Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 Build Thread

Really nice update Ben!!

I love new led lights in the front! How many watt are ?

How are configurates the dual batteries on your lj78? you use original alternator (50ah?) for both? I can't remember if you spoke about it yet....

I hope you could solve you problem with e-locker motor...it will be best than manual conversion...

How is Sam on LJ? My baby girl loves go on it, because is higher and with large windows....she loves look around

EDIT

I saw now last update!! how you wanna fix these sliders on you lj? on chassis or body?

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

Do you mean the LED lights in the bullbar?

Not sure what watt they are but this them:

http://www.auto8.com.au/1-x-new-fro...ll-bar-light-fits-truck-4x4-bullbar-lamp.html

The alternator is actually a 120 amp one off an 80 series IIRC and the batteries are just wired together, as they left the factory.

Thanks, I'm really keen to get the rear locker working, its such a rare extra on these cars, so it would be nice to keep it original. :icon-biggrin:

Sam and The 78.............

Bit of a sore subject at the moment. :icon-sad:

My current wife has decided she doesnt want him to go off road until hes at least 4 because she doesnt want him being bounced around and shaken in the car! :|

So for the next 4 years it will be just Lexi and I on the 4wd/camping trips, which I'm planning on doing at least once a month! :shifty:

Oh well.............

At least I will get a decent nights sleep every night on this weekends trip! :dance:

We did wait until our daughter was 8 months and then very easy tracks.

What would farmers do that live down dirt roads?

I didn't start to take her proper until she was at least 2.5 years old. Much before that they are to floppy and can't hold them selves very well.

4 is a bit old.

Lexi loves going out in the cruiser.

Reactions: Ben
I think Bec will mellow before 4 years are up, Ben.

She’s being protective and rightly so, it’s her job and instinct kicks in.

But once he’s running around between 2 and 3, he’ll be doing himself more damage than you’ll do on a forest track and she’ll see sense.

Ana fell against the bottom tread of our wooden staircase as she was learning to walk. She punched a bottom tooth right through her bottom lip, and bled like a stuck pig.

After that episode, nothing seemed to compare, and she became a person in her own right. We had her strapped into the baby seat Offroad at the age of 2+ but of course I took care on the bumps. I’m not keen on being flung around the truck either, so our ventures are quite tame really.

I mean the rounds ones in front of the car... i love this type of lights...

At least I will get a decent nights sleep every night on this weekends trip!

This is most important thing! :D :D

surely, easy tracks would have no risk. actually, probably safer then driving in traffic!

I just got the next size seat front facing for our 16 months child ....and she will enjoy the better views in the LJ.

just dont plan on doeing any track where locking diffs would be required.... easy stuff and....not for too long in the car anyway.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sliders are coming along nicely.

Emma was always a bit against the kids going laning when young. Lily was about 1 when went first time, was over a year before she went again (2 and half ish).
Oscars 1st trip he fell asleep and wasn't fussed at all, he was about 2.
They do more injury to themselves then will happen on the lanes.
(Did you see the pics of what Lily did at Brownies?!!)

As suggested the odd gentle track and a bit of camping at a nice site with the family. Keeps all the gear in use and keeps the missus happy.

Do you mean the LED lights in the bullbar?

Not sure what watt they are but this them:

http://www.auto8.com.au/1-x-new-fro...ll-bar-light-fits-truck-4x4-bullbar-lamp.html

The alternator is actually a 120 amp one off an 80 series IIRC and the batteries are just wired together, as they left the factory.

Thanks, I'm really keen to get the rear locker working, its such a rare extra on these cars, so it would be nice to keep it original. :icon-biggrin:

Sam and The 78.............

Bit of a sore subject at the moment. :icon-sad:

My current wife has decided she doesnt want him to go off road until hes at least 4 because she doesnt want him being bounced around and shaken in the car! :|

So for the next 4 years it will be just Lexi and I on the 4wd/camping trips, which I'm planning on doing at least once a month! :shifty:

Oh well.............

At least I will get a decent nights sleep every night on this weekends trip! :dance:
How olds little man ben?

Don't tell Bec what farm kids and families do...

I've got a friend who was still working on stock horses until she was 7 months pregnant (admittedly she didn't realise she was pregnant...), and another who was out on the quad bike with her kids at about 4 months old... Used to work on a property where you'd see the owners wife driving round breast feeding the youngest as well!

Used to work on a property where you'd see the owners wife driving round breast feeding the youngest as well!
That must have been quite a feat on a quad bike over rough terrain… for both mother and child! Bet they didn’t continue once the kid sprouted front teeth. :scared-eek:

Last edited:
Thanks guys. :thumbup:

I know everything would be fine if he came! :|

I would only be driving slowly and carefully and as this is my touring vehicle its not built for driving tough tracks so I will be avoiding any really difficult sections! :think:

Also the fact I'm running shit tyres and no diff locks kind of limits its off road ability some what! :shifty:

I mean the rounds ones in front of the car... i love this type of lights...

They're just cheap ebay ones. They're not bad but I do want to get the brackets electroplated and powdercoated as they are starting to rust slightly. :icon-biggrin:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7inch-6...757092?hash=item33e37a0624:g:rPwAAOSwho1asfns

Sliders are coming along nicely.

Emma was always a bit against the kids going laning when young. Lily was about 1 when went first time, was over a year before she went again (2 and half ish).
Oscars 1st trip he fell asleep and wasn't fussed at all, he was about 2.
They do more injury to themselves then will happen on the lanes.
(Did you see the pics of what Lily did at Brownies?!!)

As suggested the odd gentle track and a bit of camping at a nice site with the family. Keeps all the gear in use and keeps the missus happy.

No not sure I saw the pic. What did she do? :)

How olds little man ben?

Hes 5 months now. :icon-biggrin:

All brand new then! She'll come round, and probably be glad of the break when you take him out for the day/weekend. A mate of mine was regularly taking his two year old away for the weekend in the rtt.
ours will be two in july. He loves wheels and tractors and unimogs and being outside etc. You'll love it!:thumbup:

No not sure I saw the pic. What did she do?

She fell over at Brownies, hit her head on the stage, cut just above her eye down to bone!!! Hit her teeth etc. Lots of blood and tears.

Was swollen and bruised for weeks.
That was at Brownies of all places!!!

Hi Ben,
About the lockers: on my 80, the locker itself was toast but also the loom which sits on the rear axles was partially melted and shorted out on some point. This caused an overload on one the relays in the diff lock ecu.
So I replaced the locker with a new one, pulled out the loom and repaired it and soldered a new relay in the ecu.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I have been thinking about replacing the locker with a pneumatic one. I think the best option is to use a spring return piston with a 3/2 monostable control valve.
image.jpg

Last edited:
What normally causes the need for a rewind?
Iirc your magnets dropped off the casing and stalled the motor. With power applied for any length of time and the motor static, only one coil would be getting full voltage for as long as it was applied. This could result in a burned out coil. I have to say yours look good but could still be detached from the commutator so worth a check. Also worth checking what voltage you’ve got at the loom underneath in each position. As Firewout has said, there can be knock on effects from a stalled actuator. Also test across the pins connected to the motor on ohms and see that you have a circuit. I don’t know what connections you have but if it’s just two then I would expect them to reverse the polarity for forwards and reverse. Get it working on a bench test rig first is the answer.

I used to bench test it with a 12V power supply and a wire bridge across 2 contacts in the diff lock connector, but I can't remember which 2.
but of course you already came across this :
upload_2018-3-29_9-16-53.png

This is what I would expect, a 12v circuit. At 1.5v the motor is far less likely to turn.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

I'm hoping to pull the front diff out this week to get the E locker installed. So while the diff is away getting that fitted I will remove the rear actuator and have another look. :icon-biggrin:

Another issue I thought of is when I changed the gearbox/transferbox the one I fitted didnt have as many plugs for the wiring loom on it so there are a couple of things that arnt connected and I dont have a LOW light illuminate on the dash when in low range and I know for the diff lock computer to send power to the actuator it needs to know the vehicle is in low range, so maybe thats why its not getting any power at the diff end. Something else I need to look at. :think:

Oh almost forgot.....................

Got home yesterday evening from the most amazing 4 day High Country trip I've ever had! :banana-blonde:

We covered 360km (216 miles) off road! We crossed dozens of rivers and climbed up and down some of the longest, steepest mountain tracks I've ever seen! :icon-twisted:

It was epic! :flags-australia:

I will get a trip report up when I get chance, but with over 400 pics to go through it may take a while. :shifty:

Oh and The 78 performed faultlessly, even with its open diffs! :clap:

when I changed the gearbox/transferbox the one I fitted didnt have as many plugs for the wiring loom on it
Bench test the motor Ben. That way you can eliminate the other possibilities. Wout’s diagram looks pretty good though it sounds like that’s what you’ve done anyway.

Last edited:
Back