Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 80

A little update on the 80, miles are racking up now, 90k!!
Must be time to sell it and get something newer lol.

20191028_123007.jpg

Supported various events with response, cancer research midnight walk and York marathon

Pic doesn't show it but inside my reverse lights and rear window are amber flashing lights, fronts are in the side lamps and grille.

20191018_210554.jpg

The line up at the marathon
20191020_165831.jpg

Lots of landys as you'd expect but the 80 worked hard all day.

We were supposed to go camping the weekend just passed but a back injury has stopped that for me!

The boot is partly stripped and will be getting changed around to move the fridge but again back issues have stopped play currently.

I'm at the point of a large roof box, a trailer or re design my boot and how I have that, starting with the boot and see how it goes. Fridge at the bottom and lose a drawer, raise the top of the drawers but build a full covering false floor.

Little update with the 80 and its adventures, not much has changed and still need to refit the boot.

Start of the year we had some pretty major flooding, 80 was in use with Yorkshire 4x4 response doing various duties, manning road closures and even assisting residents get to/from their homes after the road was cut off, we were there for a week 7am till 10pm in shifts.

80 did the late shifts after I'd finished work.
20200223_191041.jpg

At the same time the area of Snaith was badly flooded and we were there helping out. Didn't get photos with the 80 in as too much going on.
This is what we were dealing with alongside multiple agencies!!
20200229_212528.jpg

Well few weeks before the covid pandemic started we got away in the Dales for dads and kids weekend, with all the recent floods, rain and more rain we opted out of tents and booked a camping bunk house.

20200314_091138.jpg

One of the other lads inspired by all of our adventures bought a landy!! So we went out for some lanes, his first time so a steady day.
20200314_105322.jpg

20200314_125516.jpg

We found a bit of snow so the kids had a play

20200314_125448.jpg

Did some more lanes then met up with everyone else back at the bunk house
20200314_221838.jpg

Had my helper give the 80 a wash.
20200322_161851.jpg

Little update on the 80 as some changes happening. Built the drawers 5 years ago and added a fridge 3 years ago.
Well I'm done with reaching up and need to make the space more usable for camping trips,
Before
20200602_182155.jpg

Stripped down, need to relocate the air compressor, aux fuse box, wiring etc to behind the remaining drawer frame
20200615_193812.jpg

Loosely put together to check fitment
20200615_202206.jpg

20200615_202234.jpg

Have kept an area behind so can still store the high lift plus camping table, chairs etc.
20200616_205412.jpg

It's made a good size space underneath which will be made to store tools and most items that lived in the drawer I've removed. The cargo guard will be getting cut and mounted to the top to allow this space to be used.

Spent a couple of hours last 2 days after work so far, re used the top and only roughly put together so far. Will add some vent holes at the back and carpet it all.
Need to make some brackets to secure and modify the fridge slide a bit.

Happy so far

Gary can I ask where you got the dog guard from please and could you not put a half sized draw to level up or do you want the useable space as it is

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
looks good. What is the alu. metal casing from?

Gary can I ask where you got the dog guard from please and could you not put a half sized draw to level up or do you want the useable space as it is

The dog guard was a scrap bin special at work from a BMW.
I thought about a half size drawer but by the time got the frame etc in the depth was about 150mm so seemed pointless, more useable having it this way for camping gear etc.

looks good. What is the alu. metal casing from?

Its electrical cable tray, galvanised steel.

Managed to get a bit more time in the garage, a few edges to tidy up and some vent holes for the fridge enclosure to drill, will add some extra tie down points up top. Fridge slide now mounted to the original frame I bolted to the floor so nice and secure.
Dog guard needs a bracket welding on to mount on top of the deck.

Got the storage cubby made behind the fridge. Most of the tools etc fit in there nicely too.
A bonus I've eventually found a home for the wooden extension for the fold down table, now can live next to the fridge using the right side fitment bracket it came with.

20200621_205041.jpg

20200621_194715.jpg

Air compressor re located, fuse box relocated. Need to extend wiring to the rear 12v sockets and order some carpet.

Got the boot re fit done eventually,
20200706_195351.jpg

Down to one drawer but have gained storage space as can use above the fridge now

20200706_195429.jpg

Between the cubby I've made plus re organising the 2 storage bits in the stock side panels, all the stuff from the old drawer has a home. It's tools and such things so not items I need often.
Cargo barrier back in after cutting it down, have drilled some vent holes in the fridge enclosure, there's some in the side too.
20200706_194101.jpg

The extension for the fold down table now has a home, it's always been an awkward thing to store. It's designed to live in the table but it hits the fog lamp.
20200706_195923.jpg

Just slides out, came with a right side fitment bracket so just used that
20200706_195929.jpg

I think it would have been easier to start from scratch but recycled a lot of the original.

Had a bit of carpet left so have made a mat to sit on the lower level, it's the area that will get the most day to day use.

Looks great Gary.

Where did you get your cargo Guard from?

Looks great Gary.

Where did you get your cargo Guard from?

Cheers, its a BMW one. It was a scrap bin find at work years ago. Brackets got modified to fit and now been modified again.

Rolled onto 92k miles now!
20200816_151159.jpg

Those miles are racking up.

Had to add a second silencer to the exhaust, since changing the cat converters its got too loud, sounded great but too loud. No pics yet as only got it clamped in this eve, will weld it when got the adjustment right. It's a tight fit in the rock slider and over the chassis, takes a bit of tweaking to stop it knocking when change anything.

Has a more reasonable level of noise now!!

Not the prettiest of jobs and will need welding in place but does the job, £43 from e bay. A massive improvement and no drone at speed

20200822_142226.jpg

Found the leak too, down pipe has moved so new gasket fitted, re aligned and all sorted.

Nice Job there Gary.

I remember when getting the stainless exhaust made and fitted for mine. I was given two recordings of the exhaust tone with one or two silencers. I went with the two for a quite sound and avoiding drone on the highway. Never looked back tbh

Had the exhaust done a while and was fine with 1 silencer, changed to 200 cell cat converters last year and it's been too loud.
Cold start was ridiculous, 1500 to 2000rpm was a sweet spot so motorway speed it just droned.
Coming home sometimes in the early hours from 4x4 response duties was going to get complaints!!

Had a meet up in the peaks with a few friends, bit of laning. I planned the routes for 2 days but could only join for 1 day.
Was good to catch up with people and get out on some lanes.

Day 1 was a 90 mile route and 60 miles for day 2.

80 did me proud as always, exhaust didn't drive me crazy which was a result. Few new scratches to add to the collection.
Good test for the new boot set up too, few creaks and some adjustments to make but all good.

20200829_134351.jpg

20200829_134401.jpg

20200829_110451.jpg

20200829_134344.jpg

Our little group
20200829_150144.jpg

20200829_150151.jpg

As much as I planned the routes I didn't lead, I had sent the routes to the others as I wasn't doing both days, I kept an eye on it to make sure no issues.

Convoy got split a couple of times but no issues having to wait on a road side, everyone has the route displayed, think it's the way forward.
20200829_145619.jpg

First outing for the v8 jeep and it did fine. About time one of group had a vehicle who can keep up with me
20200829_145633.jpg

received_309441940388625.jpeg

Few taken from behind me
received_318506016126601.jpeg

received_645015456417591.jpeg

received_317950752774888.jpeg

Across both days there was about 45 lanes! Came across a lot of friendly walkers which was good.

Hi Gary,
Your truck is enviably clean and shiny and reflects the just-run-in 92 k miles on it... The way you keep it always amazes me.
I‘m not so fortunate with 450k km racked up, but I’ve just removed the plastic wrap I put on it after a respray some 6 years ago, and for the time being the paint on mine is now shiny too :lol: .
Its going into the welding shop again this year I hope, to get the back end of the sills repaired where they join the rear arches. It’s looking bad there, and it may be the last welding it has before I have to give up chasing the dreaded tin-worm :icon-cry:

Both front and rear ARB bars need to come off again and go through a second refurb process, they are heavily rusting from the inside out, this powder coat isn’t what it’s cracked up to be, not on my bumpers anyway.

Love your truck mate, keep up the good work on it and the thread updates, it’s great to see you enjoying it so much. :thumbup:

@clivehorridge thank you, it takes a bit of keeping clean and has its fair share of scratches, a good coat of polish and wax doesn't hide it's scars but protects the paintwork.
I've got a bit to sort at the back of the sill but will catch it before becomes an issue, the other side had to be plated where I'd damaged it and not realised!

Sounds like the wrap has done it's job protecting the paint.

Can you get them electro plated before powder coat? Problem with powder coat I've found is one bit of damage and it lets water In. My rock sliders peeled quite a lot so just painted them now.

Planning a coast to coast trip next year now with the same group but probably not with the bikes, good few days of lanes and camping away from it all, we've laned and off roaded together for about 15 years so a trusted group.

Back