Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Low Loader / recovery vehicle needed

Sorry to hear of this Andy but cannot offer anything more. Hope things start working out for you.

My method of transport down to Milan, and my method of transport back!! And a video of my rather poorly landcruiser that I have had to leave there!!
A massive thank you to all those who have offered words of advice, support and encouragement, and especially to those who have offered practical help, you have restored my faith in human nature, there are a lot of good people out there.
Hopefully, thanks to a wonderful chap by the name of Guglielmo Meroni I have a solution, which has involved leaving the cruiser in Milan. Once I have sourced an engine, hopefully from Andrew Lomas I'll get it shipped to a 4x4 garage in Milan recommended by Guglielmo who will fit it for me. Now to start saving!!

DSCF9623.JPG
IMG_3601.jpg

Cant hear anything Wrong Moggy... Sounds just like My LC5... :lol:.... Glad you got a plan Tho..Good luck
Joking aside if your 120 is sounding anything like that Higgy you need new injectors coz they are worn out or you have very bad injector seal blowby and its blocking the sunp strainer and not letting enough oil through to the engine , next time you do a oil change when drained look through the sump plug drain hole with a torch and see if the wire mesh strainer has black carbon gunge on it and not allowing enough oil through , on worn out injectors they can and do crack the pistons in time and leaving the engine an almost right off .

Bad luck Higgy! That sounds like it could be a badly worn cam lobe. If so the LC could possibly be driven a few hundred miles although swarf might block the pickup strainer and cause more damage to the engine. That was a common noise in the 70's when the camshaft lobes were not chilled properly to harden them fully. Of course difficult with a video to say exactly what the noise is.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What did you think was wrong with the engine, rod knock maybe? I've heard them sound that bad with bad injectors/out of time fuel pumps as well. But I assume you know the truck well and that knock developed maybe over a short distance of time pointing more towards the insides of the engine

My method of transport down to Milan, and my method of transport back!! And a video of my rather poorly landcruiser that I have had to leave there!!
A massive thank you to all those who have offered words of advice, support and encouragement, and especially to those who have offered practical help, you have restored my faith in human nature, there are a lot of good people out there.
Hopefully, thanks to a wonderful chap by the name of Guglielmo Meroni I have a solution, which has involved leaving the cruiser in Milan. Once I have sourced an engine, hopefully from Andrew Lomas I'll get it shipped to a 4x4 garage in Milan recommended by Guglielmo who will fit it for me. Now to start saving!!

View attachment 159750 View attachment 159751

TBH it would have been more of a help if the filler cap had been off to see the blow by.
Although you say oil consumption was high, I would have eliminated any valve train issues first by checking the valve clearances.
Is there excessive oil type smoke from the exhaust?
If you swap the engine will we ever find out the issue?

Will be getting the engine out of storage this weekend all being well.

Last edited:
TBH it would have been more of a help if the filler cap had been off to see the blow by.
Although you say oil consumption was high, I would have eliminated any valve train issues first by checking the valve clearances.
Is there excessive oil type smoke from the exhaust?
If you swap the engine will we ever find out the issue?

Will be getting the engine out of storage this weekend all being well.
Yeh I posted on that a while ago when I first spoke to you about the problems with this engine. I didn’t get too into it this time because it is evidently shagged, the only question is how shagged!!
My plan is to bring the engine back and strip it. Will be an interesting educational exercise!

:lol:
This was last year

That patchy grass looks familiar Andy :think:

It was sounding grumbly I must admit, but it ploughed up the climbs on the Ridge Run OK, didn’t it :lol:

Maybe the engine running with the oil filler cap off might tell more about blow-by or worn valve guides.

Sounds like a combination of faults to me, not ruling out any of the suggestions.

I certainly wouldn’t want to drive it far, if you have any intention to repair it.

Best of luck with the recovery :thumbup:

:lol:

That patchy grass looks familiar Andy :think:

It was sounding grumbly I must admit, but it ploughed up the climbs on the Ridge Run OK, didn’t it :lol:

Maybe the engine running with the oil filler cap off might tell more about blow-by or worn valve guides.

Sounds like a combination of faults to me, not ruling out any of the suggestions.

I certainly wouldn’t want to drive it far, if you have any intention to repair it.

Best of luck with the recovery :thumbup:
It’s going to be a replacement engine courtesy of Andy, but I will strip this one to see what broke, partly to see if it can be fixed but also for my own education as I’ve never stripped an engine, beyond doing the head gasket, and I’d like to see what failed.

If it’s repairable, there’s a chap joined a few months ago wanted an engine for a 60 he had bought without. Might be a project for him once you’ve found the issue.

Got an email from the RAC today in response to my complaint.

they have admitted that they did tell me I had European breakdown cover when I took out the policy extension on the phone.

they have agreed to pay my recovery costs:banana-angel:

Got an email from the RAC today in response to my complaint.

they have admitted that they did tell me I had European breakdown cover when I took out the policy extension on the phone.

they have agreed to pay my recovery costs:banana-angel:

Yey, result :dance::dance::dance:

Never take no for an answer :thumbup:

The best thing about those calls being recorded... I managed the same with direct line on insurance 10 years ago. They said on the phone no charge for Europe, just let us know when you're going. So I did. All of a sudden a charge was mentioned... Nope, it wasn't there when I took out the policy. They listened back and I was right.

The best thing about those calls being recorded... I managed the same with direct line on insurance 10 years ago. They said on the phone no charge for Europe, just let us know when you're going. So I did. All of a sudden a charge was mentioned... Nope, it wasn't there when I took out the policy. They listened back and I was right.
Yeh its something I’ve learned working in the travel insurance business over the last few years.

What did you think was wrong with the engine, rod knock maybe? I've heard them sound that bad with bad injectors/out of time fuel pumps as well. But I assume you know the truck well and that knock developed maybe over a short distance of time pointing more towards the insides of the engine
My first thought was a Rod had gone, it did start suddenly 5km from our destination and was worse by the time we got there. It was a bit better when I did the video, presumably as the engine was cool.

Back