Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Power window issue

Resqjohn

Country Flag
united_states
92' fj80 drivers window got stuck down. Took door apart and removed motor to test and it works. Installed back in door and using a battery to test it would not work. Took it apart again and motor works. ???????????
Anyone have any ideas?

Take the switch control unit out of the door card & clean all the contacts up, careful though there's some small springs in there that will try & make a bid for freedom when you open it up.

Is it possible the armature is damaged, works with little or no load but fails under the weight of the glass or the window rubbers hardened with age and trapping the glass? I have found the windows slow as the vehicle ages, and the colder it is the slower they become or even stop. Continual pressing of the buttons burns up the non rotating armature/brushes/buttons, and then it is a matter of time whether the motor fails or the switch gear or perhaps both.

regards

Dave

I just replaced my window rubber and yes they work but not going to brake any records. Put so much grease down there that I now have a smear every time the bloody thing goes down, but at least it does just that. I also noticed the new rubber crease just below the wing mirror inside the upper door where the angle changes. not sure if this eventually stretches out.

These ol girls are getting on now. I have recently cooked my second headlamp relay (day before MOT), the headlights are barely adequate for our coast bypasses on dip, so thinking the resistances are mounting, so I will make up a new loom.

My passenger window goes up and down ok...ish from the passenger door button but, very slow from the drivers control. New window rubbers on my shopping list before something else gives up.

And for the OP, I seem to remember that the opposite side rear door motor is the same and they can be swapped? It is way back in the grey matter but it might be worth a check?

regards

Dave

Re headlamps, take a look at LED headlights from Woodypeck. Steve is incredibly helpful and LED lamps will draw far less current therefore not burning out relays.

Any burned out/ non functioning motors could be repaired. I have a contact who may be able to help.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This happened to me a few months ago right after I replaced all the window rubbers. Drivers window got stuck down. Took the drivers window switches out and gave it a strip down and clean. Put it back in and now works a charm.

I have thought about the LED lamps but unsure how the ITV (MOT) station will see them (no pun intended). They tend to pick up on the tiniest of things, if I thought they would pass then I might have a go. I do know someone who fitted them and sold the car straight after, will have a root round when I get five.

Many thanks

regards

Dave

Would you get away with letting them test with the LEDs, if they picked them up pleading they are a safety improvement as now you can see where you're going, or if all else fails remove and refit the filament lamps? It's a 3-4 minute job each side if that but I've read before about your exploits with the Spanish MOT Gestapo. [emoji4]

Without wanting to hijack too much. The MOT people need to see a 'project'. You ITV your car in the normal way, and then contact an engineer registered with the engineering college. You tell him what you want to fit, he then checks the parts list, they invariably have to have a homogaldo number. Then you fit the parts and have the car checked, so for example if you have fitted bigger wheels then you must satisfy the engineer you can brake from 'X' speed and maintain control, the speed decided by him or her. He says yes and then you present the car for another inspection. IMO this is great as you rarely see a poorly modified car in Spain but, when the simple fitment of a snorkel comes under scrutiny and CANNOT be fitted without the various codes/engineers report to confirm it is safe, it gets rather silly.

If I presented with the OE lights and then swapped to say LED's, and then got a stop by the police and they noticed them they could put me on for an illegal modification, you would also find your insurance is void in an accident. Good legislation in some areas but way OTT in others.

regards

Dave

In this country there is a lot of "health and safety" but unqualified people can put unregulated lifts on a LC with no legislation that I can see. That's madness isn't it?

Don't mean to perpetuate this thread jack, but I will anyway :lol:

Got stopped for my HIDs but got away with it! More detail here.

end of jack, sorry :oops:

Putting this tread back on track.
What a flipping day I have had. Please remind me not to listen to StarCruiser again........ Easy he said. Don't need to take door cards off he said.....

So I removed the old rubbers very Easy think this is going to be piece of piss....
No can't get the rubber to go in enough fine with off the door card,

New rubber in sweet window goes up and down the best I have had it. Now starts to rain that one went so well I will do passenger side.

Now for some stupid reason when I was lowering the passenger window I also did the drivers one. Fine you think. Not so will not go back up. Ok carry on with passenger one. Went OK but I knew there was play in the motor but ok working.

Still can't close driver window. Still raining so look at switch full of crap. Take apart clean still nothing. Ok I need to be somewhere very soon. I will put 12v straight to the motor. Mess around battery wires..... Still nothing.

Pop to my mates who I leant voltmeter too.

So after a really lot of stress today I managed to get new rubbers in.

But the drivers window is in with blocks of wood passenger has a small gap, rear offside has an inch gap and can't close the garage door fell off the runners. And I smashed my head sorting out the garage door

Time for lots of new bits

Stu
Ps sorry for the rant. Even my landy windows are easier then this.

Anyone converted there's to manual before?

Yeah yeah blame me, I can take it, even if I did say you might need to take the door cards off…[emoji4][emoji4]

I'm not bitter…[emoji6]

How's the head?

Commiserations Stu i felt exactly the same yesterday with my lights and i'm without my truck now because i decided against messing with it today when the weather is enough to have set the truck alarm off several times :icon-rolleyes:

I've just given up doing anything in this weather. At all. [emoji20]

I have been putting jobs off but as YOU said it would be easy.

Sorry I was just messing with you rich.

I know Stu, I got that. [emoji6][emoji6][emoji3]

There is some sort of overload protection on the drivers switch, i had problems with mine once trying the window way to many times, it was stuck. Eventually power was cut to the switch/motor. Over a hour later it started working again.

Back