Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

Oh you think? Huh.

OK a one side adjustable wouldn't be so tricky. Like I said, if you buy a nut and bolt perhaps. Just cut and thread the tube on one end, drill the non moving half and puddle weld the stub into the tube. Done.

Nicely done Chris,
often thought about doing mine but less then 10 mm difference so left it as drives spot on.

Ben, the toob seems as though it might be imperial. Pretty much an inch internal bore (25.6) and just over 3 mm wall.

Been sheltering in the workshop today. Got the front panhard rod done. I wanted to make it adjustable on the vehicle like the back one. However, not possible with what I have in my set up. The rod is quite short and once cut won't pass through the headstock to allow both ends to be machined. So I had to compromise really and make it a single thread adjuster.

Given the proximity of the diff pan, you can't really put the adjuster at one end either, so a central cut was necessary

P1010675.JPG

P1010676.JPG

My idea was to make a piece that would slip onto the cut end, sweated in place but not before I'd threaded the other end. This meant that all I have to do was clean up the cut end which didn't require it going in the lathe

P1010677.JPG

Then the other end was threaded 30mm x 2.5

P1010678.JPG

As the other cut end was straight, I could get that in the lathe to thread it no problem.

P1010679.JPG

That screwed in nicely with no slop. I added a lock nut next.

P1010683.JPG

Here's the polished up adjuster section. The two detail rings that you can just see are the two internal ends of the bored out sections.

P1010681.JPG

With one end shortened, I got the new rod to 810mm so that it would fit a standard 80 not just a lifted one.

P1010686.JPG

I might have them blasted an coated. Yellow might look snazzy.

Very neat Chris, as expected!
Pardon my ignorance, but by "sweated" do you mean brazed?

I don't see any bronze coloured spelter on the cranked end of the adjuster, that's why I'm asking...:think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
By sweated Clive, I meant an interference fit. Two parts at the same temperature that would not fit together. But one chilled and the other heated, they would. Once pushed together the temperatures normalise and the two section are stuck together for life.

Cheers Ben. Like all things, if I could source tube in that size cut to length all I'd have to do is thread one end, cut the original rod, thread the other end and pretty much that would be it. Oh and source some 30mm nuts. But taking a blank and boring the hole down the centre is a morning's work and a couple of tips too. Same with the rear ones. Strong adjustable PH rods would be a nice thing to be able to produce for people but the time taken would be prohibitive.

But have you got it fitted up yet?? Waiting for 'installed' pix over here. :)

Blimey mate, d'you work your guys that hard? Arrived Friday, spent Sat and Sun in the workshop and you want the whole lot FITTED too? Strewth, I'd need super powers over here to get that lot done. Nah, been hissing down and it's just plain nasty outside. Swapping the springs and shox will be easy as they've only been on there a year. But I have to wrestle with some unpleasant looking bolts on the sway bay stirrup brackets. And the ones in the arch for the extended end mounts.

I need some decent weather to work through those and swap all the bushes etc in the leading and trailing arms first. As soon as there's a spell of stable weather, I'll be under there. Not rushing into it. Getting older and slower and I'm not up against a dead line for the first time in about 5 years. So I can take my time. I won't know the true result anyway until the new roof tent comes and I fill the tanks up again. But judging by how the springs feel I don't think it's going to sag.

Hi Warren, already been asked that by an interested party. Truth is I don't know yet. There are only two options, keep it or sell it. As enhanced mild lift suspension for a standard 80 I think it's really good in terms of ride. Even with moderate loads it's good. My problem is in having 35" rubber with -30 off set. I just can't clear the wheel arch flares. With some 35's on std rims it would be fine.

I don't have a need for it - at the moment but given the trouble I went to in having the coils blasted and coated I may well just put them away for now. It's always a judgement call - store or sell. There is tonnes of life left in this and you never get back what it would cost you to buy it again when you realise you shouldn't have sold it.

Sounds like a challenge..

Patiently awaiting the 'installed suspension' pix...... No pressure...

image.jpg

:pray: Soon......

Yeah yeah, keep pushing.

Bloody foreigners.

Well he's not exactly a foreigner, more a colonial cousin. :icon-wink:

Back