Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 'red van' (says the 4 year old) build thread

that looks like the right one. always hard to tell exactly from the diagram! probably expensive from Toyota, I've manged to snap mine over the last 2 trips I've done.

Your best investing in a new casing if you can, I've been down the 2nd hand route and it was as a bad as the one I had and getting my fabricator to create one decent one out of the 2 I had cost a fair bit

It is the way I'm leaning at the minute... That and new bushes etc etc etc

BTW... How the hell do you get to the rear shock top nuts???

BTW... How the hell do you get to the rear shock top nuts???

Don't even try - just cut the shock off. Seem to remember that's how I did it... You could try getting a spanner on them and twisting the shock but I doubt they'll shift. That's how to get the new ones on though.

Don't even try - just cut the shock off. Seem to remember that's how I did it... You could try getting a spanner on them and twisting the shock but I doubt they'll shift. That's how to get the new ones on though.
How do you get a tool up there to cut them off?

Cut below the bowl shaped chassis outrigger that hides the nut, cutting through or above the bush. The tip of the rod should then just push up through the bowl.

flex head ratchet spanner worked for me...…………………………………………...with lots of swearing

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a 98 and a 2001 90 series both with good rear axles despite age and no special care so i'd be looking for one complete from a breakers , ratio's differ though , its written on a big white sticker on the front diff tube .

As for modifying deciding what you want and sticking with the plan will save you money , i don't know how many times i scrapped my plan and decided to spend some more :doh:

Got there in the end though

20170828_134618-jpg.138020.jpg

Those lights look nice

I wired my uppers to have everything including fog lights, but can't have brake and fog up there, the same bulb cannot be employed for both (regulations, not physics)

I have a 98 and a 2001 90 series both with good rear axles despite age and no special care so i'd be looking for one complete from a breakers , ratio's differ though , its written on a big white sticker on the front diff tube .

As for modifying deciding what you want and sticking with the plan will save you money , i don't know how many times i scrapped my plan and decided to spend some more :doh:

Got there in the end though

View attachment 156960

Hey Shayne... Welcome to the big Red van party! I've read a bunch of your threads and gained some useful insights. I intend to keep the truck so I'm OK with spending the spondoolies so long as they're in the right places. I'm lucky in that a very good mate (well sort of more like additional semi-adopted son / awesome dude) is an incredible fabricator so a lot of the things that would have been crazy money are much more affordable but some things just have to come from suppliers. Milners I'm basically going for the rear axle casing and pretty much everything that goes in it baring diff, half shafts and stubs... Figure while it's all off I may as well do it. The rest of the order is engine service parts, a 72c stat, brake lines, front and rear suspension polly bushes, top and bottom ball joints and I think that about does it. Other than that I'm planning on an iron-man suspension kit, some BFG AT KOs on 80 rims from Karl, new locker also from Karl, warn winch, either a roof tent / side tent (not sure on which yet), recovery gear and a flip down bbq (josh is dead set on it having one lol)... The rest will be fabbing bumpers, underside armour, sliders, maybe an external cage, roof rack and ladders.. . Oh not to mention a fair bit of chassis and body welding!

How's that sounding (serious question)?

Those lights look nice

I wired my uppers to have everything including fog lights, but can't have brake and fog up there, the same bulb cannot be employed for both (regulations, not physics)

As the French do say Le bug*er!

Have to be one of those naff standalone fogs then... Ick.

Sounds good though i prefer febest or genuine bushes over poly . Not sure if its been mentioned yet but get the rad out for a good clean to what accumulates between the ac condensor and the rad beggars belief mine was like a carpet made from the contents of a vacuum cleaner the first time i took it out .

I use Milners but Roughtrax supplies most of my stuff .

Rear upper lights are just for show on UK spec trucks , my smoked ones are rewired to give me 2 reverse lights , brakes and indicators . I tapped into the loom on the passenger side behind interior panels just inside the rear door iirc , and it was a long time ago .

Sounds good though i prefer febest or genuine bushes over poly . Not sure if its been mentioned yet but get the rad out for a good clean to what accumulates between the ac condensor and the rad beggars belief mine was like a carpet made from the contents of a vacuum cleaner the first time i took it out .

I use Milners but Roughtrax supplies most of my stuff .

Rear upper lights are just for show on UK spec trucks , my smoked ones are rewired to give me 2 reverse lights , brakes and indicators . I tapped into the loom on the passenger side behind interior panels just inside the rear door iirc , and it was a long time ago .

Will check out roughtrax... Why the preference over poly?

My rear bumper will be gone shortly so it was either relocate up into the pillar or have to fab bumper for lights... Also as I know what I'm like for reversing into banks and boulders I figured higher was better lol!

Rads will be coming out this week I'm hoping (depends if I start the front suspension strip down or engine service next)... My air con rad is a joke.. I think it had fins once!

In truth i can't remember but it was a bush opinion formed via the forum and specifically 90 related :think:

Longevity maybe , or perhaps the aforementioned broken turrets , worn misshaped bolt holes , all due to lack of flex , i really don't know its just a personal preference i guess ?

In truth i can't remember but it was a bush opinion formed via the forum and specifically 90 related :think:

Longevity maybe , or perhaps the aforementioned broken turrets , worn misshaped bolt holes , all due to lack of flex , i really don't know its just a personal preference i guess ?

Interesting points... I may have a rethink.

A body lift is cheap as chips very easy to do and can never fail , be a bugger to make bumpers then decide later to add one and have to redo the bumpers .

A body lift is cheap as chips very easy to do and can never fail , be a bugger to make bumpers then decide later to add one and have to redo the bumpers .

I was considering it but wasnt sure I'd need one with the ironman kit (oh and some of my body mounts look like they'd prefer not to be touched)... what've you got on yours?

plus 2 inch pedders suspension and i think it was a 2 inch body lift , not sure 38mm maybe i just went with what was available on ebay .

Back