Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Power / Accessory socket modification - Permanent Live

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
Silly little mod really, but one I've been wanting to do for a while now :icon-smile:

When I first bought the truck I fitted a four way 12v accessory adapter, fed from off of the front 12v Power Socket :icon-smile:

PB200084.jpg

You can also see from this photo that it had the added feature of a battery / charge state indicator built in :icon-biggrin:

As time has gone on and I've added a new Garmin Sat-Nav, iPhone & iPad charger and various DVD & DS chargers I've been wishing that it was a permanent live and not reliant on the ignition being on :|

IMG_2635.jpg

So pulled up the lovely electrical schematics posted up by Bor S a while back https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BwDYiToDUoPgYjNjY2QzZjgtNTZmYi00MWUyLWE2ZWEtNGQzOTg5Zjg5ZGI0&hl=nl and had a trawl through :icon-smile:

IMG_2636.jpg

IMG_2637.jpg

Located and pulled out the relay with the ignition on to prove I had the correct item and then proceeded to modify to give me the desired results :icon-biggrin:

IMG_2638.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

IMG_2640.jpg

IMG_2641.jpg

IMG_2642.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

IMG_2644.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

Popped it back in :icon-smile:

IMG_2653.jpg

Hey-Presto :icon-biggrin: This photo shows the Power Socket working with no ignition key in :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin:

IMG_2654.jpg

Only problem now is that the battery state indicator is permanently on :|

IMG_2655.jpg

Quick bit of open heart surgery and that's quickly sorted also :icon-smile:

IMG_2658.jpg

Just like BOMB disposal:violence-bomb:

IMG_2659.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg

IMG_2661.jpg

Sorted :icon-biggrin:

IMG_2665.jpg

Luckily I still had the battery state monitor that I used in the Vit, so plugged that into the 'ol ciggy socket that still comes ON & OFF with the ignition switch :icon-smile:

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

Job done and very happy :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin:

Good mod

i suppose you could have just made a spade jumper and left the relay out of the socket altogether?

did similar mod for my elec windows when i go camping.

pull the relay and pop in the spade jumper then windows and roof have power without ignition key - permanent live as with your power outlet.

Thank you :icon-biggrin:

i suppose you could have just made a spade jumper and left the relay out of the socket altogether?
I did consider making a little jumper with a couple of male spades, but the two terminals that require joining are 9.5mm ones! Not a common size spade, easy to buy female connectors for but not male! The other option I considered was to make a little solid jumper from some sheet steel, but a bit time consuming. I'm happy with solution I came up with in the end, the relay will always be where it should be, should I wish to revert back to standard and to any other eye it looks completely standard should there be any problems :icon-biggrin:

did similar mod for my elec windows when i go camping.

pull the relay and pop in the spade jumper then windows and roof have power without ignition key - permanent live as with your power outlet.
:icon-cool: :icon-smile:

Back