Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Prado diff lock?

Vizsla

Hi had a look at both a Colorado and a prado today the latter being alot better its a 2002 imported from Australia has twin fuel tanks and was very clean but I'm wondering if there's and diff locks on these, I'm use to Landys with Center diff lock, thanks ash

Mines a 1997 Colorado and has a centre and rear diff lock, as far as I'm aware the 2002 should be the same.

Richie

Thanks chap it's was a prado I was looking at though which I think just has Center diff lock same as a landy

In my research most Prados had centre difflock only, well then one's imported from Japan we like that spose it depends on what they sent to OZ

My 2002 Colorado has centre and rear diff locks, not sure about the prado I know they have a different spec on gadgets and bits but not sure about the drivetrain.

I think the spec changes depending on where the truck was actually assembled but a centre locking diff is on all 90's . Those that have one have a rear diff operated by an electric switch located to the right just below the steering wheel .
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2HHqJwiHkUBL94p4UEwP_Js7gD0ssgTFtSPyMPoLFx-Cu4XFRHw.jpg

Look on the axle to be sure
DSCN5030.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers fella that's great as long as its got Center diff lock that's all I'm bothered about, thanks

Everyone I looked at had a rear diff lock all uk trucks but not one worked, and a new actuator is 400 quid ish, Worth bearing in mind when buying

Everyone I looked at had a rear diff lock all uk trucks but not one worked, and a new actuator is 400 quid ish, Worth bearing in mind when buying

Without wishing to sound thick, how do you test them??
I've only ever used the diff lock on Sluug once,I was never sure if it was my persistence or the diff lock that got me out.

If you have good ears you can hear it . Engage LL , roll a few feet forward then turn your rear diff switch , you might hear it click . If not try turning in a tight circle and it will feel like somebody fitted a wheel clamp to your back wheel . Go easy and preferably try this on grass or lose ground , you can do it on tarmac but its not healthy and might possibly cause damage .

Prado gets a CDL like all 90 variants but it gets a LSD in the rear too. So more than what you get in a Landy actually. Dashboard light indicates when lockers have been activated by flashing and turn solid when locked.

Imports do not come with rear lockers irc, only the uk prado (colorado) had a rear locker fitted. Not sure if it was an optional extra though for the jdm or adm models though.

Given that th rear difflock needs to be used to keep it in working order, and most dont get used by an un-knowing general public, a Prado does have less to go wrong. The lsd is reputed to last between 50,000 and 100,000 miles, my truck has done about 110,000 and it still looks ok when tested.

Is the Aus one white and a petrol engine? I ask as someone from here sold one like that a few weeks back, thread here somewhere. Co-incidence I suppose, but an unusual spec.

Pete

That was me Pete, it was an S plate car in white twin tanks v6 on lpg.

Back