Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New FJ40 owner from Minnesota.

Big A

Country Flag
united_states
I just picked up my first FJ40. It is a 1966 and it is a pretty solid rig from Montana. I trailered it back from Billings a couple of weeks ago. It has minor rust spots on both rockers and under both rear gates. I bought it without a motor and transmission but I was able to pick up a 4spd and transfer case from a mid 70s fj40. Since this is originally a 3spd I will have to cut a hole in the floor to fit the 4spd trans and newer transfer case. I have not decided if I will put a 2f motor in it or go with a small block Chevy. I want it to be a pretty stock looking rig with maybe just a small suspension lift. I think I will first paint the frame and work my way up. I will post a picture soon and I am sure I will have questions as I am working on it.

Thanks

A

Welcome to the club, you will find there are more than a few fellows here who share your love of land cruisers and when you get your post count up enough some pictures would be much appreciated.

Good to see another USian on here. You'll find that this forum is more Euro- and Australian centric, but they have some good info here.

Where in Minnesota are you from?

I wouldn't give a second thought to converting it to a SBC. Long term, your bank account will thank you.

Drew

Last edited:
Hi and welcome love the old 40's I have fj40 and a. Fj45 pick up with hj60 running gear in them Tave fun with it :thumbup: from tonytoyota .

Thinking of engine choices what would probably work well would be a old 60's or 70's chev 4.1 straight 6.

I believe that in that age cruiser you cant beat the sound of a straight 6 petrol and it should fit with minimal fabrication requirements, and it will look and sound right.

Chev 4.1

Landcruiser 4.2

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks 120 MM. I live in a small town just inside MN about 30 miles east of Fargo, ND. Thanks for the advise on the SBC I am still undecided which way I am leaning towards.

Julian,

I agree I dig that inline 6 sound also that is a great idea of a Chevy straight 6. That is a great idea I have not thought of. I just found a complete 2F motor for $250. The story is it ran when taken out but we all know how that goes. I think it is probably a good price and would bolt right up to my 4spd trans I would just need to track down a 2f bell housing.

A

That puts you near Detroit Lakes or so.

My family lived in Minnesota before moving south to the Storm Lake area in Iowa.

Good luck in a really cool project!

Big A it might be worth asking Chris at FNB, on this forum he goes by Blown80, for parts you are having a hard time locating, he is in Aus and I have a suspicion there will be loads of early cruiser parts out there.

The only problem may be shipping costs but it's worth a try ;)

Congrats Big A.
I'm as jealous as.
I have the good fortune of looking after a lovely ol' HJ47 for my good mate TonyS on here. Every morning I get to enjoy the view of her classic lines. They simply are a beautiful thing.
Thank you too Julian. Appreciated.

That puts you near Detroit Lakes or so.

My family lived in Minnesota before moving south to the Storm Lake area in Iowa.

Good luck in a really cool project!

Yes I live near Detroit Lakes. Wow its a small world.

Big A it might be worth asking Chris at FNB, on this forum he goes by Blown80, for parts you are having a hard time locating, he is in Aus and I have a suspicion there will be loads of early cruiser parts out there.

The only problem may be shipping costs but it's worth a try ;)

Right on. If I am unable to locate something I will check with Blown80. I have owned several different vehicles but this old FJ40 just puts a smile on my face. This is a cool website for info and I am glad I found it.

A

Here is a pic.

photo (27).JPG

Looks like it is going to be Chevy V8 powered. I just picked up a 305 with only 30k miles.

I will post a build thread when I get started. :icon-biggrin:

A

Nothing beats cheap power. Good engine choice.

Back