Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Low Emission Zone - London

FYI:
UK%20London.jpg

Dave Docwra said:
Guys, Have a look at this, it show's how far behind Europe we are http://www.lowemissionzones.eu/

It will be coming to a place near you soon...

Oh don't get me wrong I agree with the principles of LEZ. Its the way that the authorities have gone about it. This has been on the cards since 2008 and in all that time it has been ill-publicised to the extent of almost legislation through the back door. As I said its just over a month to go and no big advertisement of the pending scheme that will effect millions of motorists.

Also look at the size of the London LEZ compared to other European cities. 70 - 80% of Greater London is going to be effected by the scheme compared to cities like Amsterdam that only have approx 20% covered by their LEZ.

Also the fiasco with the DVLA having vehicle details wrong and the fact you have to go through so much stress to get your Surf, Landcruiser etc re-registered to the correct vehicle type. Not to mention that the DVLA are a law unto themselves and have no real governing body you can appeal to.

What many people forget is it also effects the recovery companies. I have already heard of 2 businesses winding up as they cant afford to replace their truck or pay the £5K to get the larger ones converted. Not to mention the increased insurance premium to cover possible theft of the DPFs. Without the recovery companies on hand London would grind to an almost instant stand still. This opinion is not mine but of senior traffic police officers a friend of mine recently spoke to.

If this scheme had been done properly it would have probably been welcomed with open arms my many more people than it currently is. I have friends who live in London (within the LEZ) that own Hilux' Pickups for private use. They don't even get a chance to change their vehicle type, as its a pick up and therefore classed as commercial, whether or not its a single or double cab. They don't even get dispensation or help to make it compliant.

Sorry I have to disagree with part of what you are saying, I do not understand why London has been singled out for the environmental reasons that have been given, this scheme should have been rolled out across the main cities of Britain or axed completely, it is ridiculous that less than one mile from me I can drive round in a non compliant vehicle but would only cause pollution by brining it to my home.

To be fair Recovery operators had four years to plan for the 2008 introduction & then a further three years for Euro 4 standards to be implemented next January, most recovery operators I know of in my surrounding area have been compliant for some time, the ones losing money on certain club recovery schemes will struggle, in 2003 when I sold my recovery business it was a factor in valuing my business as some of the fleet would not made the criteria for the first Euro standards & would have had to have been replaced, I am sure you know the cost of a heavy recovery unit.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't think Ecoman has a different viewpoint, and I think most of us agree that lower emissions in general is good for all. Yes, it's silly that London is singled out and the application of the scheme is ridiculous. My 80 NEVER goes near central London and I live 12 miles from central London. I do less than 5k miles p.a. so my emissions are pretty darn modest. We have a small run-around car for the school run and local shopping so it's not like my horrible big CO2 belching 80 is being inappropriately used in urban conditions.

But because of an admin oversight, my 80 cannot live outside my house from Jan 1 but the majority of 80s can? :doh:

Scott said:
Out of interest, what tax are you paying on the 80? £215? The reason I ask is that if they're saying your 80 is a commercial, then surely they would be charging you commercial rate tax, which I believe is currently £210. It could be another area where you could argue their miss classification of your car. .
Checked it this morning - yes, I pay £215. I'll try it on the DVLA but I don't know how strong a point the tax issue is :twisted:

Your car is an estate just like all other landcruisers with same chassis designation.

with that information and photos id ask them make the change. if they still refuse ask them to provide clear proof there claim your vehicle is different. they are public servants here to serve the public by there choice, not to dictate terms to you and i. they work for us. its their error and their fault.

good lucks

Any joy on this Andrew? Holds thumbs ...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

DVLA bigwigs have had a discussion and the message seems to be that they are going to do their best not to let anyone slip through the net. They won't admit it but they clearly want to force as many old vehicle soff the road as possible. And the motor manufacturers are understandably not overly upset by this either. My fall back is to go to my local DVLA testing station and demand a test to confirm why mine is not an estate (and hopefully take along another 80 that is registered as an estate). But the last message I got from the DVLA is they're not going to change reg details unless the manufacturer supports it and they're prepared to overrule local testing station findings :snooty: . I wouldn't have thought his would withstand legal challenge but I don't know who's going to go the legal route with them? Not me I guess...

BUT the big news is that after me sending some some rather nasty emails to Toyota, it looks like they may be prepared to assist me now - they've sent an email saying they will but I am waiting for the DVLA to reopen on Tuesday to see whether Toyota's support will swing the balance. :pray: Finger's crossed and watch this space... :mrgreen:

Well folks, a happy conclusion to wrap-up this thread ;) The DVLA are busy reclassifying my LC as I type this - the most bizarre thing is that I went onto the LEZ website (no, not that one :naughty: ) and used the vehicle checker to see whether the DVLA had done there magic and if so, if this had filtered through to TFL/LEZ records. Lo and behold my LC is now compliant :dance: The bizarre part is I then called my contact at the DVLA and she immediately apologised saying that she'd received all the documentation but hasn't had a chance to make the change on the system yet...

It seems that TFL maybe changed their criteria for the LEZ - I feel a bit silly for having having bust a gut chasing people to get my V5 changed when it appears that "it was just a mistake" that my 80 wasn't compliant. Backed up by a call to TFL to confirm that all is in order...

Anyway, if there is anyone out there struggling with this issue, drop me a PM and I can put you in touch with the people I've dealt with at Toyota GB and the DVLA.
:mrgreen:

Good News :thumbup:

What did they change it to on the log book, my log book came back a while ago with estate printed on it but the compliance checker is still saying "non compliant"

Joe

Hmm Joe :think: Sounds like our "issues" are the complete opposite. They will be changing the logbook to estate but I don't believe that they've actually made the change yet AFAIK. But the compliance checker is saying that it's compliant and I confirmed that with the TFL LEZ dept. Couldn't tell you what changed with the LEZ side of things and I bet they couldn't either. Chances are the LEZ reg system isn't connected very well with the [strike:3lewavzu]DEVIL[/strike:3lewavzu]DVLA system, so maybe worth giving the LEZ a buzz and seeing if they can update their system? My understanding is if you have an estate according to the V5 you are compliant period.

Apparently if you drive into the zone, they'll send you a warning letter and you then have 28 days' grace, whereafter they start imposing the fine of £100/day apparently. I believe the 28 day grace period is to allow peope who've been mis-classified or were unaware that they weren't compliant to sort themselves out (in other words for the TFL to spend a few million trying untangle their mess :whistle: )

Cheers,

Ok Cheers Andrew il give them a buzz.

I dont go into london much but as the low emission zone starts at dagenham it quite easy to end up in it.

Joe

Back