Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

no speedo or 4x4

Bruce Cameron

Country Flag
australia
Hi guys I have a GXL fulltime 4x4 1993 landcruisers . I have had a part time 4x4 installed and the gearbox rebuilt ,and now I have no speedo nor does it go in to 4x4 . It has gone into 4x4 after hitting a washout /water crossing and the light on the dash switch would go on and off but it would still be in 4x4 .This is the only time it has gone into 4x4 . Has anybody had anything similar happen or know how to fix it . I do think it is electrical just not to sure where to start looking .
Cheers
Bruce

Hi Bruce and welcome to the forum.

Your problem sounds like it stems from the work you have just had done. I would suggest you crawl under your truck and check all the plugs that connect to the gearbox which also work the speedo from a little sensor that comes out the side of the transfer box. Check the connectors have been pushed fully home. You may need to unplug each connector, clean it and dry it both sides if it has become contaminated which is unlikely. My guess is the plugs were not pushed fully home and have crept back out on their seals. If this is the case and they are still clean then it's a case of pushing them home and making sure they click.
While you are there, check for any damage to wiring around that area.

How are you finding your 2wheel drive now it's converted? I believe when others have converted 80s they have become less good to drive with handling problems.

Good luck with it.

Best wishes
Richard

Thanks Richard ,

I have been underneath the cruiser and have found the wiring to be a mess and the manual selector arm is not attached ,So that mean no more taking it to a mechanic to be ripped off hahaha.
I haven't noticed any difference is the driving or handling of the cruiser .
Cheers
Bruce

Wow after further inspection I have found the wiring harness to be broken going to the speedo and the joining plug to the the gearbox harness to have wires pulled out were it looks like they have pulled it by the wires instead of the plug .

Don't worry I wouldn't recommend Dollis auto to anyone . The mechanic who worked on my cruiser is no longer there .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Much happyness here as I have pulled the wiring harness off the gearbox and soldered the wires back together ,heat shrunk them and re-wrapped them ,cleaned all connection's ,new nut on the manual lever .

I have 4x4, a speedo and now ready for landcruiser park next weekend

Cheers
Bruce

Hey Bruce, that's a result! Well done that man. :) :thumbup:
All we need now is some photos. :)

Would be grand to see your truck, perhaps do a small intro on the 'introduce yourself' thread. Pop some photos on this thread of your work sorting out the mangled mess as it sounds like you've made a really neat job of it.
We love photos on here. :banana-gotpics:

Sounds like we may need some photos of Landcruiser Park too. :whistle:

Just a thought, could it have been left loose and caught on something when you went off road? This may go to explain the pulling of wires?

Thanks Richard ,

I have been underneath the cruiser and have found the wiring to be a mess and the manual selector arm is not attached ,So that mean no more taking it to a mechanic to be ripped off hahaha.

Well Bruce, you've come to the right place now for lots of experience and information to be able to fix your truck yourself. If you're handy with the spanners, there's someone on here that's tackled most jobs before. We also know of places to get genuine parts at far better prices if you don't mind waiting a while but knowing Oz, you probably have more places than we do. :)

Back