Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Power Window Motor/Mechanism

Hey clive, I replaced the rubbers with new original items at great expense and it made no difference whatsoever, so I cleaned one of the old ones and put it back in drivers door, no difference !!! so I guess it is the motors, I'm going to do the same as chris and give milners a shout !!!!

As Chris has said in detail, I think the problem at 21 years plus is that no one thing is the cause for sluggish operation, it's the overall effect of many.

The mechanism and the runners in the frame, as new, will all be tight, no play anywhere and with a mech that relies on so many factors, particularly cantilever arms, toothed drives, and pivots, that little bit of wear (a lot in some cases) and misalignment may be enough to overpower the motors.

I can't think of an explanation for mine binding when wet. You'd think water would at least act as a lubricant, but it seems to be the opposite. I can only think that the felts in the rubbers expands or something similar, causing the extra drag.

Anyway, as Cris also says, for £60 it's a one-stop solution, hopefully. I'll report my findings if I can manage to get some.

At the moment, in the dry, mine take about 10 seconds to drop and maybe 15 to rise, but sounds like a huge struggle for the motor on the way up.

We'll see...

Clive CONCENTRATE lol. Mine were slow from almost new and have got no worse. It's a Toyota defect somewhere.

Is your LHS worse or better than the RHS ?

Well Frank, I was being a bit more general about this, but I realize this is your thread, so we should be discussing your problem, soz for that :pensive:

Yep, slow from new is a bit more tricky. My truck was 11 when I bought it so I have no idea what they were like from new.

I wonder if you can disconnect the drive gear and simply pull the glass up and down by hand, to see if it's stiff in the channels. It would eliminate part of the effort that the mech has to cope with.

If its stiff in the channels, then that might explain it, if not, it must be something else. I've never dismantled mine at all, so I'm not much help really mate.

Mine are most affected by rain. Cold they work, hot they work better, but if it rains, they stop half way at any temperature.

Like the look of the Milner units, at that price (assuming they work in my old rubbers) it's got to be worth a gamble.
Just ordered four, two for you Clive and two for me.

My RH window is worse than my LH window. If yours is the same Clive (assuming yours is LHD) that might point to a weakness in the harness.

2 out of 3 for Milners so far:-

1. They fit? yes.
2. They work ? yes.
3. They last ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
4. Regardless of 3. are they better than what you have now?

I would say there's little to choose between left & right.

Maybe I could time them, but I don't mind them being slow, the real pain is in the wet when they stop half way, or worse fully down and there's nothing to grab hold of to assist getting them back up.

Just ordered four, two for you Clive and two for me.
Thumbs up for Milner, ordered yesterday afternoon, just arrived 5 mins ago, is that fast or what?

My rear windows are even slower than the front. They have hardly been used..

I have one slick rear window and one that barely moves and has to be helped up like an ageing relative.

I've asked Milner to look into getting rear regulators too.

Just read this thread and although some time has passed I thought I would add a link to a video for anyone like me attempting this for the first time. Vehicle is a Toyota Tacoma but I don't think that will hurt.
Geoff

The revival of this thread only reminds me that (shamefully) my new front mechs are still sitting in the shed...

But now there’s more incentive, the drivers’ side (LHD) is the fastest now and the only one that goes from top to bottom and back up again unassisted (in the dry).

In the wet, it (driver’s side) stops half way like the passenger side does (every time, wet or dry).

The rear LHS (Drivers’ side) doesn’t move at all in any weather (but I’m sure the mech is trying) and the rear passenger side (RHS) is like the front one on the same side, sluggish and needs assistance on the up.

So, if Millners do decide to stock the rears, I’d like my name on 2 of those please... then maybe I’ll get around to fitting them.

(BTW, just as shamefully, the full set of new rubbers I got are sitting next to the new front mechs in the shed, as well, waiting patiently)

Last edited:
Clives Window goes up and down unassisted in the dry, and sticks when raining...

Mine sticks real bad when dry, and slides quite nicely when wet!

Stop sniggering at the back :eusa-naughty:

Back