Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Possible problems ahead off-roading snowdonia

The story following that about 4x4 drivers being targeted by metal spikes sounds rather sinister.

Happy valley has had a restrction in place that people have ignored, it's now become badly damaged. Such a great lane that will end up closed :thumbdown::icon-cry:

Judging by the number of “senior officers” of goodness knows what, that have pledged to “go and visit the damage”, it’s likely that the repairs will cost a fraction of the “senior officers’” visits.

GLASS has already offered to cough up, so what’s the big deal.

Environmental damage, and damage to fragile habitats, I dunno what and what’s that all about? Snowdonia has been there for millions of years and those “fragile habitats” have evolved to be the toughest, over the process of time.

Sorry, I can’t escape the notion that environmentalists wouldn’t know an “environment” if it crossed the street to introduce itself.

Admittedly, 4x4s should stay on the track and not go off piste, but the guys that did this damage did it unwittingly when a vehicle got stuck, they’ve apologized and have offered to pay. What more could they do?

The men/women in hats simply want to dictate and have an easy life shutting the mountain off to everyone, eventually.

I drive off road here and do my best not to cause damage, and stay on piste. However, where I have left my mark, within a couple of seasons, the “fragile environment” somehow magically healed itself.

It’s what it does, naturally, and has been doing for millions of years. What a bunch of nanny-state clowns.

Rant over... (maybe)

Incidentally the original damage was caused by the weather, iirc heavy rains and land slips.
They'll be banning the clouds from forming and dropping rain in that area, to erm protect the environment lol.

If it wasn't for a dumped vehicle (That most 4x4 groups would happily and prob easily move) that area would've been fine.
No doubt they didn't want to risk offending whoever decided to dump said vehicle and didn't get round to removing it.

I was waiting for a photo to come up with something like the battle of the Somme...

bloody hell, I’ve done more damage to my front lawn than that...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was using a set of trails over a grassland area with hills and dips and a few water holes, when I was approached by a "concerned local". He proceeded to lecture me on how I could cause irreparable damage to the fragile environment and I shouldn't be on the trail... etc.

Said trail was purpose created by the Irish Army for testing their 4x4s, trucks and troop carriers...and is publicly accessible.

As usual both sides have ignorant people, sadly it's heavily biased against the 4x4 user

Judging by the number of “senior officers” of goodness knows what, that have pledged to “go and visit the damage”, it’s likely that the repairs will cost a fraction of the “senior officers’” visits.

GLASS has already offered to cough up, so what’s the big deal.

Environmental damage, and damage to fragile habitats, I dunno what and what’s that all about? Snowdonia has been there for millions of years and those “fragile habitats” have evolved to be the toughest, over the process of time.

Sorry, I can’t escape the notion that environmentalists wouldn’t know an “environment” if it crossed the street to introduce itself.

Admittedly, 4x4s should stay on the track and not go off piste, but the guys that did this damage did it unwittingly when a vehicle got stuck, they’ve apologized and have offered to pay. What more could they do?

The men/women in hats simply want to dictate and have an easy life shutting the mountain off to everyone, eventually.

I drive off road here and do my best not to cause damage, and stay on piste. However, where I have left my mark, within a couple of seasons, the “fragile environment” somehow magically healed itself.

It’s what it does, naturally, and has been doing for millions of years. What a bunch of nanny-state clowns.

Rant over... (maybe)
The problem is clive they just dont want 4x4s at all, anywhere. So they jump on anything that will help there agenda. Walkers want the trails to be there own. They seem to forget they broke the law en mass in the 1930s in the peak district...
im afraid its another by product of a overpopulated country with everyone fighting for a ever diminishing piece of the countryside...

Done the usual lanes today (on 2wheels) and noticed a few places where 4x4’s are venturing of piste to make things more interesting I guess. A group of walkers were stood looking at a section and gave me the evil eye as I went past. It’s the unfortunate (and not unusual) problem of a minority who will end up spoiling it for everyone. A few years back there were trail bike mounted Police patrolling the most widely used lanes but these have long since gone due to the cutbacks no doubt.

The problem is clive they just dont want 4x4s at all, anywhere. So they jump on anything that will help there agenda. Walkers want the trails to be there own. They seem to forget they broke the law en mass in the 1930s in the peak district...
im afraid its another by product of a overpopulated country with everyone fighting for a ever diminishing piece of the countryside...

I understand this Mike, and it’s the reason for my annoyance/anger. Who are “they” anyway and how do “they” hold the power over the enthusiasts, who IMO are bending over backwards to “conform” yet they still face endless criticism.

I used to get really peed off when mountain biking on the Preselli hills, folks on horses saying I was damaging the track :lol:

Parts were so damaged by the horses, it was almost impossible to ride a bike over them (especially after a dry spell).

There’s 4x4s, horses, bikers, and walkers. Surely Snowdonia is big enough for everyone to have a share?

Have to agree 100% on the horse 'problem' Clive. They really carve up soft terrain into deep divets where a bicycle or even a motorcycle could pass with very little damage. I don't like horses using roads either. I dropped a Fireblade many years ago on a tightish right hander in the Peak District. When I'd picked myself up and limped back to investigate there was a pile of flattened horse shit right on the apex.

The police still patrol the Yorkshire Dales and Moors, they have bikes and a couple of 4x4's. Lots of rural crime and the network of lanes get used as escape routes!
They conduct stops on people driving lanes too making sure people are road legal.

Have to agree 100% on the horse 'problem' Clive. They really carve up soft terrain into deep divets where a bicycle or even a motorcycle could pass with very little damage. I don't like horses using roads either. I dropped a Fireblade many years ago on a tightish right hander in the Peak District. When I'd picked myself up and limped back to investigate there was a pile of flattened horse shit right on the apex.

Actually, I don’t really have anything against horses on bridlepaths, my point is they should not have had anything against me and my bike.

I don’t ride a motorbike, but I can imagine that a pile of sh!t in the road is not something you’d wish for...

There’s no tolerance left in this world of ours, that’s my main beef.

I’m against anyone carving the place up, sadly it is misused quads and (dare I say) motocross bikes which seem to be the main offenders here...

The mountains should be for everyone, and everyone on them should (and in the main do) respect that.

Back