Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mods , Rockers and media

Shayne

Guru
No reason for posting really i just found it thought provoking given the current political climate in Britain

As Max Boyce used to say "I was There" :dance:.

I started on two wheels on a small Italian scooter - a Capri 80 (with a Garelli engine). and used it for getting to College and then to work. But the bug had bit and I started going further afield on it - slowly.

I was, and still am, a great 'Blues' fan but soon moved on to proper motorcycles. I therefore fell between both camps.

I never really understood the so-called animosity between scooter riders and motorcyclists. we were just two sides of the same coin. Youngsters stretching their wings and seeing a bit of the world. I went for 'Touring' bikes with fairings and panniers and rode all over Britain and occasionally to the Continent.

One day I was cruising across Salisbury Plain on my 1,000 cc Ariel (at my usual 85 - 90 :whistle:) when I saw a couple pushing a Vespa. He was in a sharp suit, the girl in a pink dress. This was no place to break down.

I pulled into a lay-by and ran back to help - they were terrified as this 6'2" 'Rocker' (in their eyes) came towards them. We pushed the white Vespa 180 to the lay-by and I cleaned the plug. They had no tools, I had a pannier full. I gave them a spare plug spanner and a wire brush and showed them what to do if it happened again.

They set off while I put the tools away and I passed them shortly afterwards - and gave them a wave. They were going to a 'Gig' in Amesbury, I hope they got there and back safely.

Today, Bike Clubs are full of guys in their 70s still hankering after the bikes they had - or wished they could afford - in the 60s. There aren't many youngsters in Bike Clubs unless they are Competition Clubs - Trials, Moto-Cross or Road Racing. And we still can't afford the bikes we wanted back then as they have become 'Investments' !

I was once offered a Vincent 'Rapide' for £55 - couldn't afford it. Today the same bike is £60,000 - can't afford it :doh:.

Nothing changes.

Time to put an Eric Clapton CD on :thumbup:.

Bob.

If you watch the vid the Mod V Rocker clashes , reported worldwide , only actually happened in the media's imagination . But of course that sparked animosity . As i said thought provoking on so many levels , kids had money which sparked a revolution of sorts , changed the course of history anyway , brought about a boom forcing manufacturers to adapt , expand , train people to keep up with demand . Fat chance of that ever happening again when a constant reliable minimum wage which just about covers living costs is but a dream for most .

I remember a judge wistfully responding to an advocates plea

"its so out of character , its his first offense , he had never been drunk before , surely you can understand the temptation of taking a Harley Davidson for a ride even without the owners consent"

The judge stared at his desk for what seemed to long (a trip down memory lane perhaps) before replying "its not a Vincent but yes point taken" . The accused got off lightly .

Wasn't me by the way ........ i was up next and i can't even remember what for :confusion-shrug:

No reason for posting really i just found it thought provoking given the current political climate in Britain

Thanks Shayne, I just watched that from beginning to end.
Oh my, those were the days, I started off as a rocker but when Lambretta brought out the GT 200 I was hooked, it was advertised as having the acceleration of an E Type, boy they were fast I remember being chased by three rockers and they couldn't keep up with the Lambo.
The Mod/Rocker fiasco was just the media wanting a story, they would report that a battle was going to take place in a certain seaside town and of course it did.
I belonged to a youth club in Slough which unusually catered for both sides and we got along very peacefully, never actually mingled but tolerated each other.
The 60's, best time for teenagers that was.

Last edited:
Back