Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Parking sensors

Archie

Country Flag
latvia
Hello Guys,

I have just bought a 120 Prado, 2005 model 3.0 TD
I am really worried as the back amd front parking sensors are not working. When i put the reverse gear there is just a long beep and it does not change until i put it in drive, not really sure what to do. Sensors seem fine just the top layer of paint has wear but seems fine. Has any one got any idea what it could be?

Also im planning to change the oil, can some one tell me how many litrs it needs and what oil would you recommend if the temperature could go as low as minus 30 degrees.

Thank you in advance.

Dont know about the parking sensors, but for the oils you really want to stick with the spec in your manual. 7.5lt and you likely want a filter as well.

5w30 is the UK spec. However it does not get to -30 around here :)

Try putting your motor in reverse without the engine running but ignition on,put your ear to each sensor and you should hear a faint ticking noise,if not that's the sensors you need to replace,they don't have to look bad/Brocken not to work,I had same problem with my Bmw but on them they seem to go in pairs.hope this helps

Thank you, will get some today =)
I only have a german manual that came with the car =( not sure where to get an english one.

Thank you Sag, will try that later today =)

Nothing happens still the same long beep =( might have to go to toyota =/

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you hear nothing I would check connection to them.

The sensors on the 120 have the control unit mounted in the left hand wheel arch. Take the cover off where the jack lives and rummage around there. You should find a black box with a few wires going into it. Unplug one of the sensors at a time and see which one is faulty.

Might be worth your while calling out friend Simon for prices on replacement sensors. They're dead easy to replace - pop out old one, pop in new one, connect cable. Can be done from behind the bumper.
Simon's details: http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/43602-Genuine-Toyota-parts-suppliers

Sounds like it may be worth checking those behind the bumper connections are ok first. Any corrosion there (probably unlikely) or damage (more likely) would probably cause your problem.

Archie

Assume you have an LC5 with them factory fitted, i bought mine for £25 off eBay and they work a treat and dead easy to fit!:dance:
Just changed my oil went to 10w/40, this is slightly better at colder temps although it was more based on others experience, Toyota seem to use 5w/30 in the UK, dont scrimp on quality and i would personally go for an OEM filter!
http://www.driverstechnology.co.uk/oils.htm
Link is for some info on oils, there is alot of good info spread across the web but make sure the source is good!

Back