Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looks like a good idea....

Knucklehead

I was going to buy this BUT their shipping charges are more than twice as much as the item, $43 for the item $91 shipping, + any import duties it's just a couple of nuts for fecks sake. :icon-surprised:

Not a completely good idea as the new nut will not be tight on the thread and will wear the thread on the bearing tube. The nut will not turn but it will have up/down/sideways play. The old nuts lock solid and act like a shoulder for the inner bearings to stop.

There is an outlet for TG here in Spain and in the UK. I wanted some parts from either of them, the Spanish site was so full of pop up ads (have they not learnt anything yet?), so I went to the UK site, I could not find any TG products at all? Contact TG direct, THEY had no stock and suggested I use a US supplier and of course 'suck up' the duties various.......which the UK would not have to if we (you) were out of the EU.

regards

Dave

Not a completely good idea as the new nut will not be tight on the thread and will wear the thread on the bearing tube. The nut will not turn but it will have up/down/sideways play. The old nuts lock solid and act like a shoulder for the inner bearings to stop.

I cannot disagree with your thinking Frank but, I have come across this idea on other vehicles and they do not seem to suffer in a negative way so.........

regards

Dave

Dunno why, I can't get the link to work, comes up "error on run stack, unhandled exception" or some such gobbledygook.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Something weird going on Clive as just checked link and seems good although debatable if the idea is as good as I first thought!

Then again I'm a sucker for a new idea, went for the Longfield lifetime wiper seals when they first came out.
By the way, I reckon they are the dogs nuts but since Bobby Long passed on and they were taken over by Trial-Gear rumours are quality is not what is was.

Anyhow, back to the 80 disease...

Linky works now, curious....

Why depart from OEM? My old gal has had the bearings stripped out on several occasions, renewal and maintenance but there's never been any problem with the OEM parts, especially the nut.

Am I missing something?

Your'e not missing anything Clive. The OEM setup is a bit fiddly and the alternative 1 nut with a variable lock washer must be very quick. Dave has a point. Back in the days most cars with tapered roller wheel bearings just had a castellated nut with a split pin through leaving the nut locked against rotation but otherwise loose on the threads.

Your'e not missing anything Clive. The OEM setup is a bit fiddly and the alternative 1 nut with a variable lock washer must be very quick. Dave has a point. Back in the days most cars with tapered roller wheel bearings just had a castellated nut with a split pin through leaving the nut locked against rotation but otherwise loose on the threads.

Just serves to prove I don't do my own maintenance Frank :lol:

But surely most of the fiddle is getting the pre-load correct and locking it off to maintain that setting, which may well be improved by the kit on offer.

That bit I'm ashamed to say I wouldn't know... :oops::whistle:

The only 'drawback' with the twin nut OE setup is that tightening the locknut always seems to tighten the preload slightly on the 1st or adjusting nut despite the use of the washer. Once you know this though you can take this into account and get the preload spot on. Maybe severe offroading necessitates more frequent adjustment of wheel bearings where the adjustable locknut/washer would offer some advantage but, given the number of times I've had to adjust mine with just road use, the OE setup is more than adequate IMO.

When you tighten the outer nut it pushes the inner one further in due to the play in the thread thus slightly increasing the preload.

When you tighten the outer nut it pushes the inner one further in due to the play in the thread thus slightly increasing the preload.

Can imagine this, the trick being to rotate both equally toward each other to meet in the mid point of correct ajustment, I presume.

With the lock washer and nut on you can't get to the inner nut so the trick is to tighten the inner to just slightly less than the required preload setting, then fit the washer and tighten the locknut. Once you've done it a few times you get the feel and it's a one shot operation.

To be fair to Trial-Gear, they are aiming this at folk who still use their 80's offroad and looking at Mud, the US folk give them a good thrashing in fairly extreme conditions, hence more regular maintenance.

I also think it is commendable that there are still companies out thinking up new ideas for these old wagons.
Some ideas maybe better than others.

Dave.

Back