Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Internet car hacking!!!!

Towpack

Garage
Country Flag
england
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33650491

WTF!! There was a duscussion about this on Radio 2 the other day. They had a hacking/security expert on who said it was possible to hack into the vehicles ECU via the mobile phone if it's connected to the audio system or even by a signal to the DAB radio on some modern vehicles with a 'datatainment' system where all the electronics, sound system, sat nav, engine and ancillary control etc are all connected to and managed by the computer or ECU!! Another tick in the box for old fashioned diesel LC's then.:thumbup:

I thought the same thing. Are the makers able to up date the cars software over the internet without the owner realising?

If they are Frank then they could also introduce bogus faults.

I saw a magazine article somewhere that certain manufacturers were planning on having their cars down load updates automatically when not in use via a wifi connection, most likely the owners home internet.
All I can say is I am pleased the only time my vehicle has wifi is when I have a laptop in it ;)

I thought the same thing. Are the makers able to up date the cars software over the internet without the owner realising?

Some can and do it all the time;

this is big news now, down to how much of theinterconnect in the cars is going through a single endpoint ( or bridged over ) - but hacks into vehicle electronics have been possible going back atleast 10 years ( which is the first time I saw this done at defcon 11 ( this was back in 2003 ).

What also does not help is that the Automotive IT industry is typically using today tech that was mainstream 5 - 6 years back, and adding their "innovations" on top, which means folks out for the bad news have had a pretty good run ( thanks to others... ) at documenting and analysing what is coming through. In 5 years time, this tech is going to be 10 - 11 years out of whack, well documented for exploits and largely un-maintained by the vendor. This is a big deal, even when none of this code is used/exposed to the user or used in any 'production' role in the vehicle, since its always these dependencies and lower level functions that get exploited, rarely is it the interface or the code the automotive company wrote themselves.

The bigger issue here, i feel anyway, is that this is just an example of exceptionally poor engineering, non-regulated and with no real audit process.

Now, think about all those big investigative reporting / scanning equipment sitting with the NHS... what are those running ?

- KB

I know my old golf had its software updated over the 'net 5 years ago but the car had to go to the garage. All this @king computer stuff is getting way out of hand and most users don't understand how it works so could be innocently @king peoples cars up. I hope someone tries to hack my 80. There's so much heavy duty copper in it it'll burn their main frame out :icon-biggrin:.

Good point about introducing bogus faults. A main dealer might do that and defo a rogue trader. I don't trust anyone these days, not even our superiors in the House of Lords.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I challenge them to hack my cruiser, that thing doesn't even have a clock on the dash!

Wifi is an option for Mrs Wobbly on her Disco Sport, not sure tbh, need to give it some thought.

Another password and username to remember......

Back