1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new overland project

Olazz Sep 6, 2017

1. Dave_S

Dave_S Well-Known Member

Map
    Yup! TBH, even on my little Sprinter 4x4 build, the planning and sourcing took waaaaaay longer than the actual build. Its easy to burn money on this stuff by doing things more than once.

2. Olazz

Olazz Well-Known Member I am in zimbabwe

Map
    So have now completed the initial drawings for the 24v electrics. I haven't decided whether to stick with gel batteries (and the huge weight issue) or go for Li ion (cost :wtf:) but almost 100kg weight saving. If anyone know of a discounted supplier of Li ion batteries, please shout. Solar panels will be upgraded to 4x 190w to cope with European and Alaskan winters.

fullsizeoutput_7.jpeg

3. grantw

grantw Well-Known Member Supporter

Map
    I've been contemplating these for my camp trailer - not sure if it falls inline of discounted supplier or not.

https://www.ev-power.eu/Winston-40A...t-with-200Ah-cells-BMS-mobile-monitoring.html

The winston cells don't seem to get too much negative press in the past few years but I have read negative ones from 5plus years ago.

If you want a very DIY solution that would give you at least 800ah (5.6 KWh) equivalent of the AGM batteries you could have a tesla module and wire a BMS into it. Conveniently they are at the 24volt mark too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tesla-Mod...:Tesla&hash=item1c931d4bc7:g:CoYAAOSwvjdZURui

Olazz likes this.
  4. GeekOKent

GeekOKent Well-Known Member Supporter I am in uk

Map
    At what point does it become better to go down the generator route ?

5. Olazz

Map
    Grant:
    That looks like very usefull information indeed, much obliged !.

Geek:
    There are several problems with sole reliance on a genset.: Size; a suitable genny needs to be at least 6kw. Weight; very vey heavy. Noise; unlike a boat, there is no undewater silencing so is a real irritation. No redundancy; what if the geset fails? I am intending to carry a portable honda 2kw petrol as a backup emegrency.
    The system above will produce sufficient power to run aircon 5hrs max. The heating will be diesel dry air and a separate Hydronic water system. Cooking will probably be an LPG afair (although I really would like to avoid having any gas on board). To power an electric hob etc I'd need to ramp up the power and inverter considerably and that just adds significantly to the complexity and the cost. The system as is, based on initial draw of all appliances from fridges to laptop charging, should allow me to remain offgrid and self sufficient for up to 2 weeks without having to move. As it's unlikely we'll ever stop for that length of time in one spot without moving, its a moot point.

GeekOKent, nick_the_fish and grantw like this.
  6. Dave_S

Dave_S Well-Known Member

Map
    Have you considered diesel hob/oven? They are expensive, but at least you can use a common fuel supply.

7. Olazz

Map
    Dave I've tried diesel fuelled stoves before. They are dirty and not particularly reliable, particularly at altitude. I really don't want to have to carry spares and to rejet/clean the darn thing before use. Anything thing that I have to move to "get at", fix before each use, adjust/repair/stretch/brace or bodge, is an absolute non starter. Had enough laughable overlanding experiences to demand simple, quick, & effective solutions.
    If I arrive and can't be fully set up in 5 minutes, then I don't want it.

Table out, chairs out, beers in hand. Gas on - flame - cook !

Dave_S and Chas like this.
  8. Dave_S

Dave_S Well-Known Member

Map
    Cant argue with that! TBH I still use a wee portable gas stove most of the time for that very reason... sounds like you've already surpassed my limited experience, mate.

Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter