Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New company car

Well, deal completed today. Mondeo estate. Requested a Titanium so hopefully that's what'll be! Handing notice in tomorrow. That'll be fun......:D

Sent from my Galaxy Note

WOW,

Wish I could have a nice Titanium Estate.

Now we are looking forward to the road test / report.

Gra.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Contract all signed and it states a Titanium (140PS) in Hypnotic Silver (a nice light graphite grey). Roll on 28th Feb.

Nice, quite a flying machine, if the truth really be known.

Gra.

Eh, it's not the 28 Feb yet. Or more accurately, 1st March! 2 weeks and then I'll let you know. As long as delivery doesn't let it down. :eek:

Sent from my Galaxy Note

Im in a quandary as well, have been offered 4 days work a week, nice money, but it means I will be doing a much higher mileage (currently less than 5000miles pa).

Means I have to consider swapping the prado for a more recent ie more economical, model, or maybe running a seperate car.

I dont want to get rid of the prado, really like it, but its not a commuter, but running another vehicle is £££££. The irritating thing is my dad stopped driving last year and we sold his astra estate.

I suppose the 120 series would be an option, maybe its a good excuse for a change.

Def need a 4x4 for the 4x4response stuff, and ideally a toyota.

Or keep the 95 and run an older car?

Doh.

10,000 miles a year is considered average , any 4x4 wiil probably average about 30mpg if most of its on the motorway , buying a second car means more tax , insurance and maintenance which will cost far more than the extra fuel you would use if you stuck with the prado . A newer prado won't save you much fuel wise and if theres any finance involved interest will cost far more than anything you save on fuel .

For me the options would be either keep the prado or swap it for a ford fiesta . Need i say more !

Buy something cheap (circa £2k) and break it for spares when it gets to the end of it's life. I'm doing that with my V70 at the moment; I paid £3k for it in 2007, put 55k on between 2007 and 2011 and then it's been off the road since. Now upto £600 for parts from it, and that's before I weigh it in. I reckon if you buy under £2K you'll get a good few years out of it, and then when it fails an MOT break it. I think the key is to get something with a good owners (and enthusiastic DIY'ers) forum, as they're more than happy to buy 2nd hand parts that way.

On that budget and basis you could get an LJ70 or another 90/95...

I suppose the other option is for me to buy a set of road wheels/tyres for the prado, if that costs me say £600.00, will get me maybe a couple of mpg more.

Would make it a little quieter on the main road as well.

Pete

How far will you have to drive before you break even after spending £600 on tyres to improve fuel efficiency?

I reckon I will do about 500 miles per week, the lc does about 25 overall, so 20 gallons, about £150.00

A eurobox at 40? Mpg, say 13 gallons, so £85.00

Thats about £65.00 a week, so a big difference.

26000 miles a year - i think i'd be wanting a company car with a fuel allowance !

I suppose the other option is for me to buy a set of road wheels/tyres for the prado, if that costs me say £600.00, will get me maybe a couple of mpg more.
That's not what you said, you said you are considering spending £600 on road tyres for the LC to get better a couple mpg more. So if your LC did 27 mpg with road tyres and 20 gallons cost you £150 you will need to drive 27k miles before you start to see the savings, about as long as the road tyres will last so no point for just a cost cutting exercise.

But if you send £600 on a eurobox then that is a different matter, even after you take into account additional insurance etc.

Back