Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My overlander 80 series

Leopard

Country Flag
uk
Hi All

I've been on the forum for a while, following various events and builds. This is a great forum and already learning a lot.
Realised that I never officially introduced myself, so thought I would do so by starting my own build thread for my 80 series! :)

My name is Nigel Ivy. I was born in Harare, Zimbabwe and moved to the UK in early 2003. My family have always been big on adventuring/offroading/outdoors, etc.. having come from a heritage of my grandparents on my mothers side starting a sawmill in the DRC before the trouble started there and having to flee with what they could load into their vehicle and travelling for over a year around southern Africa and my grandparents on my fathers side running a cattle farm in a remote part of Northern South Africa.
As a kid, my parents had a series 3 landy in Zim that was kitted out nicely and we did a lot of overlanding into very remote places in southern Africa from Zim. We always loved being off the beaten track and took that landy to some places you wouldn't want it to break down (crazy thing to do in a landy, I know! :lol: )

I've recently purchased (in June 2012) an already kitted 1991 80 series Cruiser from Oakleigh Garage. It came with a Hannibal roof tent, Engel, battery and split charging system, water system with filter and 12v pump, 2" lift and TMJ suspension, high-lift jack mounts of the chassis, High-Lift jack, 6 steel wheels with BFG AT tyres on, Patriot rack, sand ladders, spotties, 4 jerry cans for Diesel, 4 jerry cans for water.

Here are some photos of my 80:
NIGELIVY_20120624_3076.jpg
NIGELIVY_20120624_3075.jpg
NIGELIVY_20120624_3078.jpg
NIGELIVY_20120624_3079.jpg
NIGELIVY_20120624_3080.jpg
NIGELIVY_20120624_3081.jpg
NIGELIVY_20120624_3082.jpg
NIGELIVY_20120624_3087.jpg
NIGELIVY_20120624_3085.jpg

The truck is a Jap import - came into the UK in 2007. The conversion was done by OEC International. Like with any conversion you don't do yourself, there's a lot I will probably change and a lot I'll keep the same. At the moment we're using her as is to see what works and what doesn't. Not having the full back seat is not a problem for us as it's just the two of us at this stage.

When I started looking for a cruiser, I wasn't actually looking for a truck that had already been converted, I actually wanted to do it all myself, but when this truck came up at the price it had for the milage and the gear that came with it, I couldn't turn it down. Sure, aesthetically she has a lot to be desired, but mechanically she's sound with only 195,000km (115,000mi) on the clock. Engine is clean and no issues since I bought her in June. Already put 6,000mi on her since then.

Planned mods still to come:

• New suspension - want to lift at least another 2", plus I don't think OEC put hard enough suspension for the weight on the back as it's starting to sag a bit
  • Winch bumper
  • Winch
  • Mud tyres for UK trips :)
  • Long range fuel tank

Looking forward to sharing our adventures with you all...

Welcome Nigel

Saw the truck when it was on the bay. Glad your happy with it and look forward to seeing some trips.

Welcome Nigel. :icon-smile:

I like your truck and look forward to seeing what you do to it. :thumbup:

Any plans for any big trips in it? :think:

:text-welcomeconfet:

Nice truck, pics and post. It sounds reliable enough.

I'll be interested to see what changes you make to the rig and its contents. :thumbup:

Welcome Nigel....Ah another also from Zim.. that makes 3 of us inc Gary Stockton. Gary hasn't got a proper truck yet though:whistle:

Looking forward to reading about your exploits.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice truck you have there.
Sounds like your parents had some great times out with the old Land Rover.

Gra.

Make sure you get the big end bearings changed out if you have not already done so or had proof they have been done.

nicely set up truck.

I would have thought they had been done Adrian with it being a overlander. If not though Nigel I stock the Acl bebs.

Cheers karl

Back