Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Not really an issue with the diff, normal road use and considerate off road, as in not hammering the hell out of it, will have no effect on both versions.
The front suspension set up is down to personal preference imo.
Live front axle fewer moving parts but more agricultural ride and handling and unsprung mass.
Independent front suspension (IFS) better road manners and handling but more moving parts.
My personal preference is for live axles as to me it seems likely to have better long term reliability and better ease of maintenance, but that's just my opinion.
Sadly here in the UK with the issues we have with salt on the roads every winter the brackets on the axles and chassis are prone to corrosion and cracking, especially with hard use.

Oh I know all about the corrosion in the UK. Spend more than 1/2 the year in the UK so very aware... thankfully not a problem in Zim and the cruiser has spent it's whole life in Zim. A long way from the sea and garaged all it's life so not even that wet in rainy season. 1998 and absolutely rust free what a joy... I'm sure the axle will be just fine for what I have in mind. Just a bit of gentle off road and a bit of bush camping etc. It's the corrugated dirt roads that hammer your car here, oh and the ever increasing number of quite scary pot holes that are a real problem.

If the car has been used offroad, and gotten stuck, it is not unlikely that the front diff was changed at some time. With "mild" driving there is normally no problem. According to what I've read, most 2-pinion diff failures happen when there is a high or sudden force backwards. Typically when stuck and rotating wheels suddenly get a grip; or when rescuing someone stuck, towing in reverse.

My guess is it's never had anything other than fairly mild driving.. probably not going to anything to harsh from me either..

Back