Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New to the forum and looking to buy my first 40/42 diesel land cruiser

rrichr

Country Flag
united_states
Hi everyone,

I am actually reading the FAQ's and trying to learn what to look for before I dive in on my first purchase. I am normally not this patient but my wife is assuring me that I will be this time.

My intentions:
Short distance daily driver with some hwy that will get roughly 30 miles to the gallon, run on bio-diesel and take an EMP blast and keep running. I am a do-it-yourselfer and have rebuilt large outboard motors a 1955 International harvestor gas tractor engine as well as do all my own mechanical work for over 20 cars and at least 10 boats in my lifetime.

I like the features of the BJ42 LX but not all required. I want to spend the right amount of money to either purchase or build a reliable drive train and all structural rust and most cosmetic rust. I kind of like the idea of a multi-colored truck primer and other patches. I am pretty sure I don't want to spend the money required for a full restoration.

In reading through the FAQ's they seem to be pretty old but I am not sure they are in order by year so forgive me if I am wrong.

I am trying to build a solid check list so I know what I am getting into for my wallet and to avoid those looks from my wife like I over promised on something...

Any suggestions on regions or countries to buy from to get the least abuse? I have heard that higher risk of heavy rust in areas of heavy snow due to road salt such as Canada and Northern US. What about Costa Rica or Australia?

I live in Canada....and for the most parts...the salty roads during winter just eat away at theses older vehicles... I'm rebuilding a 1981 BJ 40 as we speak...and I was lucky enough to find a good tub originally from California with basically no rust. Most vehicles I had seen around here were required major body work.... I think you would be better off starting with a nice rust free(almost) platform.... Will be cheaper in the long run.....and will last longer for sure..... I plan on storing my vehicle during our harsh winters for a few months every year.... Hope you find a nice one...good luck... BEEJAY

Back