Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Overland tools list - for general & specific tasks

It's only the rear bearings that are a fairly major job on a 100, the fronts are ok like an 80.

Following jobs you cant do at the side of the road.
Wheel bearings as these are pressed into the hubs i think on a 100
Prop uj you would struggle with but take the tools to remove prop.

As for chang7ng sensors i would find out also how to looop out.

Now what i think is you have had to many landrovers!!

Remember people all over the world take these cruisers all over the place with nothing.
As they say go to the desert in a landrover if you want to come back take a cruiser.

You have a very good 100 that will go on for years and years.

Stu

Thanks Stu - your summary is correct: too many LRs. And as you say plenty of places know how to fix these things if they go wrong. In terms of items like, say, the rear wheel bearings that are impossible to do road side then I will consider pre-emptive replacement - particularly as the rear will be taking some massive loads. My car hasn't done much mileage yet so probably not worth it - but fore-warned is fore armed as they say.

One of the benefits of a cruiser is the need to take fewer tools/spares, but being a cruiser 'virgin' so to speak I'm still finding my way around. Even on LRs some people take a crazy amount of stuff with them like spare ECUs, half shafts, springs. You're always going to have to consider that it will be a tow and main dealer job at some point - and that is where the money comes in. There's only a few things that will actually disable your car that you can fix anyway at the side of the road.

Re - prop shaft - yes remove, fix later

I always tell my self I carry too much stuff, every time I look at making my kit smaller something else seems to creep in lol.

There is a rule, the tool you need is the tool you left at home!!

tools wise I carry a standard set of sockets with matching combination spanners, screw drivers, mole grips, adjustable spanner, multimeter and wheel changing gear.

I carry the basics, hoses, filters, lubricants etc. I also carry bodging kit, wire, threaded rods (3 different diameters I can cut to the required lengths). selection of bolts and screws (including self tappers), tape (gaffer and insulating), radweld, metal weld, block sealer etc etc, you get the picture!

Before leaving on my last trip I changed the clutch and waterpump, and carried the old ones as spares, then I knew they would fit!!

I carry 2 spare wheels and at least one inner tube, even if I am running tubeless tyres

The types of repairs I had to do was replace a split hose and a lost shock absorber rubber with a piece of innertube cut to shape at the side of the piste, that lasted over 1000 miles, most of it off road.. ON another trip we cut the end of our exhaust to splice into someone elses split rad hose as they didn't have a spare.

Bodging is key!! broken springs can be bodged, you can still drive on a broken shock. Very few things will bring your vehicle to a game ending stop without warning and most of the things that will can't realistically be prepared for or spares carried to fix.

If you carry a main dealer collection of spares, the weight of them makes it all the more likely you'll need them!!

Last edited:
There are a lot of good suggestions here.Having just done my 1 Kzte motor ,I will definitely add vice grips and a small socket set as they are needed.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I use one frequently for getting the wheel back on the studs.

Wuss :)

It's true that 35/36" tyres can be back breakers especially on steel wheels but it's all in the technique.

I squat down with my toes touching the tyre. Grab it at quarter to three with your elbows on your knees. Then lift with your arms and lean back slightly whilst trying not to poop yourself.

Lol.

+1 for knowing how to do a roadside bodge and carrying a few old parts as emergency spares.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies - I don't see a definitive list against each task yet :). On a personal note I've been fortunate enough in my earlier years to have rebuilt engines, gear-boxes, differentials etc, so have at least been there and done it, albeit not regularly and not as a professional. These days lack of time and a bit more money has made me a bit lazy.

It is the knowledge like a thin 14mm or a long throw socket which is indispensable - and thank you. My toolkit will have some things like mole grips, multi-meter, pry bar etc etc as weight for weight they can sort out a multitude of problems as the posters above have said. However, at the moment my kit includes things like stilsons, 3 or possibly 4 hammers of various descriptions - these are the sort of things I need to give more thought to thinning out. And then make sure I have packed the ball joint splitter, feelers etc that are necessary to keep the truck going (for 200 miles say until I can get to a garage).

In terms of what I would hope to be able to do:
Oil change Engine (emergency)
Oil change diff (emergency)
Replace front wheel bearing
Replace rear wheel bearing
Replace brake pads
Replace prop-shaft UJs
Replace/repair starter motor
replace/repair alternator
Replace ancillary/fan belts
Fault find electrical
Fault find and engine diagnostics including resets
Replace major sensors - crank position, air flow/density etc - where these are known weak points/disabling and are not an engine-out job
Replace oil seals - this will have to be a sub-set suitable for road side repair...ie the easier ones and ones which could disable the car
Shock absorber bushes (but not other bushes) - if only to get a knackered shock out of the way
track rod ends

What I'm not planning on doing is:
put tyre on rim or straighten wheels (2x spares fitted, all alloy)
Any other suspension bushes (new, poly)
Any other suspension parts
Springs/torsion bar
Major mechanicals like differential/auto box/engine

Any comments on the above list would be welcome and indeed any 'special' tools to do them

So here is the tool list so far to do the jobs above and general repairs - any omissions?

In no particular order:
Selection of HSS drill bits 1 - 10 mm
12V electric drill (no charger/batteries as it runs straight off cigarette sockets)
(1/4" DELETE) 3/8" and 1/2" socket ratchet drives
(1/4" drive bar extension 2" DELETE)
3/8" drive bar extensions of 2" and 4"
1/2" drive bar U/J style extension
1/2" drive bar extensions of 10" and 5"
1/2" drive T-bar
1/2" to 3/8" (and 3/8" to 1/4" DELETE) drive step-down convertors
1/2" drive sockets 32,30,22,20,19,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10
3/8" drive sockets 22, 19,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,6,5,4
(1/4" drive sockets 10,9,8,6,5,4 DELETE)
Set metric Allen keys
15cm steel rule
S-shaped flat and pozi combination screw driver
Torx set for 3/8" sized drive (T20-T50)
Torx set T10-T50
Set flat & pozi watchmakers screwdrivers
(Rubber mallet DELETE)
Wooden mallet
Small lump hammer
Large flat blade screwdriver
Combination wire crimper and stripper
3x Adjustable spanners 12", (10" and 8" DELETE - keep the biggest)
2x Mole grips 10" and 6"
Stanley knife and blades
Torque wrench (spring/twist type not deflection)
Oil filter wrench
Adjustable pliers - large
Hand files x3 Flat, half-round and round
Combination open/ring spanners 20,19,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10
Ring spanners (19+17),(15+14),(14+13),(13+12)
Pozidrive screwdrivers 6x100mm, 6x150 (magnetic), 4x80mm
Small adjustable pliers
Side cutters
Long nose pliers
Needle files
Multi-meter
Hacksaw & spare blades
Ball joint splitter
Crow-bar
54mm box spanner
Cir-clip priers
3/8" long throw sockets - popular sizes 13,14 etc

Anything missing?

Last edited:
Things to think about:
- if you add 6, 8 & 10mm sockets to the 3/8 set, you could then take all the 1/4" stuff out
- there are a few jobs that require deep sockets - maybe take a 3/8th set
- you could also reduce the number of sockets that you take if you only go up to 15 on the 3/8" and then 1/2" for all the larger sockets only (although I did take both full sets myself)
- I don't see 3/8" & 1/2" ratchets on your list
- do you really need a lump hammer, rubber mallet and wooden mallet? a lump hammer should do most jobs
- a 10/12mm (not sure what your vehicle has) hex socket is useful for undoing drain bolts (allen keys aren't always up to the job)
- with this list of tools, I would say the 3 adjustable spanners are redundant - maybe take 1
- lump hammer = ball joint splitter :)
- on my truck only the door cards have torx heads (I'll be changing them for hex/posi when I take them off again)
- I also included a tape measure which wasn't only for working on the truck
- you definitely want to include a 1/2" breaker bar
- I didn't take large files, but I did have a set of needle files that came in handy a couple of times for all sort of jobs
- my telescopic magnet is worth its weight in gold
- multi-meter?

Aside from the sockets, hammer, etc... The most valuable tool I bring anywhere and everywhere is my Leatherman Charge... It's no replacement for the tools it impersonates, but will get you out of trouble more than you can imagine. I will not go out in the truck without it.

On our recent Alpine trip I brought..
Full socket set - 150pce case jobby
Lump hammer
Vide grips
Water pump pliers
Gas soldering iron
Screwdrivers
Ball joint splitters

If I couldn't fix it easily with those, then in a civilised country my breakdown assist would be getting a call

Last edited:
Why bring a rubber mallet and a wooden mallet?
Oil filter wrench? Hammer a screwdriver through it.

I see no vice grips. I have saved the day with nothing only a vice grips on many occasions. Yes it strips and ruins stuff if your not careful but i (literally) don't leave home without one.

Nut splitter?
Cold chisel?

Thats a mighty selection of different sized sockets. A lot of extensions, ratchets etc to go with them.

Aside from the sockets, hammer, etc... The most valuable tool I bring anywhere and everywhere is my Leatherman Charge... It's no replacement for the tools it impersonates, but will get you out of trouble more than you can imagine. I will not go out in the truck without it.

On our recent Alpine trip I brought..
Full socket set - 150pce case jobby
Lump hammer
Vide grips
Water pump pliers
Gas soldering iron
Screwdrivers
Ball joint splitters

If I couldn't fix it easily with those, then in a civilised country my breakdown assist would be getting a call

+1 on the Leatherman

Why bring a rubber mallet and a wooden mallet?
Oil filter wrench? Hammer a screwdriver through it.

I see no vice grips. I have saved the day with nothing only a vice grips on many occasions. Yes it strips and ruins stuff if your not careful but i (literally) don't leave home without one.

Nut splitter?
Cold chisel?

Thats a mighty selection of different sized sockets. A lot of extensions, ratchets etc to go with them.

Good thinking on the rubber/wooden mallet - one was in the tool bag and the other for tent pegs - but could rationalise
Vice grips = Mole Grips x2
Oil filter wrench = ok

I think a socket rationalisation would make sense as suggested elsewhere

Things to think about:
- if you add 6, 8 & 10mm sockets to the 3/8 set, you could then take all the 1/4" stuff out
- there are a few jobs that require deep sockets - maybe take a 3/8th set
- you could also reduce the number of sockets that you take if you only go up to 15 on the 3/8" and then 1/2" for all the larger sockets only (although I did take both full sets myself)
- I don't see 3/8" & 1/2" ratchets on your list
- do you really need a lump hammer, rubber mallet and wooden mallet? a lump hammer should do most jobs
- a 10/12mm (not sure what your vehicle has) hex socket is useful for undoing drain bolts (allen keys aren't always up to the job)
- with this list of tools, I would say the 3 adjustable spanners are redundant - maybe take 1
- lump hammer = ball joint splitter :)
- on my truck only the door cards have torx heads (I'll be changing them for hex/posi when I take them off again)
- I also included a tape measure which wasn't only for working on the truck
- you definitely want to include a 1/2" breaker bar
- I didn't take large files, but I did have a set of needle files that came in handy a couple of times for all sort of jobs
- my telescopic magnet is worth its weight in gold
- multi-meter?

Fridayman - some good ideas

I'll lose the 1/4" set and add the missing sizes and the long reach sockets as suggested.
I'll check the hex socket for the drain plugs
Yes to rationalising the adjustable spanners
I have torx heads on quite a few things so they need to stay.

I have quite a few things to add to the list still - I'll do it this weekend. So items like tape measure, gas soldering iron, needle files, multi-meter are in another case which I haven't gone through yet

I carry a hacksaw and spare blades too, has come in handy a couple if times.
As said socket sets can be reduced down.
Another vote for the leatherman, mine lives in the truck at all times.

I carry a hacksaw and spare blades too, has come in handy a couple if times.
As said socket sets can be reduced down.
Another vote for the leatherman, mine lives in the truck at all times.

Hacksaws in the other box - so +1 to that!

I would leave the 3/8 socket set at home and take the 1/4. As it can be hard to get in places with the larger sockets. Also dont leave out a 7mm socket as this is usfull on hose clips.
Been trying to post for days on this thread but no luck.
Stu

Back