Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Main Headlights Electrical Issue

Richard10

Country Flag
australia
Hi All,
I have an electrical issue with my 93 Troopy which am hoping to get some help with involving the dash indicator light for the main headlights. Whilst I can actually turn the lights on, the blue light on the dash remains dormant. The problem is that I can't tell when my lights are on full or not. I mean, I don't mind blinding people but they don't like it so much :)

I think the contacts just need cleaning (he says, with no assurance whatsoever) however I can't seem to actually get access to it because of the steering wheel is in the way - any ideas?

Thanks muchly, Richard

20180519_180806.jpg 20180519_180810.jpg

Hi Richard,

Have you recently installed LED headlamps by any chance? I lost my Blue MB indicator light when I installed LED lamps and found a simple capacitor inline is needed to fool the Canbus on my 2001 '95 .

I didn't think mine would have Canbus and I really do wonder if your LC, will but I hope this may help.

Hi Talaman,
Oh that is very interesting. The guy I bought it from installed halogens which are lovely and bright vut that could well be it - I would be bloody surprised if my 93 had a CANBUS but will double check on the electric diagrams. If thats the case can you tell me more of what you did and how did it please?

Hi Richard,

Have you recently installed LED headlamps by any chance? I lost my Blue MB indicator light when I installed LED lamps and found a simple capacitor inline is needed to fool the Canbus on my 2001 '95 .

I didn't think mine would have Canbus and I really do wonder if your LC, will but I hope this may help.

Hi Richard,

Halogens will not affect Canbus.
If the main lights are working there’s almost certainly nothing wrong with the switch contacts.
Have you checked the bulb in your dash isn’t blown by replacing it with a known working one?

Rich

Hi Richard,
I agree 100% with Rich. Ditto what he said.

However, to answer your question to me, I simply went to my local auto electrician and he knocked up a SINGLE resistor and fitted it free of charge for me - nice guy! The link below is to an eBlag item that claims to do the job. Although my guy only made one and it works.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-H4-50...471923?hash=item441bc1f433:g:sWIAAOSw7UJa0b3k

Please do let us know how you get on.

Hmm, yeah i suppose so, good thinking! :) the thing is it used to flash intermittently between switching - kind of halfway point - so I know the bulb is ok. Or was a week ago, it has since stoped flashing intermittently ha ha although it could be the bulb, and I will have to check, I think its something else...could just be loose wiring going to the bulb I suppose...

Hi Richard,

Halogens will not affect Canbus.
If the main lights are working there’s almost certainly nothing wrong with the switch contacts.
Have you checked the bulb in your dash isn’t blown by replacing it with a known working one?

Rich

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
recently add additional lights or spotlights?......also need an additional resistor

Hmm, yeah i suppose so, good thinking! :) the thing is it used to flash intermittently between switching - kind of halfway point - so I know the bulb is ok. Or was a week ago, it has since stoped flashing intermittently ha ha although it could be the bulb, and I will have to check, I think its something else...could just be loose wiring going to the bulb I suppose...
I would say that there is the possibility of either a poor connection that’s got worse or a blown bulb that was touching intermittently and has now failed. Remove that bulb and put 12v across it to check, swapping for a known working bulb and testing both the bulb under suspicion and the good bulb in the socket for the headlights will tell you what’s going on. Either blown bulb as it won’t work in the known good socket or poor socket/circuit to the headlights dash light.

Ok, so I took out the screws at the front of the dash (facing the driver) but couldnt get the actual dash off - like its stuck towards the windscreen. Is there a catch there that Im missing? Feel like such a dumbass lol sorry!

The light has flickered on intermittently between switching states so can only guess its a wiring issue. If I can get to the bulb I will certainly try and measure the voltage across it and check the wiring end to end...

I would say that there is the possibility of either a poor connection that’s got worse or a blown bulb that was touching intermittently and has now failed. Remove that bulb and put 12v across it to check, swapping for a known working bulb and testing both the bulb under suspicion and the good bulb in the socket for the headlights will tell you what’s going on. Either blown bulb as it won’t work in the known good socket or poor socket/circuit to the headlights dash light.

Just swap bulbs before you try checking the wiring. It’s far easier.

Back