Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New 40 series owner in Essex

fargo6910

Country Flag
uk
Hi folks,

I'm Denis, a proud owned of a 1984 BJ42 LX, just looking to say hello and was wondering are there many 40 series owners in Essex , or around the UK for that matter?

It's in good shape but with about 4 rust spots that I would like to put right but I got a quote recently fo the best part of 3k , so that might have to wait.
I don't do a lot with it at the moment apart from Sunday driving and turning heads, but I would like to improve its already good condition while preserving its originality within reason, as I am conscious of the LX's rarity. Anyway, that's my intro...check out the pictures, I recently picked up some nice chrome wheels on eBay

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Wow what a beautiful 40. hope you enjoy it.

Stu

Very nice indeed, that will have lots of people drooling, me included

Hi and welcome good looking cruiser love the old 40 I have a fJ45 and fj40 with Hj60 engines in them and love them r a lot of fun thanks for the pics have fun with it from Tony.

Hi Denis,
Very nice truck.
You mentioned some rust spots... Looks to me from the photos like the front valence and the rear panel/cross member.
The front valance has an inner support that traps mud, etc between the panel frame and the valance. If you take off the panel - 4 bolts each side plus the two visible bottom support the panel slides out. Clean out and dry, repair the front (I used lead on mine but you could use filler unless you plan to off-road in deep water) then POR15 paste between the support and the back of the repaired panel so that it is full and sealed.
The rear panel is potentially more awkward: Behind the body panel is a body cross member and the mud gets between the two. If you are lucky (judging from the photos you may well be so) the body cross member will be savable - if so do the POR15 paste treatment again, having sorted the body panel.
I am not surprised at thy quote you have had as most body shops will shy away from this sort of work but you maybe be better talking with a restoration shop.
POR15 Paste is available from Frosts.
If you want to see how bad it can get and still be recoverable see 'Evolution of my 40' thread on here.
Any help I can be, just ask.

Regards,

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Lovely looking truck! How bad is the rust for a 3k quote???

Looks to me more like a scammer. he has a lot of cars for sale all with the email address to contact.

At first i thought it was too good to be true, must be worth more than that. Fired off an email to the seller (then i googled the email addy, which led back to some other ebay adverts) but they have no feedback. I googled the reg and found this forum and the pictures on it. the ebayer said he owned it 3 years which doesn't match the o/p's thread. hence me asking here. looks like the photos may have been borrowed!

It has also been listed twice today, both have now disappeared! I will ask searching questions of they email me back!

It turns out i may have jumped to conclusions a bit too quickly. It unfortunately is for sale due to bereavement. I am now entering negotiations to give it a good home.

Hi James

I really do hope its genuine for you.

I emailed him too last night and this is the response i got:

Hi, Thank you for the interest shown. I am sorry for the late reply. The car is still for sale and it's stored inside up north in Inverness, Scotland; In good condition with no rust or dents. All paperwork present in my name. It belonged to my father who unfortunately passed away 3 months ago and the car has been in storage since then. I will let it go for £4650 including delivery to your home address. Please see photos attached.

See below some info on the car:

Toyota Land Cruiser BJ42 LX (1984) - Very rare. Superb, original example.

I bought this car about 3 years ago, but have since moved house and don't currently have a garage. So time to move on.

This was the last model of the iconic 40 series LandCruisers to be produced (1984, B-reg). The LX had the 3.4 litre 3B engine, air conditioning, three windscreen wipers, rear slider windows, cloth upholstery and forward facing rear seats.

This example was imported from Australia several years ago so is relatively rust free and right hand drive. So far as I know, it is in unmolested, original specification (no body-lift or suspension changes etc). Possibly apart from the white wheels and body stripes.

Odometer showing 330,200 kms (205,180 miles). Speedo displays in km/h

Extremely good overall condition. There is some rust on the body in the usual places and it has been re-sprayed at some stage (years ago), in the original green colour. But some minor bodywork would bring this vehicle back to excellent overall condition. The chassis is solid and rust free. Waxoyled about 12 months ago.

Starts first time and drives well
Four wheel drive system all working
Two sets of keys
Original stripey cloth seats (one head rest missing), all in good order. No rips.
New set of General Super All Grip tyres (original size 7.50 R16), which look right. Hardly used.
New battery
12 Months MOT (to 6 August 2019)
6 months tax (to 1 Feb 2018)

Less good bits...

Clutch master cylinder leaks a little, but still works fine.
The air conditioning no longer works. But I do have the radiator if someone wanted to reinstate this.
One or two minor scratches and dings, consistent with age
Some rust on the back tub and radiator grill as shown in the photos
Front floor mats a bit worn on driver's side

This 40 series is a great runner and would make a nice rolling restoration project or just drive as it is with all it's signs of age. These are nothing like modern Land Cruisers. They are very heavy duty, utility vehicles with stiff, leaf spring suspension. More like a tractor than a luxury 4x4. But that just adds to the character.

Let me know if you are still interested

Cheers,
Stephen John

Something doesnt ring true for me and its way too cheap. Im Guessing if i reply back eventually he will ask me to pay money upfront before viewing the landcruiser to some bank account.

But i do hope its not for your sake.

Its in Inverness, which is a loooong way for most. Funny he is offering to deliver anywhere for a set price! He sent the exact same email to me (he also did send lots of extra pictures, which put me at ease a bit) I have told him i would prefer to drive the 9 hours up to hand over the cash. Tbh, something is still not sitting right with this. Most likely will give it a miss. The timeline still doesn't add up either if you take this thread into account.

Hi James
I Emailed him back to see if my suspicions where correct. here's the reply.

Hi again, I have relocated to Berlin due to work commitments and viewing won't be an option. I suggest going through PayPal for your peace of mind. As for payment we will use PayPal's - Pay After Delivery payment facility which offers the buyer 14 days for the car to be delivered/inspected before any funds are released to me. Regarding delivery someone will collect the car and will transport it safely to your location. (I will mail the access keys to the delivery guy once we've sorted through PayPal).

Please read the PayPal (Pay after delivery) terms by clicking on the link below:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/pay-after-delivery-terms

This purchase protection guarantees that the car is exactly as I have described it; in other words, once you've paid through PayPal - PAD, you will have the chance to inspect it as i won't get paid by PayPal before delivery. I will get paid only after you confirm that you have received the car in good order as described.

Let me know if you want to go ahead as I still have quite a few more offers from potential buyers. If you do want to go ahead please confirm your PayPal email and address along with your daily contact number.

Kind Regards,
Steve

So 100% scam.

This very much sounds like the scam that went around a year or so ago in the furniture industry.There were adverts from a seller selling large woodworking machinery in Inverness.Its long way to go and view an item so he would send pictures taken from the web ask for a deposit people paid and he disapeared.I hope I am wrong but beware.

Last edited:
I just came back here to give the same 'Berlin' update. Unfortunately I am now convinced its a scam. usually I can see them a mile off. In my mad excitement and enthusiasm I am glad i took a little time to google the reg number and the email addresses etc as it just seemed like one of those too good to be true opportunities that I never find. I hope any potential purchaser will head to the forum for research before buying to save themselves the heartache.
Just for the google bots that will hopefully pick this thread up B407LRR Inverness, possible Ebay Scam. As far as we all know, the car is probably still with an unsuspecting owner in Essex.

Happy cruising everyone.

Anytime someone on eBay asks for contact via email it is unfortunately a scam. If you're in any doubt, report it as a fraudulent listing, eBay will get in touch with the owner of the account and verify it authenticity. If it's still there in 24 hours it's genuine.

James, I knew a guy who was selling a 40 a couple of months ago, the bodywork needed some love (as do all 40s) but he'd had a lot of mechanical work done (it had an MOT) and it had an original winch and original recovered front seats, if you want to recoup some money you'd get a couple of thousand selling those. He was asking 7k iirc, do you want me to give him a call?

Anytime someone on eBay asks for contact via email it is unfortunately a scam. If you're in any doubt, report it as a fraudulent listing, eBay will get in touch with the owner of the account and verify it authenticity. If it's still there in 24 hours it's genuine.

James, I knew a guy who was selling a 40 a couple of months ago, the bodywork needed some love (as do all 40s) but he'd had a lot of mechanical work done (it had an MOT) and it had an original winch and original recovered front seats, if you want to recoup some money you'd get a couple of thousand selling those. He was asking 7k iirc, do you want me to give him a call?

Unfortunately the ebay listing keeps disappearing, then re appearing, most likely to make it hard to pin down or report. Ref the 40, sounds like a nice project but I need to get saving again as I have just bought a leaf sprung Nissan Patrol and i'm trying to find funds for a 60 series to keep it company.

Thanks, James.

Back