Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Possible paper towel left in intake [1HD-FTE]

l3n0x

Country Flag
hungary
So I was replacing the intake gaskets (intake to head), injector lines and what not.
After putting everything together I'm not 100% sure that I didn't left a paper towel (white) in the intake - the large intake that bolts onto the head.

Anyway, the question is, if I pull the cross-over pipe from the intake to check, do I have to replace the cross-over pipe to intake gasket (again) with a new one?

It baffles me that you have done all this work yet ask a question like this.

Clearly you must know what your upto to complete the list of work you have done. Yet ask if the gasket needs to be replaced when taken off.

For 1 did it come off in one piece?

It baffles me that you have done all this work yet ask a question like this.

Clearly you must know what your upto to complete the list of work you have done. Yet ask if the gasket needs to be replaced when taken off.

For 1 did it come off in one piece?

Yeah, life with OCD..

I'm talking about the gasket "17116-17010".
upload_2019-10-9_21-49-32.png

Toyota FSM says it's not reusable, but I've seen people reuse it - hence the question.

That's what instant gasket is fsor

So non reusable means that once you torque the bolts down it crushes (or something like that), and even if you just undo & redo the bolts right away, it won't seal?

Well it's meant to be a throw away item.

If it were me I would give a little instant gasket and reuse. Let it set over night then test for leaks

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well it's meant to be a throw away item.

If it were me I would give a little instant gasket and reuse. Let it set over night then test for leaks

Cool, thanks. Or I might risk it & hope I didn't left the paper towel in there..

You could try to vacuum your intake from the turbo side. You may want to rotate to engine a bit to get a reverse flow from exhaust to intake through the right cylinder.

You could try to vacuum your intake from the turbo side. You may want to rotate to engine a bit to get a reverse flow from exhaust to intake through the right cylinder.

Good idea & I've also thought of a borescope.. The only issue is the intake heater.. It prevents such things on the FTE.. And if I undo that.. well same type of gasket(s).

I'll give this a sleep, but there are now two possible things

1, I'll try my luck and hope I haven't left anything in there (this is the likely case 99%)
2, I'll pull the crossover pipe & check it, reuse the gasket & next time I order something from toyota (2-3 weeks), I'll order a new gasket and replace it then. I'm pretty sure that even if it leaks it can live a couple weeks/miles like that.

So I was replacing the intake gaskets (intake to head), injector lines and what not.
After putting everything together I'm not 100% sure that I didn't left a paper towel (white) in the intake - the large intake that bolts onto the head.

Anyway, the question is, if I pull the cross-over pipe from the intake to check, do I have to replace the cross-over pipe to intake gasket (again) with a new one?

I know what I would do.

Q1) What do you think the right thing to do is ?

Q2) You say you suffer from OCD. What is you OCD telling you to do ?

You have 2 very simple options.

1) start engine and hope.

2) take it apart an check.

And 1 thing to think about.

How much will it cost/consequences if I don't check, and start the engine, with said white paper towel in the intake.

Good Luck, or should I say 'better luck next time'

I know what I would do.

Q1) What do you think the right thing to do is ?

Q2) You say you suffer from OCD. What is you OCD telling you to do ?

You have 2 very simple options.

1) start engine and hope.

2) take it apart an check.

And 1 thing to think about.

How much will it cost/consequences if I don't check, and start the engine, with said white paper towel in the intake.

Good Luck, or should I say 'better luck next time'

Yep, OCD or not, take it apart, remove the paper towel, kick yourself if there’s no paper towel, and reassemble using instant gasket on your almost new gaskets.

Job done and sleep easy (with no sheep counting) :lol:

Yep, OCD or not, take it apart, remove the paper towel, kick yourself if there’s no paper towel, and reassemble using instant gasket on your almost new gaskets.

Job done and sleep easy (with no sheep counting) :lol:
Spot on.

Can’t imagine it doing much harm to the engine really, but it might leave stray fibers and screw up some sensors and what not...

And God forbid it got into the fuel system some how, some of this so called 'paper towel' has got plastic fibers in it nowadays.:anguished:

True enough .... most paper seems to have some poly-content these days

Wow Guys! I appreciate the comments! Never thought it will generate this much input:)

Okay, so with a fresh set of mind I went out and pulled the intake, and as expected nothing was in there. It wasn't that bad of a job, took only 15minutes. I have a love-hate relationship with this truck, but at the end of the day, it might be stupid to ruin the engine because of this, so this was the right thing to do.

Thanks for giving me courage!:)

As for the gasket: It looked like it is in good condition (but who am I to judge). Anyway, I'm going to get a new one with the next partsouq order & swap it out some day (or not:D)

Thanks once again!

Told 'Ya' to look in the Bin!...Well done anyway, Good result in the end...:thumbup:

Wow Guys! I appreciate the comments! Never thought it will generate this much input:)

Okay, so with a fresh set of mind I went out and pulled the intake, and as expected nothing was in there. It wasn't that bad of a job, took only 15minutes. I have a love-hate relationship with this truck, but at the end of the day, it might be stupid to ruin the engine because of this, so this was the right thing to do.

Thanks for giving me courage!:)

As for the gasket: It looked like it is in good condition (but who am I to judge). Anyway, I'm going to get a new one with the next partsouq order & swap it out some day (or not:D)

Thanks once again!
Help will always be given at Hogwarts, Harry, to those who ask for it.

Sorry, I ment to say 'Land Cruiser Club' and l3nox

Back