Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil advice

bobo

Country Flag
montenegro
can somebody tell me which oil to use on 2lt engine,I know 10w40 when is new,but after 300000km?
And from experience which brand?
Thanks

Thats 184,000km.

Bobo - I wouldnt worry about a particular brand, just avoid the real cheap stuff.

A decent 10w40 semi synthetic will be fine - the crucial element is regular oil and filter changes, so I would suggest every 6000 miles or 8,500km.

Avoid fully synthetic oils, even the ones for high mileage engines, its way too fine for the Lt or Lte engines in my experience, I used it on my LJ78 and had leaks from places I didnt even know contained oil !

Theres no issue with using a mineral oil, semi-synthetic is up to 80% mineral oil anyway, if thats what is available to you, and amongst some of my unenlightened Land Rover friends its seen as preferential due to its lower viscocity, but again, dont buy cheap stuff, it can be more acidic due to the cheap crap they throw in to keep the price down - bear in mind all oil comes from the same place and starts out equally expensive, the lower prices are invariably due to cheaper additives.

Regards

Pete

Yes Pete I understand that,I change 10/40 with 15/40 for reasons which my truck have 300000km and in my area temperature rarely goes under 5 to 10 degrees and I wondered is it ok?
I put caterpilar oil and I can tell you that the engine works very quietly
Thanks again Pete You are always here to help I can see!!!
Best Regards

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
At those temperatures it doesnt make any difference which of those two oils you use.

The important bit to you is the 40 figure, so both are the same.

The 10w and 15w figures relate to cold starting thickness, but as they relate to temps on the -Odeg side of the scale, and you are at +5 to +10, it makes no real difference. If you were in a colder climate (such as UK) then 10w may be more advisable, but even then it would have to get down to -20 or so before a difference is noticeable.

My advice is go whichever one you feel makes the engine sound sweetest! Because we all have personal preferences, we tend to like the ones we want to like.

But avoid the cheapest, there are no good reasons to like cheap oil other than price, and your engine doesnt understand currency......

I dont know whereabouts you are, but never being at freezing sounds pleasant.

Cheers

Pete

Ok I understand!
I enjoy mediteranean climate,Montenegro across south Italy
Thanks Pete

cheers

Well there you go, first Montenegran Ive conversed with.

Cheers

Pete

Hi guys,

I have an amateur question. How much oil should I put in my LJ70 1986 2.4 TD?

Pino,

I recall somewhere between 6 and 7 litres, the obvious solution being to check the dipstick regularily whilst filling it....

6.5l without oil filter change, 7.5 with oil filter change

Back