Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

pitman arm ball joint just snapped..

Does anybody have the part numbers for genuine ball joints. ?

For my '93 I fitted(double check of course as these came back from OZ a few years ago):
Toyota 4504469115
Toyota 4504569065
Toyota 4504669135
Toyota 4504769085

Dave.

Make sure you have a blow torch to hand when you plan to fit them, BTDT on other older cars. I have coughed up for the Chromoly upgrade on the drag link and the tie bar is on back order.

regards

Dave

Thanks for that. I had to free them all off a few months ago to have it tracked.

My new HD drag link arrived today, jeeeesuz that thing is way heavy, greasable ball joints in the deal so pretty happy. Fit it over the weekend if I get five minutes and can then stop driving like a pansy, only needed car to move some worktop over to a customers, it would not fit in my van and I did not want to risk the RR, so will give the car a good run Sunday.

regards

Dave

It'll keep you out of trouble for a bit dave. Treat us to a pic when its done.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My new HD drag link arrived today, jeeeesuz that thing is way heavy, greasable ball joints in the deal so pretty happy. Fit it over the weekend if I get five minutes and can then stop driving like a pansy, only needed car to move some worktop over to a customers, it would not fit in my van and I did not want to risk the RR, so will give the car a good run Sunday.

regards

Dave

You mentioned driving like a Pansy Dave then mentioned a bloody RR !!!! OMG I always thought you were a switched on chap and driving an 80 confirms this.But a RR. Come on mate. You going through a mid life crises or something :lol:

You mentioned driving like a Pansy Dave then mentioned a bloody RR !!!! OMG I always thought you were a switched on chap and driving an 80 confirms this.But a RR. Come on mate. You going through a mid life crises or something :lol:

Young man, I think David was making reference to the Rolls. :eusa-snooty:

OK OK, I do not have clue as to why RR got in there, looking at the keyboard I cannot even claim a typo! And no I do not own a Rolls Royce but did actually sit in one once. So sorry if I gave the impression that I was a rich guy driving along the coast road in a Corniche.

Back on topic, I fitted the drag link....sort of. I am not super happy with the fitment, the ball joint tapers are huge, this stops them entering the pitman/steering arms, which in turn prevents the castellated nuts from going all the way down, the result is the split pin will not go in the hole, so they have to be wrong.

I have emailed the supplier and await a reply.

A couple of pictures for Mike.

Regards

Dave

PS. Sorry if post is looking wrong, I have to type/copy/paste as the site is playing up again.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 185
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 258
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 250
Can't see how that can be Dave, as you say, something's wrong there.

You'll already know that the tapers have to sit snug to work. I wonder what it fits? Tapers don't come much bigger than those on the 80's, unless it's for a tractor unit :?

Big disappointment I'm sure, but I guess they'll sort it out.

That is alot bigger then original. Is it an upgraded part?

Don't laugh cos I know nothing about these but on the last picture the tapered part looks a bit 'wonky' and has a split, could it be that it has some sort of protective gubbins that needs removing before fitting and would reveal the correct size?

Yeh the plastic bit comes off before fitting,but I think he's on about the actual thread.

@Clive, yep agree something a bit 'hinkey' as Abbey would say.

@Stumog, The part comes from here: http://www.euro4x4parts.com/toyota_...ng/U/steering_heavy_duty_adjustable_drag_link

There are two heavy duty shown on the page, I went for the Chromoly 4140 version, I was not going to faff about and as future parts are replaced I am going for OE or better if possible.

@Chas, as per Sag, that is a protecting cover over the taper and rubber cover.

The thread enters the pitman and comes out the other side but, there is simply not enough through to run the nut down enough to get the split pin in.

I also note the arm is fractionally long, even with it at it's shortest setting it may be too long to centre the steering wheel, it was too late last night to adjust, but I will have another look later in the week.

regards

Dave

Clearly not the right one, have them change it Dave, don't faff with it :eusa-snooty:

Got five minutes with the car today, even with both the ball joints wound right in, the only way to get my steering wheel centre is to pull and relocate it, I should not have to do that, this along with the way the tapers fit I am not happy so have sent pictures to the suppliers with measurements etc. Should get my answer tomorrow, FWIW both joints on the OE 21 YO unit are in perfect condition, no play and plenty of grease.

regards

Dave

Trouble is if you turn the steering wheel round the indicators won't cancel properly.

Trouble is if you turn the steering wheel round the indicators won't cancel properly.

Exactly right Frank, hence the reason I am not doing it! There are emails/pictures/dialogue going on at the moment, the supplied drag link at it's minimum is 112 cm, my stock item is 110 cm, that 2 cm over on the new part is the reason I cannot centre it up. Also the way the tapers are makes me think the supplied item is in the wrong box. Hope to hear from them tomorrow.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Back