Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

Tell us more about these maxtrax copies ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I don't know what I can really tell you Andy, but I have trad waffle boards. They are heavy and great at bridging etc, but they don't always get you out of a hole. But they can be multi functional. I stand on them at the back of the truck when it's wet, use them when I have a shower as duckboards, level the truck up with them, use them as a table yadda yadda. So they aren't useless. But after watching the Expedition Overland vids of the Yukon, I saw haw useful Max Trax were and how good they were. They aren't really multi functional but they are very good at what they are meant for and that pretty important. So I have something with many uses but its primary use is something it's not that good at?

OK I'll have some Max Trax. Shut the front door, they're how freaking much £1 billion each? They are eye wateringly expensive, because this is the UK and someone needs to afford a new yacht.

OK so there are TREDS and various other makes. Some as little as £60 on e-bay. I have done reading, watched you tube etc and the MT seem to be very high quality. There are several reports of competitors products breaking and splitting. I think the MT is a bit like the BFG AT tyre. Brilliant but expensive. So people by 'copies' for less money. They work, some are pretty good, but one day they will be in the skip all used up and the BFG will still be going round. Yes it will be thin, yes it will have cuts in it, maybe even patches and repairs, but it will still be legal and working.

Question is, if you could buy three sets of alternatives for the same money so you get fresh tyres regularly what would you do? I looked around at recovery boards and spoke to Devon 44. They sell MTs and Britpart. The Britpart ones are £75.

So, I could buy MTs, bolt them to the truck and in three years never use them. I could have them pinched maybe. Or I could buy the Brtipart ones. They'd certainly cost me less money to have them stolen. But and here's the crunch, would they get me out of a hole if I needed them?

Well looking at all the reports I could find relating to copies, I didn't find any that failed immediately. Or even failed quite quickly. Given that these are an emergency measure and will work more than once, I figured I d go with the copies. What seems to be the case is that if you are running a winch challenge truck or crossing the Yukon then frankly don't be a tight arse, buy MTs your life may depend on it. However, if you are following the asphalt down through Europe and the odd trip to the Welsh borders, know what? Copies will do you just fine.

http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?p...ategory_id=68&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=14

For those who don't know, the Max Trax are just shy of £300

Significant saving Chas but still a whole chunk of cash for 2 plastic boards

Significant saving Chas but still a whole chunk of cash for 2 plastic boards
You are right Chris, I've not had to use them yet, I must have been out of my mind.
big-wink.gif

You are right Chris, I've not had to use them yet, I must have been out of my mind.

If I don't find something similar in the meantime Chas, bring them with you when you come, and I'll buy them off you :icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If I don't find something similar in the meantime Chas, bring them with you when you come, and I'll buy them off you :icon-biggrin:
If I did that Clive I'd be sure to need them the next day.

Tent arrived out of the blue whilst I was on my way to Bracknell. Missus and driver managed to drag it up the drive. Got a call from D44 to tell me they were still chasing it. I said don't bother it's here! They siad that they'd been speaking to the courier who didn't even know that.

It's in a massive box. Unwrap and fit Weds.

At least it's turned up.

Gotta say I like the waffle boards, got a pair of heavy duty ones that have been well used. Just heavy and awkward to store. Get used much less these days though.

I went through same thought process as you regarding the maxtrax Chris. Saw them being used in Morocco when vehicles got stuck in sand dunes, very good. But the £300 put me off too, I didn't know there were alternatives, thanks for links

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the flesh Andy they look fine. They'd certainly get you out of a hole. Do I feel that the plastic is unbreakable? No, not really but used carefully with support underneath I'd say they'd do a good job. Can I see them being bent double in sub zero temperatures and recovering instantly? Well no, but where am I going that those conditions occur?

Hi Chris, these are much better than maxtrax and Aussie made, and a third of the price.
<br><br>http://www.tred4x4.com/products/tred-800<br><br>

or these longer ones,

<br><br><br>http://www.tred4x4.com/products/tred-1100<br><br>

The £-$ is nearly 2:1 now. Pretty good!&nbsp;<br><br>Cheers<br><br>

Tony, I watched a side by side review of the TRED and MT. The NT was a clear winner in their test. The TREDs seem to crack.

"The TREDs yes. Much better than MaxTrax. The Maxxies melt under tyre spin, much due to the design and material. The spikes are too thin. But they spend bucket loads on marketing. (Sound familiar?) The TREDs have better spike size and a lifetime warranty."

Just a quote from A friend who's used them!

The lifetime warranty says a lot! The price is significantly better and Aussie made, so should be worth a look.

The Maxxies melt under tyre spin, much due to the design and material. The spikes are too thin.

Yep I can vouch for that. I've now used mine a few times and the lugs have melted where there has been tyre spin. They are not a "grippy" now as a result. But they haven't cracked or split and are easy to store and carry.

I carry mine in a slide under roof rack. The TREDS look to be a little fatter, so storage solution wouldn't be as easy under roof rack .

Hmm, interesting that Max tell you NOT to spin your wheels. Due to the fact they will melt the studs off. But I guess you can do that with any make

Its pretty hard NOT to spin your wheels when covered in mud and water! Inevitably the wheels spin before they "hook-up" to the boards in any event. Still I'm happy with mine and will probably buy an additional set.

Back