Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ79 newbie

malteser

Country Flag
malta
Hello guys :icon-biggrin:

After a lot of searching I managed to buy myself a Land Cruiser, specifically an LJ79. These are exactly like the LJ78 but instead of the 2.4 turbo (2L-T) they have a n/a 2.8ltr (3L).

20141129_161103.jpg20141130_154045.jpg

Modification plans:
1. Turbo kit from 2L-T engine
2. 2" Lift kit & 33" tyres
3. Homemade ARB style bumper
4. Homemade roof rack

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now... my first question... :lol:

What wheels fit properly on them vehicles with a 2" lift ? Such that the tyre (33 x 12.5) sits flush with the arch ?

I was looking at some 15" x 10" (-32 offset) modular steel rims, will they fit ? or will they hit the ball joint / calipers ?

Thanks,

David, Malta :icon-cool:

Well done Malteser! Great find. I have a 1991 lj70 which has a 3l hilux engine init with the 2lt turbo and manifolds etc. They are a great drive, the power if setup well is comparable to the 1kzt.
You will also need the oil cooler plate off the turbo engine. The part that the oil filter attaches to. It has the turbo oil feed on it.
Also the sump.... hope this helps iwan...:thumbup:

Thanks Iwan_t24 :icon-biggrin:

That is very precious information you've just given me! Cos tomorrow I am planning on buying all the parts for the turbo conversion. Why should I need the sump also ? Is it because of the oil return line ?

Can you confirm the following list is all the parts I need please;
1. Turbo
2. Exhaust Manifold
3. Turbo to inlet piping
4. Air box to turbo piping
5. Oil feed line + cooler adapter plate
6. Oil return line (& sump?)

And what sort of setup does it need for maximum power output please ?

There's quite a few things you need. .
The turbo diesel fuel pump as it has a vacume pipe on the top of it which has a diaphragm to give more fuel as the turbo works.
The 2lt turbo is water cooled so a provision for that. Do you fill the water through the radiator? Or the thermostat housing? IIRC they differ there and on the 2lt
The 1st section of exhaust could be a difference as you put it together.
With the oil return from the turbo it normally goes back through the lower side of the block, so you would need to make a good return back into the sump. Easiest place but a pig of a job!
Might be easier to find a duff hilux surf thats got all you need on it as theres a lot of bits and pieces to get the conversion done!
Hope the info helps.....:thumbup:

Hello from NZ.your wagon is a dead ringer for my 1993 land cruiser prado KZJ78 which was an import from Japan in 2001.they are an excellent vehicle.mine has the 1KZT engine and auto box.Good luck.Pat

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks great David! :clap:

Nice find. :thumbup:

Now... my first question... :lol:

What wheels fit properly on them vehicles with a 2" lift ? Such that the tyre (33 x 12.5) sits flush with the arch ?

I was looking at some 15" x 10" (-32 offset) modular steel rims, will they fit ? or will they hit the ball joint / calipers ?

Thanks,

David, Malta :icon-cool:

Yes they should fit with a 2" lift!

I've got 15 x 10J rims with a -32 off set and had tyres that measured 33.5" (worn 35's) and they fitted fine with just a 2" suspension lift. They should also come nicely to the edge of the fiberglass arches. :thumbup:

Thank you very much for your comments :icon-biggrin:

Currently waiting for an Ironman 2" lift and 33" BFG MT tyres... will post some photos when everything is installed!

Sooo... a little update :icon-biggrin:

Got around fitting the turbo, suspension kit & wheels... and some window tint :icon-cool:

The turbo made a hugeee difference! It's like I've put in a completely different engine! Very happy with how it's turning out :icon-biggrin:

This is how it currently looks...

20150208_160642.jpg
20150207_160023.jpg

I know this is an old conversation but I'm thinking of putting similar wheels on my KZJ78.
Wat rim size and Tyre size are u running?? I want them to be flush with the arches

Back