Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mobile phone use in car

It's been a while since I actually used the phone to call someone. Is that still a thing ? :)

It's been a while since I actually used the phone to call someone. Is that still a thing ? :)
I was thinking of being contacted by someone rather than making a call, I can't remember the last time I actually had to use the phone to call out. If I have to make a call I will stop but that's difficult on a motorway so I wait for a service station. Another thing will CB use become illegal too?

The CB/2 way radio thing is a bit of a grey area. A blue tooth headset can be had for some radios, plus radio is used by many as part of there job, the emergency services, taxi’s etc

The key difference is whether or not the item has a screen afaik. I don’t see how they would police it anyway. How many times a day do you see someone on their mobile holding it to their ear?

It’s nice and easy for politicians in chauffeur driven vehicles to decide that others cannot use their phones when they can use whatever they like in the back. Could this be more virtue signalling perhaps?

On the radio news this morning they included sat nav as well

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Now they are talking about banning hands free phone use in car!! :angry-screaming: What next, a ban on talking to your passenger? there's not much difference in talking to a microphone in the car as talking to a person sitting beside you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49320...]-20190813-[a+committee+of+MPs+has+suggested]

The difference is that in theory your passenger stops talking to you as they notice the kiddywink wandering out in front of you and you are thinking about slowing down. The person on the phone doesn't.

I'd like to see some data to support ban. I've seen death and injury while using a phone, but not a breakdown of those holding the phone and those using hands free.

The difference is that in theory your passenger stops talking to you
You haven't met my wife then? and why would the person not driving the car notice those sort of occurances in the first place.
No I think the whole idea will die a death as the outcry against bull bars did, and the SatNav ban is a non starter, they will never be banned how on earth could that be policed?

Satnavs aid safety by removing (hopefully) doubt about navigation.
I really can’t see why this is the main issue when the cars I am seeing being sold now have all the functions in a single screen which is very distracting, whilst also introducing more and more distractions for the driver. The latest Tesla is just ridiculous.
Anyway, as we are all going to be expected to have driverless cars soon it’s all pretty academic isn’t it?!

I understand that sat-navs are already illegal in many countries.

The law in the uk ATM seems to focus on hand held devices, and in that regard it makes sense to me.

A screen, for a sat-nav is no more distracting than looking in a driving mirror, IMO, it’s a source of information which you process at a glance, just as is looking through the various zones of the windscreen.

I rarely make calls from my hands free, but I do receive them. I see no harm in this and put it on a level with having audio ICE.

The article talked about phone calls creating a mental image that somehow override real time images vital for road safety. Sorry, this sounds like total bollix to me. Are we to stop thinking altogether when driving?

Music creates mental images, and conversations between driver and passengers or even between passengers can be considered equally as distracting.

The world is going mad, accidents are generally caused by driver error, the responsibility should be with the driver, and so the offence should focus on that, not a piece of legislation about who you’re allowed to talk to or listen to whilst driving.

“He was listening to the Archers on radio 4 when the crash happened, that must have caused him to lose control on that bend...”.

Sorry, idiot driving causes most accidents IMO, including the few that I have had, not paying attention to the road, for whatever reason, phone or no phone.

I did have to have words with someone at work because she was using her phone all the time whilst driving. It was in a cradle and she was using earphones and a Mike which she said meant it was hands free, which I would dispute, but either way her already poor driving became considerably worse when she was using the phone.

I did have to have words with someone at work because she was using her phone all the time whilst driving. It was in a cradle and she was using earphones and a Mike which she said meant it was hands free, which I would dispute, but either way her already poor driving became considerably worse when she was using the phone.

I don’t think wired connections, mic and ear buds, counts as hands free either practically or at law. Mine is a Bluetooth connection through the ICE on speaker.

Why folks still insist on a phone at their ear while driving, beats me, and sadly, there’s plenty of them here...

I don’t think wired connections, mic and ear buds, counts as hands free either practically or at law. Mine is a Bluetooth connection through the ICE on speaker.

Why folks still insist on a phone at their ear while driving, beats me, and sadly, there’s plenty of them here...
On the day I challenged her about it I offered to do the first driving stint down to the tunnel but she wanted to do it, so if she needed to make phone calls why not let me drive or wait until we get to the tunnel? It was ridiculous!

Back