Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mental health emergency - please advise

I own an Isuzu Trooper (and Land Cruisers, and Land Rovers...) so let me chime in...

It's a 1994 model, 3.1 engine (4JG2).

I live in Africa, and have owned and operated all sorts of 4x4 over the years, from LRs to LCs to G Wagen, passing through Lada and Hilux and others in between.

I or my cars drive offroad (meaning no trails or whatever, out in the bush) 10,000 to 20,000 km per year, and the same on trails. We manage wildlife and hunt in areas that are remote even by African standards.

All this being said, that Trooper is the best 4x4 I have had the pleasure to drive in the field. Yes, better than my Cruisers. I currently own a 105, and my personal vehicle, the one I don't lend, is that old Trooper.

I lifted the body 2", but that would probably not have been necessary. I lifted the suspensions 2", this is a must if you go offroad. Easily done: the front suspensions are torsion bars, so they can be adjusted, and at the rear I installed Range Rover Classic springs, same spring rate but longer than Isuzu springs. Kept the stock shocks. Cost of the mod, $ 80.00 and some work.

These cars are strongly built, as well made as Toyotas. The Trooper looks smaller, but the inner door-to-door width is the same as an 80 series. The rear seat legroom is greater than on the LC, and the rear seats' back is adjustable, which makes for comfortable back seat rides. The boot is smaller than the LC.

The wheelbase is perfect for offroad duty, same as the Range Rover and Disco classics - shorter than that and you have bad cornering behaviour if you drive fast on dirt, longer and you get less agility around.

As fitted on mine, the suspensions are so comfortable on bad roads that the local Ironman rep, who was riding with me, asked me in amazement what I had done to them...

Now, the cons: the 3.0 (4JX1) diesel installed from 1998 onwards is a useless engine, plagued with problems. More power and torque than the 3.1, but once you start having issues you better throw it away. This means that either you get a 1997 or older model, or you look for a swap.

Last... Here at least, you can buy 3 Troopers for the price of one Land Cruiser of same vintage...

Last edited:
Last... Here at least, you can buy 3 Troopers for the price of one Land Cruiser of same vintage...

Just the same here, the 3.1 troopers are for nothing and very underrated. the problem is if you get a good one for under a grand you might just stick with it.

You can do quite a few mods to them if want to go that way

This is my old one that had 33's etc etc.
Went everywhere I pointed it, either under its own power or winch. Got some serious abuse.

2015-02-07 13.07.16.jpg

Got replaced by a 3.0

FB_IMG_1476628980109.jpg

Back