Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New MOT test

Well thats not good! :thumbdown:

Especially the bit that says there is a 2500 pound fine for driving away from the test center even if the old MOT certificate still has a few days to go. :icon-rolleyes:

Looks like they are trying to sort out "cheats" on the more modern diesels with DPF alterations and the older diesels including the 80 and 100 will not be affected so emissions test for latter will not be altered.

Looks like they are trying to sort out "cheats" on the more modern diesels with DPF alterations and the older diesels including the 80 and 100 will not be affected so emissions test for latter will not be altered.

I wonder if it will apply to the headlight washers ... mine haven't ever worked

That's what I was thinking Grant. One on my 80 rusted through and fell off.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
how bad will the bumper damage have to be for a fail?
my wife's car has a few dings in the bumper from where she tried to take out a wall at home a few times :lol::lol:
luckily its a petrol so all those diesel stuff wont apply to her.

My MOT expires on 22nd may can I take it in earlier to avoid the new restrictions? I thought originally it expired on the 17th, bugger!

Chas you can still take it in a month early. But if it fails it fails.

It does confirm that the residents of this country are treated like cattle!

Sounds like hype. You couldn't drive a car in unroadworthy condition on the road without risking a fine anyway.

It's more like a HGV test where if we had a serious fail we would get a prohibition and the truck would have to be taken back on a wrecker.

They have changed 'advisories' to 'minors'.

We always used to be able to mark fails as dangerous anyway.

Tyre pressures weren't a fail as such before, but you would fail on brakes in the brake rollers if the tyres were flat. In the training they told us just to put some more air in the tyre to get the test done and advise.

Headlight washers not working were a fail before with xenon headlights fitted.

Reverse lights should be working sounds fair enough.

Bumpers used to fail on sharp edges (it was if you could scratch yourself walking past it parked, nothing to do with collisions).

There are some crazy things in the MOT test, such as having anything hanging from rear view mirror, or in between the driver and windscreen, but anything in front of the windscreen is completely free, you could have wheels bolted to the bonnet until you couldn't see past them but it would still be a pass.

It does sound like the new system will be abused though, you can imagine unscrupulous garages telling people about 'the new rules' meaning they have to have repairs done or get a £2500 fine.

No one has mentioned if the data from the MOT test will be passed on to the police, but it sounds like it could be a lot of work for them if it is.

Passed today (after some chassis welding of course but only £160 cash!)
So have another year in the 60 - at least.

Well I told you TP that the older diesels are best to own and will be forgotten LOL.

It might be old but im sure my 60 pollutes less than about 5 million lorries in uk, so cant see how that can ban one and not the others for a long time.
Another 40 years hopefully. By then i will be too old to care!

Well I told you TP that the older diesels are best to own and will be forgotten LOL.

I hope so Frank, and that these new tighter regs are not just a stop gap measure. Making 40+ year olds vehicles excempt altogether certainly backs up you’re thinking though. Maybe they’re expecting the numbers of such old vehicles still in use will gradually decline to a negligible level but if they find that people are hanging on to them and are prepared to pay out for repairs and maintenance to keep them running then, who knows?

Ben your 60 will never produce more pollution than the container ship carrying you a new Cruiser from Japan!

They could well be banned from cities or charged for entering. They havn't banned the traction engine yet.

Back