into gear, Infact it starts better than my company diesel car. it could be that your plugs arnt getting full current. I can also confirm that it dose continue to heat the plugs for a short wile after it's 1st cold start, maybe the 2nd relay is faulty, I think it's under the wheel arch on left hand side.

The answer to your start up issue is fuelling. Try removing the fuel filler cap before starting on a cold morning, if this fixes the problem then it means the vent is blocked on the fuel tank. If it doesn't fix the problem then it means you have air leaking into the fuel system somewhere between the pump and the injectors, quite possibly the injectors themselves will need replacing or reconditioning. I have had the same issue with 3 previous vehicles, one of which was an LJ78 - that one turned out to be an air leak into the system but I never managed to trace it. I had been running it on veg oil so switched back to diesel and the issue never got any worse. As for the other two, one was another air leak and one had a blocked fuel tank vent. All produced the same symptoms.

Good luck sorting it out. Jim.

thank's a lot for your interest!..
in this week i had do some kilometers with the toy and i see where are the problem...is the head... :(
i have mounted an vdo water temperature gauge...the temperature go around 88c° (min level!) 105c° (max level!)...if remove the radiator plug with cold engine when i start i see little bubbles go up and the coolant go out...
friday night i start to remove all of the engine for change: head, gasket, valves, injector and radiator..i hope so to solve the problem!..

best regard's
lorFred

thank's a lot!!
in the week end i have removed a lot part's of engine..the work continued... :)

bye
lorFred

Last edited:
Back