Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie introductions and info

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Noticed a few people joining which is great as more the merrier.

Quite a few dont add any info about location and truck etc, or even do an introduction which i actually consider a little bit of bad manners.

Is there a way to encourage this or even make is mandatory when someone joins?

I agree I guess. I have asked if the location field could be mandatory, but then people just put 'Over there somewhere" or 'Third toadstool on the left' and that gets them in.
They usually update their details when prompted. If not - they won't get any help.

Chris

not all are heavy forum users like some of us :oops:

I dont think anyone will see it as a secret where they are from or what motor they have, some just like to browse etc.. Joys of a free forum means you will get lots of people browing and lots that just use the forum to log on ask a question, get an answer and them log off till next time, I presume most of the members will fall into one of the 2 catagories and dont really see any point in filling in the rest of the info, or dont even log on for long enough to fill in the information

It could be made mandatory but then as Chris said, people will either fill in rubbish or just leave.

It's funny though having it because it's a dead give away for spammers. For each new user, I get an email which I either delete the user or approve them. The location field is often a hint as to spammer or not - if the answer is somewhere in the US (often Florida or San Diego) then there is a good chance they are spammers. A quick check on their real location (yes, I can see to varying levels ;)) always brings them up in Nigeria, Pakistan or India.

As J66P pointed out, there are a lot I suspect who register as a way of keeping track read vs. unread posts. Having a quick look now, there 47 users online, only 13 of which are registered, the rest guests.

Slightly off topic but hey... :whistle:

I must admit when I first put my location on my profile it wasn't actually where I was, it was Wimbledon Police station
hahaha-024.gif
, that was for a bit of security because I then kept the Cruiser on my front drive as it wouldn't fit in my garage with the roof tent on.
Now the garage has been converted to near-like hanger proportions :roll: and the truck can be hidden out of sight I have now changed my location :thumbup:

Hi Crispin,

So still a lot of spammers wanting to ply their wares of some sort?

I know the IP gives away most locations, as I am sure mine in China must stick out like a big red flashing light.

Just what do the spammers really hope to gain?

Graham

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Couldn't you do it like LCCSA?

When you join there, you have to fill in your details properly & they ar vetted by a mod before you get access.

Hi Brett,

The trouble with making it too difficult (well for some) is they just don't bother to read or post.
Then perhaps the club would also lose in some way or other.

I am sure you have tried to join some sites, just to have a read, then a read leads to a post, but then given up, because it's just too inconvienient, well I have any way.

Graham

Brett said:
Couldn't you do it like LCCSA?

When you join there, you have to fill in your details properly & they ar vetted by a mod before you get access.
I'm pretty sure LCCSA don't force people to do an Intro - obviously they like people to do them for the same reasons we would. It's a delicate balance between balancing the needs of the heavier forums users and the casual visitor.

Maybe we could have a one-liner asking/encouraging newbies to make a brief intro in the approval message/email when you approve new members, Crispin?

Sorry, Brett, your link just leads to the LCCSA site so not sure what requirements or rules you might be trying to point out. I know that you have to provide some info on your truck etc to register on LCCSA but as per my previous post, I am not aware of them requiring you to introduce yourself on the forum before you can register (how could you post that intro if that was the case?)

What you're describing about vetting happens here as Crispin mentions, although there may be some differences in the info required here vs LCCSA for that 1st registration. In both cases that registration info does not end up on your "public" forum profile - that is entered by the member.

Cheers,

I don't agree much with the closed door policy of some forums and the strict name requirements for some. It says on the sign-up form that it would be better if you used your name but in reality, it's not exactly a big deal if you don't.

The whole closed door thing is a bit "nose up in the air", like a private party type thing. What's the point? it's an open forum.
The only restriction is users are (loosely) vetted before they can post. If a spammer does get through then people are quick enough to PM me or one of the other mods and we remove the post and kill the user (really, we have a team of cross men that go to their house and kick their dog)

When I (puke) had a land rover I found a few LR sites which needed registering before you could do anything. Some of them had forms which would confuse the folk over at the passport office. It all seemed a bit high and mighty.

The reason we started this forum was because of the rigid ways of "the other" one and what a bore it became. Apart from a few "must haves" here, it is a pretty happy-go-lucky place. :thumbup:

Interestingly if I go to the LCCSA site it logs me in automatically, I don't have to enter my username and password to sign in :confusion-confused:

You can also do that here, Chas :p Just check the box to log you in automatically each time you visit :thumbup:

Andrew Prince said:
You can also do that here, Chas :p Just check the box to log you in automatically each time you visit :thumbup:
But as far as I know I hadn't done that, it's not something I would have done deliberately, I don't do it on this forum.

Andrew Prince said:
Sorry, Brett, your link just leads to the LCCSA site so not sure what requirements or rules you might be trying to point out. I know that you have to provide some info on your truck etc to register on LCCSA but as per my previous post, I am not aware of them requiring you to introduce yourself on the forum before you can register (how could you post that intro if that was the case?)

Strange, the link I posted should take you to the registration page, it does for me? I'm afraid I didn't pick up on the bit about an introduction Andrew :oops: , so my posts were/are specific to supplying some detail about the user & their truck. :thumbup:

This is a segment of what the text says, (copied from LCCSA website) I hope this is ok to post?

LCCSA Registration Agreement
PLEASE read the information below very carefully, especially the section on the 'user name' convention. At the LCCSA your username is your name, in the format "Firstname Lastname" e.g. "John Doe".

This means that you also need to comply with the uppercase/lowercase convention, i.e. John Doe.

Exceptions to the format "Firstname Lastname" e.g. "John Doe" is applicable if the same name already exists. In that case, you are permitted to register with "Lastname Firstname" or "Firstname (Initial) Lastname" or "Firstname (number) Lastname".

Please ensure you enter your username precisely in this format as well as follow the upper/lower case convention or your registration will not be successful.

You are also required to enter all other relevant details, in particular your location and contact details.

Cossack said:
Andrew Prince said:
But as far as I know I hadn't done that, it's not something I would have done deliberately, I don't do it on this forum.

Crikey you must have typed your password in a lot Chas! :shock:

Brett said:
Cossack said:
Andrew Prince said:
Crikey you must have typed your password in a lot Chas! :shock:
Don't have to, Norton 360 remembers sign on details for me, when you go to a site and get the log in page they magically appear and you then click the sign on button, I never have to enter them for other sites, but I hadn't told Norton to remember the LCCSA one so they don't get automatically get entered.

Was pondering why people might have problems having to enter details each time they come to a login etc. Then I remembered, not all you poor people have a

MAC

:laughing-rolling:

Oh you gotta laugh.

Chris

Back