Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 Windscreen Washer Jet Malfunction

Wills

Country Flag
great_britain
My washer jets stopped working properly up this afternoon.

The motor is still working fine and the washer fluid tank is full, but instead of the fluid spraying the windscreen, the fluid is flowing out under the bonnet at a hell of a rate, underneath the under-bonnet insulation.

Has this happened to anyone before? I think the tube must have popped off the jets on both sides, but I can't get to them because they are under all the insulation.

How do I remove the insulation without ruining it and the plastic clips that hold it on?

Many thanks :D

If you can pop the jets out then pull the tubes off them, I found it easy to ferret them back to the holes in the bonnet without removing the insulation.

You might need some coat hanger wire or similar.

Maybe a tube has popped off one of the jets or a non-return valve in the run.

Ideally you need a proper trim removal tool to remove those plastic clips without breaking them, I've used a claw hammer claw in the past, but it does still sometimes break them as they become quite brittle under there.

First try poking a needle gently into the jet encase its just blocked.

If they are still not working you should be able to see the washer fluid leaking down from behind the insulation if it is a loose or split hose.

I changed my jets for the triple jet Hi-lux ones which are much better.:icon-biggrin:

Thanks guys, the plastic splitter (Y connector) snapped off one side. It's a silly tiny problem but a really annoying one - the 78 picks up more bugs on the windscreen than any other car I've driven!

I cut a hole in the insulation earlier this evening on three sides as suggested at lindcomb - I'll replace the whole system as its all nasty and gummed up anyway and tape it up with some aluminium tape.

I'll see if I can get hold of some of those hilux triples, do they fit in the same slots?

Back