New (to me) HJ61

yogi

Garage
Country Flag
ireland
Just go my first 60 series, its a 1986, Aussie spec HJ61

IMG_2012.jpeg
IMG_2013.jpeg

I'm of the opinion that its lifted, its definitely sitting higher than one i drove in Uganda for a while.

I'd like to keep this stock (aside from the bar), how do i go about getting the ride height back down to normal?
IMG_2014.jpeg

very nice, does it have a body lift? the suspension set up looks normal but the leafs don't look stock (probably terrain tamer?) standard shackle length so its either a body lift or the springs themselves are arched to give a lift, stock leaves would do it. hope you enjoy it, get some more pictures of it loaded up! cheers

very nice, does it have a body lift? the suspension set up looks normal but the leafs don't look stock (probably terrain tamer?) standard shackle length so its either a body lift or the springs themselves are arched to give a lift, stock leaves would do it. hope you enjoy it, get some more pictures of it loaded up! cheers

I may try to figune out the body lift situation. Extremely annoying having no other 60 to compare it to. I've only seen one here in Ireland in years and years.

You hardly have a picture of your body mounts for a comparison please?

Looks tidy. I don't think you can get OEM suspension any more so it might be better to leave it. @AndycruiserguyLomas might have some? Terrain Tamer are also a possibility.

HJ61 are great cars. Easily keep up with modern traffic

Very easy to keep up tbh, i'd previously only driven a 2H and it was as slow as a wet week. More so ever than a 1HZ I also drove before.

Its fairly tidy, few bits of rust but and a few dents and scrapes, but i really like the patina that gives it

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It looks like its lifted by 2". As it got OME dampers its likely its got OME lifted springs.
The only way to get a decent ride in an 60 is to refurbish a set of standard oem springs This involves stripping them right down, shotblasting and painting each leaf, removing the wear ridges then replacing all the plastic cushions and reassemble. Only use genuine Toyota rubber bushes and don't tighten the anchor pins and shackles untill all the weight is on the wheels.
They shouldn't be greased either.
Sometimes I have the top two leaves re arched by 1" just to give a little stance to the truck but it doesn't affect the ride.

They are a bit steady in 2H form but with an aftermarket turbo conversion ( especially a Turbo Technics set up) they go as well as a 12HT.

It looks like its lifted by 2". As it got OME dampers its likely its got OME lifted springs.
The only way to get a decent ride in an 60 is to refurbish a set of standard oem springs This involves stripping them right down, shotblasting and painting each leaf, removing the wear ridges then replacing all the plastic cushions and reassemble. Only use genuine Toyota rubber bushes and don't tighten the anchor pins and shackles untill all the weight is on the wheels.
They shouldn't be greased either.
Sometimes I have the top two leaves re arched by 1" just to give a little stance to the truck but it doesn't affect the ride.

They are a bit steady in 2H form but with an aftermarket turbo conversion ( especially a Turbo Technics set up) they go as well as a 12HT.
Any idea where a chap would track down a decent OEM set Andy? I see the (odd) 80 here in Ireland and some 40 series, but i've only ever seen one 60 in years and years. I do remember a few, and even drove one, back in the 1990s but they seem to be long gone.

Yogi my brother in law lives near Kells , I have a place near Belmullett and am regularly over with the 60
I used to hunt with the County Meath Foxhounds, Kells is about an hour away from me! Belmullet is lovely

Yogi it’s wild when the wind and rain hit land coming across the Atlantic

Great to see another 60 in Ireland. Looks great Yogi.
Any idea where a chap would track down a decent OEM set Andy? I see the (odd) 80 here in Ireland and some 40 series, but i've only ever seen one 60 in years and years. I do remember a few, and even drove one, back in the 1990s but they seem to be long gone.
A mate of mine saw one the M50 the other day. Looked great. I'll try put up a pic.

Back