Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mental health emergency - please advise

Animal Mother

Country Flag
wales
I've been looking a Isuzu Troopers (3.0 DOHC) while I wait for the right 120 to come along. Do I need my bumps felt?

My experience with Isuzu KB series pickups is that Isuzu make very good engines and comfortable seats but are weak in the gearbox and front drive train area as a 4x4.

A mate bought one for a grand and then drove to the Western Sahara and back with zero issues apart from using a little oil. Suffered a bit with a lack of ground clearance in a few places

Apparently one of the engines is known to give head problems...

A mate bought one for a grand and then drove to the Western Sahara and back with zero issues apart from using a little oil. Suffered a bit with a lack of ground clearance in a few places

That's reassuring. You don't happen to know if it was the 3.1 or 3.0?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The guy I bought my Cruiser from had an Isuzu Bighorn. Had zero troubles with it until the torque converter went. Other than that, it was a very reliable truck.

Last time I dealt with a trooper was this..

a>

trailer1.jpg

To be fair the older 3.1 unit wasn't a bad vehicle - (that engine was used in a lot of Hitachi excavators) But the newer 3.0 is best avoided. Having driven that sick green one for a while they are not as big, or as tough, or as comfortable as a 90 series. They did sell in good numbers here, and lots of people have had good experiences though

I have read your referral letter and find this a most interesting case. While I appreciate that Isuzu Contemplatus is not unique, the treatment that I recommend is that whenever you feel a bout coming on, however frequently, just repeat, over and over until the feeling subsides, the following phrase,
"It is not a Land Cruiser".
I think this treatment should work as you have obviously recognised that such thoughts can be expensive and foolhardy and that in itself is a major step forward on your recovery path back to complete sanity.
Please be aware, although it is far more common with Land Rover Ownershipitis, that this can lead to full garage reclusiveness and an unexplainable desire to have one's head under the bonnet for far more time than is healthy.
If the above recommended cure does not seem to be working, we have a far more intense regime which involves photos and videos of Land Cruisers doing amazing things and empty workshops/garages with shiny, unused tools neatly arranged.

Regards,

Rodger

A good 3.1 should be bought for under a grand with a test and serve you well. You couldn't get a 90/95 for that and you're tying money up needed for the 120 purchase.
There was a few owners round here who really rated them but they were all the 3.1 engine.

This should help steer you on the correct path:
I'vehad both 3.1 and 3.0 l troopers. Several 3.1 s and one
3.0. Wouldn't toùch another 3.0 with a barge pole. Known for head problems injectors wiring loom engine management problems and turbos not to mention weak on the front drive system. Just look how many are spares repair or non running on eBay. A decent 3.1 though is not a bad tool at all. However. .... its not a cruiser.

I do wonder why you would want a 4x4 while you look for a 4wd ?

Last edited:
3.0. Wouldn't toùch another 3.0 with a barge pole. Known for head problems injectors wiring loom engine management problems and turbos not to mention weak on the front drive system. Just look how many are spares repair or non running on eBay. A decent 3.1 though is not a bad tool at all. However. .... its not a cruiser.
...it was only meant to inspire.....

How about this one instead?

I've had isuzu troopers, a 3.1 that got some serious abuse (did get broken a lot) and a 3.0.
The 3.0 is a good engine, yes it has its issues but all fixable, one problem is people don't understand them as the injection system is quirky.
Go well and drive nice. Get quite a few with the 3.0 swapped for the 3.1 engine

Would I buy another? Erm probably not unless it's been converted to a 3.1 lol.

Buy a landcruiser

Back