Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Migrating to the US - Dog Dilemma

We've Moved dogs from Johannesburg to Cape Town and from Cape Town to Edinburgh by air in crates without any issues - a little doggie Valium does wonders. Works on the dogs too :)

Biggest issues really was the 6 months quarantine here which stressed them out completely - you go visit and then leave them :(

I assume no quarantine there - if at all possible get a family member there ahead of time to meet the woofer at the goods terminal and get them into your car and back home to some of 'their' stuff that smells familiar.

I wouldn't go for a long sea voyage - the 10 - 12 hours flight isn't that big a deal - dogs are incredibly resilient ...

Good luck - just don't leave that member of your family behind!!

I've no experience with shipping dogs, but we had 2 cats which have been crated by air several times to keep the "family" together. The longest trip was the Middle East but even that was 12 hours in total with the transit stop included.

On the vet's advice they had "catty valium" and they were very dopey at the beginning of the journey and were still under the influence when they arrived.

We also had cage training for a month before we left. We got them sleeping in the cages voluntarily before the journey.

IMO, by sea would be ten-fold the trauma.

A bit of a update. My new leads is to look into shipping her by sea cargo. Some allow passengers but some don't allow pets. I'm in the process of searching for someone who works on any ships who I could get in touch with personally and arrange something.

If anyone knows anyone who works on a cargo or sea freight ship, please let me know. I would really appreciate it. I will make anyone who helps me out worth while, I am very desperate to get my puppy over safely and securely by all means possible.

We sent our beagle by plane - the only stressed one was my wife - the dog handled it like a champ. He doesn't like enclosed spaces, refuses to use a kennel etc, so surprised me when he calmed down after a few minutes in the crate!

We used to have an old dopey black lab, calm as a ?? err... calm thing, until we used to go on the IOW ferry. Then he got so stressed out! Lucky it was only a 40 minute crossing!

I am not sure if a sea crossing would be best as it takes ages if they are not happy. plane will only be upset for a day and if you crete train now they will get used to it.
stu

I am not sure if a sea crossing would be best as it takes ages if they are not happy. plane will only be upset for a day and if you crete train now they will get used to it.
stu

Most sea freight is around 6-10 days from the UK to US. And I understand that view on things, but I think she'll be a lot better 10 days on a ship with me then being alone for 12 hours.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back